Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

11 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

So the real question we need to ask:

Just how fast will A:IW become the highest grossing film of all time in lc?

Realistically it could take weeks, there could be a limit to what the Brazilian market can absorb....That's why The Avengers 2 is still the highest-grossing movie 3 years later despite a healthy growth of this market.

My dream would be for this movie to be the first one to reach 200m but it's probably too big an order..At least it has strong chances to become the 1st to reach 150m (Avengers 2 = 146m).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Realistically it could take weeks, there could be a limit to what the Brazilian market can absorb....That's why The Avengers 2 is still the highest-grossing movie 3 years later despite a healthy growth of this market.

My dream would be for this movie to be the first one to reach 200m but it's probably too big an order..At least it has strong chances to become the 1st to reach 150m (Avengers 2 = 146m).

I take it that's not $200m, because that would be mindblowing :ohmygod:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I take it that's not $200m, because that would be mindblowing :ohmygod:

Of course not LOL. Movies already have a hard time reaching $50m right now and $75m is the biggest we ever saw.

However, on the long run the country has the potential to be twice bigger than Japan as a market, or even thrice....So movies reaching $200m, $300m or even $400m could come one day or another.

10-15 years and we'll be there or close to it.

Edited by Fullbuster

Of course not LOL. Movies already have a hard time reaching $50m right now and $75m is the biggest we ever saw.

However, on the long run the country has the potential to be twice bigger than Japan as a market, or even thrice....So movies reaching $200m, $300m or even $400m could come one day or another.

10-15 years and we'll be there or close to it.

So we're looking at a probable $50m as a realistic high-end expectation then? With potential for more if Brazil goes batshit crazy

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

So we're looking at a probable $50m as a realistic high-end expectation then? With potential for more if Brazil goes batshit crazy

Yes, that's more or less the target.

The exchange rate is absolutely horrible right now, at its worst level since 2016 when it was in a terrible state...Lula being arrested has been terrible for the ER, as I expected..

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Sad 1

The exchange rate is absolutely horrible right now, at its worst level since 2016 when it was in a terrible state...Lula being arrested has been terrible for the ER, as I expected..

When do you think the ER might recover, if at all?

• Sad 1

Just now, Fullbuster said:

PS: and this ER being so terrible just before Avengers IW being released is such a sad event, the Brazil Box Office is litterally ruined by politics and corruption, the potential is so high so I'm a bit sad...

But at least it doesn't affect the box office in local currency, that's why it's still very interesting to watch.

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

When do you think the ER might recover, if at all?

With elections coming and the potential for them to lead to a country led by a crazy I'm not very optimistic...and even with someone talented and respectable it'll take time to recover so....2020 in the best case scenario.

Edited by Fullbuster

With elections coming and the potential for them to lead to a country led by a crazy I'm not very optimistic...and even with someone talented and respectable it'll take time to recover so....2020 in the best case scenario.

Just in time for Avatar 2 ;) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Don't worry @fabiopazzo2 ahaha :D

Once I'm back I'll inundate this thread of many tweets with lists and data, it's going to be HUGE!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile I'll still post a bit in the Nintendo Switch Official Thread :)

In your absence, is there anywhere we can find presale data for AIW?

And enjoy your time away! I'm also going to be drastically reducing my time on here for a few weeks, exam season is upon me :(

4 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

In your absence, is there anywhere we can find presale data for AIW?

And enjoy your time away! I'm also going to be drastically reducing my time on here for a few weeks, exam season is upon me :(

I don't think there is a presales website, I never heard of it. Maybe @Durden knows something I don't?

Good luck by the way, try to be there for Avengers IW though, it's going to be THE box office event :)

Edited by Fullbuster

14 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't think there is a presales website, I never heard of it. Maybe @Durden knows something I don't?

Good luck by the way, try to be there for Avengers IW though, it's going to be THE box office event :)

I really really want to, but need to hold back as much as possible. Got an exam on the Thursday and Saturday. Am going to watch it Saturday afternoon though, so that'll be good :)

As long as it breaks records Friday/Saturday/Sunday I'll be fine, it's the overseas stuff I'll miss. I'll read the emails regardless, just won't be able to contribute as much :/ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Durden said:

The main presales website here is the ingresso.com, but is just for sales, not has how tracking the numbers.

Ah so it's like Fandango for USA. You can book tickets and see how full cinemas are

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I decided to be back in advance, so I'll be there this weekend and I will update all the data to include Black Panther and enable us to compare Avengers IW to the rest.

Yep people, the hype is there and Thanos is gonna destroy them all :D

a9d.gif

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

HERE WE GO, I'M BACK BOYS!!! TIME FOR NEW UPDATED STATS :D

How important Brazil is for Hollywood movies (in USD)?

