YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, on an upcoming weekend topic...I finally watched Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald last night...and I get why WB is ignoring that movie in advertising.  That movie ignored being a move itself.

It was the worst movie in a series - one which forgot that not everyone watched or remembered the 1st movie and which really just is playing a "point A to point B" "plot" (not sure I'd say this movie REALLY had one) to get to the real next movie.  And character motivations seemed off, and where were the actual "crimes of Grindelwald" - I mean, I was expecting a Voldemort tour-de-force with that title, and we mostly get some speeches and playing nice.

Now, that said, it's not as horrific as some say...but it's such a nothing.  Like an extended tv episode 15 of a 23 episode season for a tv show...

I'd say C-/D+ for a grade for both a standalone movie and as a series continuer.

I did still like Newt.

Feels like they sidelined Redmayne from his own franchise not unlike how they did Martin Freeman in the latter Hobbit entries.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I don't know how this works but is it likely that sonic gets imax screens from ambulance this week?

Doubtful. Maybe in fantastic beasts second week if it really belly flops, but for now it's just got to be happy with what it has. 

Getting Carrey for Robotnik was a master stroke.  Those adults that didn’t see the first one in cinemas and then caught up with it would have been overjoyed to get 90’s Jim back. They weren’t going to pass up the sequel purely based on that.  

I’m expecting this to storm past $200 million.  Nearer $250 million I think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Remember when Disney said families weren’t coming back a couple of months ago? Lol. 

They’re coming back for franchise sequels. Let’s see how badly The Bad Guys performs in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

They’re coming back for franchise sequels. Let’s see how badly The Bad Guys performs in a couple of weeks.

It’s not like they showed up in big numbers for, say, Abominable. Or Captain Underpants. 
it should be measured as around those two.  Haven’t seen it yet myself as it’s been out in the U.K. for a couple of weeks. Mean to though as it heard it’s pretty good.