Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Garfield scratches great $8.4M 6-day OW; safe $2.5M start for The Fall Guy

Seems like 2.1M admissions compared to 2.3M from Wasp. I really don't know what to expect of Guardians Vol 3 and The Marvels now. 

Beyond discussion about quality I'd like to address the big issue Disney+ has been here. Now anything that doesn't include Tobey, Hugh or anyone from the old times is going to face an uphill battle.

• Like 4

S. No Movie Semana Screens Weekend (MXN) Drop % Total (MXN)
1. A&tW: Quantumania OW 4250 $155.40 - $155.40
2. The Whale 02 1080 $24.40 -1.21% $61.20
3. El Gato Con Botas 2 (Puss in Boots 2) 09 589 $15.30 -22.34% $472.80
4. Titanic (Re-Release) 02 589 $9.30 -53.62% $39.30
5. Infelices para Siempre  02 899 $7.00 -41.18% $90.30
6. Comunión Con El Diablo 02 770 $4.30 -40.28% $16.20
7. Avatar: Camino Del Agua (Avatar 2) 10 570 $3.60 -56.10% $1,078.60
8. Llaman A La Puerta (Knock At the Cabin) 02 732 $3.00 -57.75% $38.10
9. MEGAN 07 410 $1.30 -51.85% $180.20
10. Pearl Tiene OW - $1.20 - $1.20

• Quantumania Opened +20% higher than A&W and +80% higher than it's it's first instalment.
  • Puss in Boots 2 is going very strong still. Another Weekend record bites the dust.
Edited by Shanks
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfourtunately final stages of my school life and early stage of my job life have kept me a bit off from being as active as I was but having some time off I'll take the chance to make quick notes on everything I need to:

•  If Puss in Boots: The Last Wish makes it to $500M it shall be the first Dreamworks title to do so and would leave Warner Animation Studios as the only major animation powerhouse that doesn't have a title within that range. Among $400M+ grossers now it has the second best legs only below Avatar.
  • The Whale managing these numbers remind me of The Shape of Water back in Jan 2018. Fraer's momentum has it going on nicely.
  • Titanic re-issue now has it at $335M and 13.32M admissions. Jimbo is about $12M to surpass $2B from his latest three films combined.
  • Infelices para Siempre gives local cinema a well-needed sense of relief. It could be the first title since Jan 2020 to approach $100M.

I've talked plenty about Quantumania. I do must admit is dissapointing to see it; awareness was great and interest was there but I think this time after Love and Thunder and Multiverse of Madness people relied more than ever on reviews. I doubt MCU is going to be in yearly Top 3 and I think this may be the first time since 2017 and second since 2008 that a DC title is going to gross more than a MCU title.

I guess Guardians could pull similar numbers to Love and Thunder but if Quantumania fails to $400M/$20M then interest would be even lower especially as sci-fi doesn't connect as well to audiences even if characters are popular. Damage on The Marvels would be done and even though I have a hard time seeing it collecting $300M-$400M but it could happen.

Shazam not looking good either. No build-up from Warner or interest from audiences so I guess is being let go. Flash on the other hand has great interest and awareness and if audiences eat it then it could pull an Aquaman.

Two months into the year but I still have no clarity on what could rule the year. I had expectations on Quantumania but well... For me it all will come down to:

• Super Mario Bros. Easter holidays kick-off coming from a couple of extraordinary years in the market for Illumination and Universal marketing machinery behind it. Beloved property and could be a strong 4Q instead of just a family title.
  • Fast X. Even though I had no expectation of this after how much of a lukewarm reception Fast 9 had; trailer for this one pulled off a great reception so I guess never doubt Universal's marketing; especially as it is coming to an end.
  • The Flash. Explained above.

Outside these titles I have my eyes on Barbie, Across the Spiderverse, Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom and Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. Could either be a hit or miss: The Little Mermaid, The Exorcist. Lower expectations on stuff like Dune Part II, Wonka, The Meg II, The Nun II, Blue Beattle and new Indiana Jones.

Finally; great sales for upcoming Demon Slayer cc. @Issac Newton

And Scream 6 sales are now live. Starts with Wed night previews at 8:00PM on the 8th. cc. @Krissykins

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Finally; great sales for upcoming Demon Slayer cc. @Issac Newton

Any Comps with recent titles - One Piece Film Red, Dragon Ball Super Super Hero, Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0?

Can it open parallel with Mugen Train?

P.S. - This isn't Film at 1st Place. Two Episodes of Season 2 &1st Episode of Season 3 are combined to make it a film.. more like compilation. Season 3 aires on April 2023. So, if people are really showing up for a product that we be available soon in Crunchyroll/Netflix in less than 2 months (April isn't far),... So, it's just incredible... (⁠^⁠3⁠^⁠♪

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Any Comps with recent titles - One Piece Film Red, Dragon Ball Super Super Hero, Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0?

Haven't took notes yet but from quick looks seem on par if not stronger than JJK0. I think distributors finally learned their lessons; my issue with Mugen Train was that it had so little shows even with a lot of demand; that's also why was leggier than JJK0. Other big issue was lack of sub shows which is getting fixed with this one.

Don't know about Slam Dunk but Suzume could be a modest but good hit. If Miyasaki's new one comes out this year it could be huge if a big distributor picks it up but I guess we're far from knowing.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Heart 1

14.2M admissions for Avatar 2 (very close to The Fate of the Furious) and 8M for Puss in Boots 2. For some reason CANACINE is showing The Whale's total as 74M lc. They were late publishing numbers this week so that may include midweeks.

@Carlangonz, at this rate it looks like the next billion release is going to be Toy Story 5!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

$13.1M total for Antman 3, about 242M lc. Big drop, 400-425M lc looking like the higher end.

Yeah, harsh drop. Around 65% I'm thinking. It could go either way to MoM which had awful legs or L&T route which had better late legs so range is wide open for now. 

S. No Pelicula Semana Screens Weekend  Drop % Total 
1. Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantomania 02 3139 $58.60 -62% $242.90
2. The Whale 03 1240 $24.00 -1.64% $95.30
3. Las Momiasy El Anillo Perdido OW 1210 $13.40 - $13.40
4. La Huesera OW 1213 $12.60 - $12.60
5. El Gato Con Botas 2 (Push in Boots 2) 10 493 $10.80 -29.41% $487.50
6. Quizás Para Siempre OW 493 $6.20 - $6.20
7. The Quintessential Quintuplets OW 150 $4.00 - $4.00
8. Infelices para Siempre (Unhappy Forever) 05 695 $3.90 -44.29% $96.40
9. Disconnected OW 501 $3.40 - $3.40
10. Tár OW 124 $2.70 - $2.70

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is on to it's way towards MXN $500M ~ 

• It has also taken 10th Weekend Record from Avatar 2 with a super high margin.
  • PiB 2 has now a multiplier of x9.1 of it's OW of $53.6M.

The WHALE had 1.2% drop last Weekend and just 1.6% drop this Weekend~

Avatar 2 was also pushed out of top 10, it is sitting at MXN $1081M

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1