Eric is Quiet

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

I'm not sure who Hall is but I think Sohn isn't that interested in trying to push narrative boundaries the way Bird or Stanton might've been. He seems very content making mainstream kids movies. I think that lack of pretension is somewhat refreshing, but whatever he does next I'll probably keep my expectations tempered. 

Edited by AniNate

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm not sure who Hall is

the director (sometimes co-) of Raya, Strange World, Big Hero 6, Moana, Winnie The Pooh (2011).

Forgot he directed Moana, so his best is now "reasonably enjoyable" and not just "Forgettable".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

the director (sometimes co-) of Raya, Strange World, Big Hero 6, Moana, Winnie The Pooh (2011).

Forgot he directed Moana, so his best is now "reasonably enjoyable" and not just "Forgettable".

The fact that’s there’s only one great one and the fact that he co-directed that one (Moana) is telling. Pooh is pretty good, but nothing to write home about. The rest are mediocre to painfully generic 2.5/5s.

• Like 1

Finally saw this thanks to the Labor Day expansion. 

I really enjoyed it. It starts off a little slow, but then it hooks you in and just gets better. Obviously gorgeous animation, but very likable characters too. And in true Pixar fashion, I got teary eyed a few times. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Nearly 10M higher than Little Mermaid, huge huge huge numbers 

Nice for Pixar that this ended up being a solid hit on theaters and it’s once again smashing on digital 

Now they just need Elio to do the same and along with Inside Out 2 which seems like a sure bet, their brand should be restored

Well kids movies do have an inherent advantage against PG 13 movies. D+'s primary audience is families and a lot of those views are parents firing it up to keep their kids occupied for a coupled hours. Still, it's clearly found an appreciative audience on par with the more critic endorsed "Pixar classics".

• Like 3

Great, but to me, it says "People like modern Pixar when it's easily watchable at home, and won't make the effort to go to a theater."

I don't think "waiting for something to be a runaway success at home" is a viable strategy for them unless they make Pixar movies Direct to D+

34 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I don't think "waiting for something to be a runaway success at home" is a viable strategy for them unless they make Pixar movies Direct to D+

I mean, that's not really what happened here? It just had a hell of a comeback at the box office and its streaming debut just reinforces that it's found an audience.

Just because it wasn't a Nemo level hit doesn't mean that it's not still a boost in morale for the studio. Honestly as far as Disney is concerned, it's still one of their bigger success stories this year. Really this movie's performance is indicative that Pixar is a pretty reliable investment when they put out movies people actually enjoy and that get a chance in theaters.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

This means it was bigger than not just TLM but also Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Guardians 3, and Ant Man 3. Incredible stuff. 

Remember Avatar 2 is split between HBOMAX and Disney+ due to legacy fox distribution deal and "views" is biased towards shorter films (especially because kids constantly rewatching films will watch portions of films in addition to full viewings). 

But yeah, this is a massive hit on D+. Still, I really wish we could see an apples to apples comparison for Avatar 2

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:12 PM, AniNate said:

On 9/18/2023 at 5:46 PM, ThomasNicole said:

Nearly 10M higher than Little Mermaid, huge huge huge numbers 

Nice for Pixar that this ended up being a solid hit on theaters and it’s once again smashing on digital 

Now they just need Elio to do the same and along with Inside Out 2 which seems like a sure bet, their brand should be restored

I wonder how it compares to Turning Red's streaming ratings.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I wonder how it compares to Turning Red's streaming ratings.

We’ll be able to compare in a month when Elemental’s first week Nielsen numbers come out. Turning Red debuted with 1.7 billion minutes by that measure (but that’s US only so we won’t be able to compare worldwide).

• Like 2