Kalo

The Wheel of Time | Amazon Prime | Adaption of Robert Jordan's expansive fantasy epic

On 2/3/2022 at 12:59 AM, dudalb said:

SO it's just like the novels?

I never got beyond the first two; just a rehashing of every fantasy cliche in the book with nothing original.Not surprised at all the show is little better.

Thats not actually an unfair statement as the first book was written as a kind of homage to LOTR so is sort of a generic fantasy ...its only in the following books the story expands in a different direction,very like the first Malazan book "Gardens Of The Moon" "Eye Of The World" is a weak start to a much greater story...

7 hours ago, Wildfire said:

They did a lot of unnecessary changes that make no sense and very few of them progressed the plot in any way...also it was odd to me that the show runner said a lot of them had to be done to contract events that occur in EOTW because it was only 8 episodes yet one entire episode(1 eighth of the series) is nearly 100% made up of events that never happen in series never mind the first book...

They made enough changes that, had they stuck to the book, they could have had a mostly faithful adaption with 8 episodes imo. Ideally 10. but they could have trimmed what they had to had made it work with 8. there is probably over 2hrs of completely new or very altered content in the show.

7 hours ago, Wildfire said:

Thats not actually an unfair statement as the first book was written as a kind of homage to LOTR so is sort of a generic fantasy ...its only in the following books the story expands in a different direction,very like the first Malazan book "Gardens Of The Moon" "Eye Of The World" is a weak start to a much greater story...

Eye of the World is a lot more derivative than the other books, but I wouldn't call it a weak book at all. It's well-paced and presents an engaging story and world. Honestly rereading it right before the show really made me realize when the show dropped the ball (for example, Shadar Logoth is fantastically written in the book and the scenes there have a lot of tension, while the show just rushed it and lost so much of the impact).