Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

It did not even make top 50 in disk sales, and that gorgeous animation looks impossible to make for a cheaper price.  I think it is too risky.  In fact in this sequel driven age not having a sequel would help it stick out.

44 minutes ago, Human said:

It did not even make top 50 in disk sales, and that gorgeous animation looks impossible to make for a cheaper price.  I think it is too risky.  In fact in this sequel driven age not having a sequel would help it stick out.

In fairness I feel that Disney has mostly abandoned the disk market. Disney plus really put a damper on the whole buying a blu ray for the kids thing. The only Disney stuff that made the list in 2023 was Marvel and Indiana Jones...

Interesting though I see both Encanto and Turning Red were on the top 50 disk sales for 2022, but they are far less dominate on physical sales as they are on streaming.

• Like 1

I ultimately think that a sequel would be diminishing returns for Disney, making at most $400 million WW, and with a budget of $200 million, that's a little dicey. However, Pixar is laying off hundreds of people so I guess their budgets are going down...

• Like 1

It's the year of our lord 2024, disc sales don't matter that much. I'd imagine Disney would have to see this movie continue to be huge on streaming for a couple more years before they would start thinking about sequels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

It's the year of our lord 2024, disc sales don't matter that much. I'd imagine Disney would have to see this movie continue to be huge on streaming for a couple more years before they would start thinking about sequels.

Yeah, which highlights the annoyance of not having a combined Digital number. DEG said

Among the full year’s best-performing titles across all transactional formats, were Avatar: The Way of Water (Disney), Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Paramount), Equalizer 3 (Sony), The Flash (WBD), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Disney), John Wick: Chapter 4 (Lionsgate), Meg 2: The Trench (WBD), Plane (Lionsgate), Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Universal), Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sony), The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Universal), and Transformers: Rise of the Beasts(Paramount).

&

Consumer spending on digital purchases (EST) in premium and standard windows continued to grow in the fourth quarter, with purchases rising 7 percent overall and more than 30 percent for theatrical titles, driven by strong home demand for some of the year’s biggest box-office performers, including Barbie, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1, Oppenheimer, and The Super Mario Bros. Movie. Spending on digital purchases of theatrical titles was up more than 13 percent for the full year.

So Elemental is clearly outside of the top 10 on digital sales/rentals and probably outside of the top 15 but we don't have an aggregate report saying how spots 11-50 fall

https://www.degonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/f1_Year-end-2023-Digital-Entertainment-cover-note-with-grid.pdf

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cannastop said:

In fairness I feel that Disney has mostly abandoned the disk market. Disney plus really put a damper on the whole buying a blu ray for the kids thing. The only Disney stuff that made the list in 2023 was Marvel and Indiana Jones...

I cannot agree since 3 Marvels and Indiana Jones all made top 20 and Avatar 2 was 3.

While not in top 50 Nightmare Before Christmas and Avatar (original) had many impressive numbers in weekly lists.

9 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

They do matter.  How well they sell and how well digital sell are very similar.  The only real big difference between the movies DEG said sold best on digital and the disk list is Meg 2 and Equalizer 3, which both came out much earlier in the year on digital.  Equalizer 3 is selling well on disks in January, and Meg 2 on disk had sales distorted by the 2 packs.  

The Home media sales are a needed reference for post theater life to analyze films as potential franchises.  They show what customers are willing to spend their money on.

Elemental legged out really well and was the most streamed 2023 film, but it’s probably a bit of gamble to make a sequel. And a D+ series would probably be too expensive or have to cut costs and not look as good, like others said. But I still hope they do something with it. If not it’s still a good standalone film.

• Like 2

Elemental sold the the sixth most tickets of any film in Europe in 2023 (Avatar 2's 2023 gross is ahead but if Wonka's 2024 gross is included it would also jump ahead). There's a lot of justifiable talk about the film's success in South Korea but I hadn't seen anyone mention this. 

• Like 3