Pypa94

Poland Box Office | Avatar: The Way of Water is HUGE

Well it has twice as many copies as Shrek 3 because there are way more multiplex cinemas then in 2007 and the ammount of showings is similar or even more than Shrek 3 had.

8 days ago there was an info that they had sold 230k tickets for 50 Shades of Grey and back then it had half of the showings it has now and they were mostly 30-40% full back then and mostly evening shows. Now Friday already looks better then Saturday 8 days ago and Saturday is a just unbelievable. The weakest part so far is Sunday but it's getting better,

I'll do a comparison for Zlote Tarasy and Targówek so we will see how things changed in last 3 days ( it will be easier to count because now I will only need to count empty seats instead of tickets seats :D )

You can check Opole numbers today and I think they will be much bigger now.

Do you have an information about the number of copies/cinemas? 

When it comes to the presales in Opole, I don't have time to check them, unfortunately. :(

Multikino Targówek

Friday - 24/15/15/35/69/34/154/47/192/175/147/31/258/37/187/125/31/65       Total: 1641

Saturday -2/83/136/24/181/253/56/59/226/230/99/207/279/218/109/231/234/105/215/284/209/86/214/198/36/160/141     Total: 4275

Sunday - reservations available so it's now pointless to check but it looks at least twice as good as it was before.

Total Friday+Saturday -  5916 ( was at 4572 )

I'm not counting Zlote Tarasy because there are just to many showings  and they have way bigger rooms then Targówek. :P

I think that above 250 copies is pretty much locked.

Edited by chimpo

Norbar what opening do you predict for 50 Shades of Grey?

Hard to say. I've heard some rumors about presales I can't disclose and I haven't yet put a bet on our company board but I say it's 900-1m. It's really hard to be accurate when it goes so high since there is nothing to compare. I know only of 2 one screen cinemas who don't play it. Most of the ones that do are fully booked. I have to say the church must be envious of that attendance ;)

PS. No matter what happens this will be the biggest top20 in polish bo history. The last record was what? 1m145k? Looking at those I think I may have overcalculated but presales look as good as Shrek 3 with more screens and showings so how could it not be above 850 at least? Penguins will still be very high and even if Shaun the Sheep fails it still should be decent (and the movie is awesome, I recommend it)

Edited by norbar
  • Like 2

If it wasn't for Saturday insanity I would say that 400k would be great for the weekend. But Saturday alone looks like 400-500k admissions. I worked in Multikino Ursynów during Shrek 3 run and I remember it being insane and believe me, this Saturday looks as insane but just with twice as many cinemas as back in 2007.

EDIT: I checked few cinemas and they're still adding showings for Saturday. Cinema City and Multikino are like "fuck this shit, we are going to show only 50 Shades of Grey if we have to" :lol:

Edited by chimpo

I wish I could access BoxOffice.pl because I'm sure they have those pre-sales counted -_-

Nope they don't.

As for people thinking 600k - remember that they now look like they have similar screens to the hobbit with a shorter run so more screenings.

The Hobbit had 435 screens (not cinemas)!!! Now you get a shorter runtime by a lot so multiply their screentime by 1.5 and all they need is hobbit attendance to make 693x1.5 = 1mil!!!

O don't remember when was the last time where they dropped 60% of screenings of a movie that did 200k+ the previous week (Penguins).

@Pypa94 - VD? Venerial Diseases?

Edited by norbar

Nope they don't.

As for people thinking 600k - remember that they now look like they have similar screens to the hobbit with a shorter run so more screenings.

The Hobbit had 435 screens (not cinemas)!!! Now you get a shorter runtime by a lot so multiply their screentime by 1.5 and all they need is hobbit attendance to make 693x1.5 = 1mil!!!

O don't remember when was the last time where they dropped 60% of screenings of a movie that did 200k+ the previous week (Penguins).

@Pypa94 - VD? Venerial Diseases?

I can confirm. They even don't have information about the copies/screens.

1M is sooo unrealistic in my opinion. xD

There are first reports from Germany. It looks like 50SoG will have 1,3M/4 days in 740 theatres. The trend may increase after Saturday, but it's still a bit disappointing.

What has Germany to do with it? Poland and Germany are rarely comparable for low brow movies. Compare Poland to the rest of Eastern Europe.

I say 1m won't happen but you are betting too low. Anything <750 is a letdown. Remember some movies sell way better in Poland than in Germany (Comparatively of course). Hell compare even Wolf of Wall Street Poland vs Germany.

I don't get how can you be assuming the movie will make less than the hobbit when it's has more presales, more reservatons and more screenings.

Edited by norbar

What has Germany to do with it? Poland and Germany are rarely comparable for low brow movies. Compare Poland to the rest of Eastern Europe.

I say 1m won't happen but you are betting too low. Anything <750 is a letdown. Remember some movies sell way better in Poland than in Germany (Comparatively of course). Hell compare even Wolf of Wall Street Poland vs Germany.

I don't get how can you be assuming the movie will make less than the hobbit when it's has more presales, more reservatons and more screenings.

My intention was not the compare Germany and Poland in this case. I just wanted to highlight the fact, that it turns out that 50SoG is performing a bit disappointing in regards of the high expectations. The presales were also very strong (750 000), the theatre reports were very encouraging, but the final outcome is lower than expected. 

And btw, which movies do you mean when saying "low brow"? "The Wolf of Wall Street" did comparatively better in Poland, but in the end it played 2.5 times better in Germany than here. On average movies in Germany do 3.5-4 times better, especially recent adaptations of book senstations (Twilight, The Hunger Games). I just thought 50SoG may be placed in this drawer.

Edited by StarLord

My intention was not the compare Germany and Poland in this case. I just wanted to highlight the fact, that it turns out that 50SoG is performing a bit disappointing in regards of the high expectations. The presales were also very strong (750 000), the theatre reports were very encouraging, but the final outcome is lower than expected. 

And btw, which movies do you mean when saying "low brow"? "The Wolf of Wall Street" did comparatively better in Poland, but in the end it played 2.5 times better in Germany than here. On average movies in Germany do 3.5-4 times better, especially recent adaptations of book senstations (Twilight, The Hunger Games). I just thought 50SoG may be placed in this drawer.

Low brow - as it could be easily sold to simple, less educated people. Especially cinematically.

As for presales being strong if we get as it happened in germany so almost 2x the presales I might still be right. Remember the last official presales number we got was almost 2 weeks ago. Yesterday it was probably 400-550k. Multiply that by 1.85 and you get way above 600k ;)