Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Jack did decent, guess the premise and the cast was enough to sell it, I imagine Oz fell with the competition but it should be at £9m or so, with Easter Holidays, £15m total is achievable. Croods even without previews did really well, guess the family market needed a new animated film since WIR was released ages ago.

And 3D is just plain unpopular in the UK.

I don't think it's that it's unpopular, just that in the current economy it is expensive enough to go and see a film. The 3D price is pissing me off again, my mum's been looking forward to seeing GI Joe as she loves the Rock and Bruce, and has 6 free 2D only passes for cineworld. But, the only 2D show at my local has been scheduled for 3:30, too early for her, and they won't let her pay the extra £2.10 for a 3D uplift which means that she isn't going to bother. We must be close to the point where the 3D surcharge is pure profit now, surely they can remove it from the ticket price. If anyone with greater knowledge than me has more info on this I would really appreciate it.

the trouble is that RealD have the largest share of the 3D equipment market because they offered all the 3D equipment free to cinemas but then they get a licencing fee per ticket sale, which makes up some of the surcharge. the film distributors also consider the surcharge as part of the ticket price, so they also take a cut.

so say the surcharge is £2.00, of that the distributor will take anywhere up to 60% (£1.20), RealD will take probably another 60p for their licencing fee so that is most of the surcharge taken up really.

other 3D systems (master image, xpand, dolby 3D) don't all charge a licencing fee but a hefty upfront cost of equipment and installation. you'll find in some cinemas with some of those systems they charge a much lower 3D surcharge, or in rare cases none at all.

cinemas with a realD system can't take away the surcharge without cutting into their own share of the ticket price.

• Like 1

So the main chains such as Cineworld and Odeon have to make a choice between pumping up the cost for business, or pleasing the customer? It's a shame this is the situation. It's still irritating that I'm not given the option of paying the surcharge on top of a voucher. Cineworld allow it for Tesco customers, but not for people that have recieved vouchers from them.

Its doesn't help when a studio doesn't offer an option for 2D films, Paramount are being stingy not having more 2D times for GI Joe, least with Disney with films like Oz and Wreck it Ralph, there is enough 2D times.

Is that not down to the cinema how they split a film between 2D/3D showings?

Friday 22 - Sunday 24 March 2013 Weekend total/ £ Cumulative total/ £1 The Croods (20th Century Fox) £5,372,290 £5,372,2902 Jack The Giant Slayer (Warner Bros) £1,591,736 £1,591,7363 Oz: The Great And Powerful (Walt Disney) £1,345,135 £10,085,5784 Identity Thief (Universal) £1,313,162 £1,313,1625 Side Effects (eOne) £609,406 £3,400,3786 Wreck-It Ralph (Walt Disney) £236,580 £22,329,9617 Stolen (Lionsgate) £202,373 £202,3738 Welcome To The Punch (Momentum) £194,861 £974,8629 Parker (eOne) £137,027 £1,578,78110 Mama (Universal) £111,739 £5,321,101Source: EDI Rentrak

it is down to the cinema, but they are leaned on by distributors to do more showsbetter times for the 3D as that nets them more money

True, 3D is better but it is good cinema has final say.