YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

35 minutes ago, RRA said:

Seeing that Bay/MCU back and forth in this thread is weird for me. I'm old enough to remember when Bay was the Antichrist for the online pseudo-cinephiles much like Marvel is now lol. Now whether because the new crop of such movie fans saw The Rock when they were 8 and thus think fondly of Bay or for contrarian's sake, that vitriol against him seems to have faded. Maybe sliding irrelevance does the job? 

Bay is a good comp with Roland Emmerich. Both were blockbuster directing titans in the 1990s/2000s, but masses have largely moved on from their brands. 

Vulgar auteurism is the hot new thing for these kids today. Nothing wrong with that of course!

• Astonished 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

But it's like when I first watched Jaws; the movie had been hyped up for me by so many people for so many years as one of the best of all time.

And then I watched it and... I liked it. But I couldn't help but feel that the insane expectations that had been placed on it had somewhat muted my initial enjoyment of it

Can't say about EAAOO at the moment but "+" for Jaws. 

Never bothered rewatching it either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Vulgar auteurism is the hot new thing for these kids today. Nothing wrong with that of course!

i was in a film studies class a full decade ago arguing with someone else that michael bay was an auteur who deserved as much recognition as any other and finally time as always has caught up to my point of view.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, Jaws. It’s no Endgame

On the one hand, an industry defining masterpiece about about the lengths people will go to to protect the innocent in the face of an overly controlling and self interested villain.  

On the other hand, a movie about a shark.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

On the one hand, an industry defining masterpiece about about the lengths people will go to to protect the innocent in the face of an overly controlling and self interested villain.  

On the other hand, a movie about a shark.

Endgame has a shark?

also, you still have yet to name ONE live action non-sequel or franchise film you liked and saw in theater. What’s the last one you paid to see and liked? I’m still waiting

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why would anyone be contrarian? Some people just might think he’s made some cool movies. No hidden agenda. 

No need to project, mate. Don’t act like some of the MCU acolytes you tend to tangle with. You’re better than that.

Never saw what his fans see in him, but whatever floats their boat. My favorite thing he’s ever done though was that Mystery Men cameo.

”Can we bring the brewskis?”

5 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Speaking of people not liking classics,Titanic's verified audience score on RT is below 70 

Call me naive, I thought we were over the Titanic backlash. Guess not.

8 minutes ago, RRA said:

No need to project, mate. Don’t act like some of the MCU acolytes you tend to tangle with. You’re better than that.

Never saw what his fans see in him, but whatever floats their boat. My favorite thing he’s ever done though was that Mystery Men cameo.

”Can we bring the brewskis?”

Project what? I have not seen Ambulance. 

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Project what? I have not seen Ambulance. 

Why bring that movie up? I didn’t. 

One of my favorite movies ever in Jaws is being criticized in this thread. I don’t agree with it, but it is what it is. One has to comfortable in their skin in what they like (popular or not) and accept opinions will differ. One’s mental health will thank you later. 

• Like 2