Let's see this with the global ranks.Brazil is,for now,the 10th biggest BO market,so anything between the 10th and 7th was more or less in sync with the size of the market. Anything beyond 7th overperformed.

PS: This is only a comparison with other overseas markets, North America is not taken into accoutn here.

OVERPERFORMING MOVIES

-Rio: 1st,Brazil was its biggest market
-The Fault in our Stars : 1st
-Rio 2 : Brazil = 2nd biggest market behind China

-Justice league: 2nd, behind China

-Wonder Woman: 2nd, behind China
-Twilight BD2 : 2nd,behind UK

-Furious 8 : 2nd
-The Avengers : 3rd market,behind China and UK.

-Captain America Civil War: 4th

-Black Panther: 4th

-Beauty and the Beast 2017 : 4th
-Iron Man 3 : 4th biggest
-Captain America 2 : 4th biggest
-X-Men DOFP : 4th
-Ice Age 3 : 4th

-Thor Ragnarok: 4th

-Spider-Man Homecoming: 4th
-Shrek 4 : 4th
-Wreck-It Ralph : 4th

-Furious 7 : 4th

-The Avengers 2 : 5th
-The Amazing Spiderman : 5th biggest

-Finding Dory

-Moana : 5th
-Tangled : 5th

-Despicable Me 3 : 6th
-Ice Age 4 : 6th
-Madagascar 3 : 6th

IN LINE WITH THE CURRENT SIZE OF THE MARKET

-Star Wars The Last Jedi: 8th

-Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 7th

-Star Wars The Force Awakens : 8th

-Rogue One : 8th

-The Hobbit 2 : 10th

UNDERPERFORMING MOVIES

-Frozen : 11th
-Transformers 3 : 11th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2018 at 8:18 PM, Fullbuster said:

Brazilian films suffer big drop at local box office in 2017

Brazilian films sold fewer tickets last year, although the total box office revenue in the country, BRL$2.7b ($844m), represented an increase of 4.7% over 2016.

For lack of a big entry, such as The Ten Commandments - The Movie, which broke the record for admissions (selling 30.1 million in 2016), Brazilian films sold 18.5 million tickets last year, indicating a fall of 38.5%.

As a result, the box office of local films dropped 28.7%, grossing BRL$252,9m ($79m), despite the number of Brazilian titles released being practically the same of the previous year: 154 features films.

“The recession that Brazil has been suffering finally reached the cinema. It stopped the lower social classes from going to the movies, mainly to see Brazilian films and mid-budget movies,” says Paulo Sergio Almeida, director of Filme B, the local theatrical tracking firm which compiled the latest figures.

According to Filme B, local productions accounted for a market share of 10% in 2017, when the general number of admissions fell. The country registered 183 million tickets sold, a drop of 1.5%, compared with 2016.

Cesar Rodrigues’ My Mom Is A Character 2, starring TV and theatre comedian Paulo Gustavo, bucked the trend, after grossing BRL$89.2m ($27.8m) last year. Adding revenue from the end of 2016, the film’s total rises to BRL$124.2m ($38.8m).

The comedy attracted an audience of 6.5 million spectators in 2017 (9.3 million in total), which was a performance far superior to the other Brazilian films listed among the most viewed. My Mom Is A Character 2 is followed in the ranking by the only three films that surpassed the one million admissions: Polícia Federal - A Lei É Para Todos (1.38 million), Os Parças (1.3 million) e DPA - Detetives do Prédio Azul (1.2 million).

BRAZIL BOX OFFICE TOP 10 OF 2017

(Figures in US dollars)

• 1. The Fate of the Furious - $41.7m
  • 2. Justice League - $41m
  • 3. Beauty and the Beast - $40.6m
  • 4. Despicable Me 3 - $39.3m
  • 5. Wonder Woman - $ 34.2m
  • 6. Spider-Man: Homecoming - $32m
  • 7. Thor: Ragnarok - $31.2m
  • 8. Logan - $28.5m
  • 9. My Mom Is A Character 2 - $27.8m
  • 10. The Shack - $22.4m

https://www.screendaily.com/news/brazilian-films-suffer-big-drop-at-local-box-office-in-2017/5125582.article

AND NOW WE FINALLY HAVE THESE NUMBERS

With 4.7% the market still grew at a healthy pace, but it's also the slowest growth in a decade, the terrible recession hitting the country finally reached the movie market.

@Tower @Blaze Heatnix @Napoleon @EduardoMoraes @Apollo2xx

Interesting reminder for those who didn't see this.