Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Disney has one major problem with Star Wars since at least The Rise of Skywalker: A ton of Star War fans (for example, including me) think that Star Wars was just way better before Disney took over. The Sequel trilogy started strong with TFA, became incredibly divisive with TLJ and then became a meme with Rise of Skywalker (SOMEHOW PALPATINE IS BACK)

And the shows made it worse. Mandalorian Season 1 was amazing, Season was mostly good with an epic finale, but Season 3 tanked its momentum. The Boba Fett show was honestly trash (that insanely bad chase scene ...), the Obi-Wan show was just kind of ... there ... and even though Andor was great, Ahsoka was just meh. Cant comment personally on Acolyte as i havent seen it but its reception generally is obviously really bad and no, i dont believe that ALL people who dislike it are right-wing trolls, thats just a convenient excuse for the shows apparent failings.

I had very high hopes in the time when TFA came out. I think i was never so excited to be a Star Wars fan like back then. But Disney fumbled it. They had a golden cash cow and somehow forgot that in order to milk it, making consistently quality products must come first.

I will never say that the prequels are "good" movies (except for Revenge of the Sith), but now, i can appreciate them much more than 10 years ago. They "feel" like Star Wars to me when i watch them. When i watch the new stuff now, i just get sad.

All this rant here is just my opinion of course, if you enjoy the new Star Wars stuff then more power to you.

The prequels while a mess had a very direct story that the audience liked or interested in.

These new films seems to be made on a whiteboard on the spot.

TFA: Lets mystery box and do nostalgia

TLJ: Nothing in the TFA mattered, new direction

TROS: Nothing in TLJ mattered, back to past!

Edited by Torontofan

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I wonder how the Mandalorian movie is going to fare at the box office because as of now I would definitely bet on a smaller total than Solo. The failure of The Marvels should've made it clear to everyone that no one is here for TV show/movie crossovers that require the viewer to do homework (and sign up for a Disney+ subscription). Wouldn't be surprised if that played a factor in WB's decision to cancel plans for a pair of spin-off shows in the same universe as The Batman as well.

I'll take the over because I think the problem there wouldn't be Mando, it's Ahsoka, Boba existing as both a bad new show and Mando 2.5, Acolyte, etc. "This movie is the capstone(/reunion project) of a tv show" projects have a pretty good track record. I just expect them to run away from the Filoniverse/Thrawn connected universe stuff they were teasing. 

The problem is that people didn't actually watch The Marvels and that they didn't want to be forced to keep up with random stuff. Just look at the success of High School Musical 3 or next generation spinoff movies. I don't think it's going to break the bank but I wouldn't bet against John Favreau and 250M-300M seems pretty plausible. Baby Yoda is actually something that can activate a more casual fan. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Torontofan said:

The prequels while a mess had a very direct story that the audience liked or interested in.

These new films seems to be made on a whiteboard on the spot.

TFA: Lets mystery box and do nostalgia

TLJ: Nothing in the TFA mattered, new direction

TROS: Nothing in TLJ mattered, back to past!

I completely agree.

Honestly, TFA was a better movie than any of the prequel movies, but the prequel trilogy as a whole just had a story to tell that was much more interesting than the 3 disjointed pieces that we unfortunately got with the newest trilogy in the end.

They were probably better off sticking with the safe nostalgia of TFA for the rest of the trilogy, much better than trying to hit the reset button with each of the other two movies anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I completely agree.

Honestly, TFA was a better movie than any of the prequel movies, but the prequel trilogy as a whole just had a story to tell that was much more interesting than the 3 disjointed pieces that we unfortunately got with the newest trilogy in the end.

They were probably better off sticking with the safe nostalgia of TFA for the rest of the trilogy, much better than trying to hit the reset button with each of the other two movies anyway.

Likely will go down as the dumbest franchise decision ever to make a film based on nostalgia and then make a 2nd part saying the past dont matter. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m sure Lucasfilm will try to play things as safe as possible moving forward by sticking to the Favreau/Filoni model. 

Should we conflate Favreau/Filoni like this? Mando season 1 was "just make a high budget genre show with some modest lore content" while the later projects often feel like "let's make a live action adaptation of the Filoni animated tv universe" which isn't exactly the same dynamic. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

On 8/19/2024 at 7:51 PM, CoolioD1 said:

ngl this show was mid but I kinda wanted to see where they was gonna take it anyway, especially with the manny jacinto character.

I finished the show - gave it a D+.

1st 6 episodes were a B-.  Last 2 were an F.

Only character alive at the end that I wanted to follow was Mr. Sith/Qimir - hopefully, he can turn up on another show in the era.  Anyone else I enjoyed was killed off (Jecki, Yord, Aniseya, and even Sol).

I hated the writing for Mae and Osha pretty much all season - Mae was a plot device that moved as the plot needed, and Osha was spectacularly unrealistic.  I don't blame the actress for impossible acting situations - who, supposedly good and moral, and yet without huge force powers til then, turns on a father figure of 16 years and kills him literally 30 seconds after finding out he lied while he does nothing to defend himself?  How can you even act that?

With so few characters around that I wanted to follow, I don't mind that this got canceled.  Where could Mae go next season, let alone Osha?  The only question would have been when Osha tried to kill Qimir to get to the real Sith lord...and I've seen that before...

Edited by TwoMisfits