Brazil Box Office Thread

GERMANY BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2007 : $1.04B

2009 : $1.36B

2010:  $1.22B

2011 : $1.33B

2012 : $1.35B

2013 : $1.36B

Germany is pretty interesting as a market because despite it is most populated (80m inhabitants) than France (66m) or the UK (64m) it's a smaller market, the third biggest in Europe.The market stagnated these last few years.

Russia's revenues reached $1.34B in 2013 so it could pass Germany this year, nothing is sure yet but it was expected to happen.

In European comparison the workers ... income didn't get raised in the same percentages as the European average. Some years there wasn't a raise...

In relation to prices... the ~ buying-worth (Kaufwert term???) of a German worker average income is now ~ under the middle or the middle at best in a European comparison (forgot the details of a certain presentation) but prices of 'things' grew more than the income.... inflation doesn't always account for all things someone likes to spend her/his money on.

Plus a lot of people I know prefer to invest in a nice home cinema system as the cinema visiting experience got less nice via younger viewers and so on. I think we are still one of the markets with a better than average market for Blu-Ray's and DVDs (but didn't check for a while)

Edited by terrestrial

In European comparison the workers ... income didn't get raised in the same percentages as the European average. Some years there wasn't a raise...

In relation to prices... the ~ buying-worth (Kaufwert term???) of a German worker average income is now ~ under the middle or the middle at best in a European comparison (forgot the details of a certain presentation) but prices of 'things' grew more than the income.... inflation doesn't always account for all things someone likes to spend her/his money on.

Plus a lot of people I know prefer to invest in a nice home cinema system as the cinema visiting experience got less nice via younger viewers and so on. I think we are still one of the markets with a better than average market for Blu-Ray's and DVDs (but didn't check for a while)

Did you mean "buying power"?

I see your point and it could explain a part of the problem.

I think demographics are a part too, Germany having the oldest population in Europe and less births than in the UK and France, and people under 40 are more likely to go in cinemas than people over 60....23% of Germany's population is older than 65, that explains that as well.

Posted Image

SOUTH KOREA BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2007 : $1.09B

2009 : $0.88B

2010 : $1.04B

2011 : $1.11B

2012 : $1.31B

2013 : $1.42B

This market grew by 30% in 6 years, and given its impressive size for a 50m country it's pretty good, it's already bigger than Germany and Russia.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

Did you mean "buying power"?

I see your point and it could explain a part of the problem.

I think demographics are a part too, Germany having the oldest population in Europe and less births than in the UK and France, and people under 40 are more likely to go in cinemas than people over 60....23% of Germany's population is older than 65, that explains that as well.

Buying power = I think so, that sounds right.

A lot of 'my' people and me are already a bit older (as in over 50 to 65), we still go to the cinemas, also our even older relatives. But not to all movies, as we want to see them without getting disturbed by mobiles... of younger ones and some other reasons

At the pre-screening of GotG were a lot of older people too, only 3 non-adults (but to get the tickets, you have had to stay up till midnight to try - repeatedly, I needed a full week till I finally got ours), the biggest group was ~ 30 to 45, 2nd biggest group the over 45year olds, smallest beside the 3 non-adults the ~ 18 to 25y olds ... One of the bigger cinemas in a 'state capital'

A lot of people go to the theaters... or prefer to spend the evening with friends trying out new vine or food places or...

I think it's more about the younger ones, I work voluntarily with pupils since a time, a few of them (12 to 18y) never were in a cinema, others only if their parents take them as a family thing, or...

They watch the movies on their pads, notebooks or whatever they prefer to use

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Buying power = I think so, that sounds right.

A lot of 'my' people and me are already a bit older (as in over 50 to 65), we still go to the cinemas, also our even older relatives. But not to all movies, as we want to see them without getting disturbed by mobiles... of younger ones and some other reasons

At the pre-screening of GotG were a lot of older people too, only 3 non-adults (but to get the tickets, you have had to stay up till midnight to try - repeatedly, I needed a full week till I finally got ours), the biggest group was ~ 30 to 45, 2nd biggest group the over 45year olds, smallest beside the 3 non-adults the ~ 18 to 25y olds ... One of the bigger cinemas in a 'state capital'

A lot of people go to the theaters... or prefer to spend the evening with friends trying out new vine or food places or...

I think it's more about the younger ones, I work voluntarily with pupils since a time, a few of them (12 to 18y) never were in a cinema other only if their parents take them as a family thing, or...

They watch the movies on their pads, notebooks or whatever they prefer to use

I understand :)

Honestly I'm a student and I always turn my phone off when I go in a cinema, it's a pretty normal thing to do in my opinion, and my friends do the same thing. But I guess not everyone is reasonable...

• Like 1

Posted Image

UNITED KINGDOM BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2007 : $1.64B

2009 : $1.48B

2010 : $1.53B

2011 : $1.67B

2012 : $1.74B

2013 : $1.69B

The UK market has been relatively stagnant these last 6 years, however it's worth noticing the UK became the first European market in 2012 and remained it in 2013, passing France which kept that position for a very long time, not a mean feat.

• Like 3

Posted Image

AUSTRALIA BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2007 : $0.75B

2009 : $0.86B

2010 : $1.04B

2011 : $1.13B

2012 : $1.17B

2013 : $1.06B

Australia, unlike many developed nations, succeeded in making its market grow, growing by 41%, an impressive growth for a mature market, and an amazing size given it has 23 million inhabitants. The size of its market is very close Germany's ($1.36B - 80m inhabitants), South Korea's ($1.42B - 50m) and it's much bigger than Spain ($0.75B - 47m) and Italy ($0.8B - 61m).

Congrats Australia :lol:

• Like 2

I think 2014 is not going to be a good year. Only China and Venezuela are showing a good increase so far

2014 will be weak indeed.

Russia is relatively stagnant in $.

France will grow but that won't change the trend of the recent years.

Germany and UK won't change much.

Brazil won't have an incredible growth but around 10% is pretty good if we take its weak economy into account.

Next year should be very strong thanks to The Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII :wub:

• Like 1

2014 will be weak indeed.Russia is relatively stagnant in $.France will grow but that won't change the trend of the recent years.Germany and UK won't change much.Brazil won't have an incredible growth but around 10% is pretty good if we take its weak economy into account. Next year should be very strong thanks to The Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII :wub:

Also Spain is doing better than last year thanks to the huge success of "8 Apellidos Vascos"
  • Like 1

Posted Image

UNITED STATES / CANADA BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2006 : $9.2B

2007 : $9.66B

2008 : $9.63B

2009 : $10.6B

2010 : $10.6B

2011 : $10.2B

2012 : $10.8B

2013 : $10.9B

The domestic box office added $1.7B to its total in 6 years, increasing by 18.5%. In 6 years the US/Canada market added the equivalent of a big OS market like the UK, that's pretty impressive and better than the average growth in the developed world, it's not the biggest movie market for nothing. 2014 will probably decrease over 2013 but 2015 should be huge and pass $11B thanks to the release of The Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII, and the possible performance of 50 Shades of Grey.

• Like 3

Posted Image

GLOBAL BOX OFFICE REVENUES

2009 : $29.4B

2010 : $31.6B

2011 : $32.6B

2012 : $34.7B

2013 : $35.9B

The global box office grew by 4% in 2013, and by 22% between 2009 and 2013.

Between 2009 and 2013 Latin America grew by 78%, being the fastest-growing BO market, Asia Pacific grew by 55%.

• Like 2