Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Garfield scratches great $8.4M 6-day OW; safe $2.5M start for The Fall Guy

On 3/9/2023 at 11:16 AM, Purple Minion said:

I count on a fantastic dubbing! Like, Eugenio Derbez as Luigi 😁

So I did some digging and apparently Nintendo took over dubbing from Universal and didn't include star-talent. Not like it's bad or good but sets a precedent for Illumination which usually relies on that. 

Amazing Day 1 of sales. May have the best PS run for a western animation since Toy Story 4. 

Demon Slayer seems to be setting on something cool for anime. These titles most of the times make most of its gross from PS alone but this one is also doing well on walk-ups; not huge because it's not like there are many seats left but people are taking theatres from 70%-80% sold to completely sold-out. I think they could've pulled a few more screens nationwide.

• Like 1

Great for Creed and Scream. Best results from their franchises.

Truly bad for Quantumania. That's a huge drop. It may struggle for $350M. Ouch.

It's fine for 65. But both this and Scream are making me wonder if Demon Slayer went past $50M 

7 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Could well be, Scream VI opened at #2!

Didn't commented on it but many shows were added for Sat and Sun at several locations for Demon Slayer with nice walk-ins. To me this is a bigger story than JJK0, Mugen Train and even any of Dragon Ball installments.

• Like 2

1. Demon Slayer: To the Swordsmith Village - $63.5M [OW]
  2. Scream VI - $35.5M [OW]
  3. Creed III - $33.2M  //   $107.9M
  4. 65 - $19.4M [OW]
  5. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - $12.7M  //  $319.8M
  6. The Whale - $12.3M   //   $142.5M
  7. Puss in the Boots: The Last Wish - $4.5M   //  $507.4M
  8. Rabbit Academy - $4.4M
  9. Las Momias y el Anillo Perdido - $4.1M  //  $33.8M
  10. Nada que Ver - $4M  //  $15.4M
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, JustLurking said:

That's nuts for DS.

It broke usual trends to me:

• JJK0, Mugen Train and smaller titles typically perform front-loaded from its OD. Not sure about the final figure but OD for Swordsmith Village should've been around $15M-$18M so a nice 4x from OD
  • Fri obviously decreased from Thu but that's only because early shows weren't completely full but everything from 4-5PM onwards was packed
  • Sat and Sun saw increases from walk-ins after adding shows at late afternoon

What would've been a Massive Thu - Ok Fri - Great Sat and Sun turned out to be Massive Thu - Great Fri - Massive Sat and Sun

After Mugen Train it has truly exploded and is safe to say that it' ll continue to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Hopefully Suzume is better handled than Weathering with You with distribution and become a modest hit.

Well in other news:

• Both Scream VI and Creed III should beat their predecessors. Big win for the franchises keeping interest and mantaining growth
  • The Whale should get a boost from its Academy Award for Brendan Frasser. If distributor doesn't drop the ball with screens it should increase and move towards $10M
  • Fury of Gods not looking completely fine. Don't think it'll outright bomb like in other places but is going to be very underwhelming.
  • Seems like Quantumania is going to end UNDER Shazam's original run in admissions. If that one couldn't surpass it then not even inflation can save Shazam II.
  • I'm not seeing any effort from distributor to get buzz for John Wick 4 but hopefully blows out of the water like Parabellum. Let's see if it breaks $10M.
Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

2 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

It broke usual trends to me:

• JJK0, Mugen Train and smaller titles typically perform front-loaded from its OD. Not sure about the final figure but OD for Swordsmith Village should've been around $15M-$18M so a nice 4x from OD
  • Fri obviously decreased from Thu but that's only because early shows weren't completely full but everything from 4-5PM onwards was packed
  • Sat and Sun saw increases from walk-ins after adding shows at late afternoon

What would've been a Massive Thu - Ok Fri - Great Sat and Sun turned out to be Massive Thu - Great Fri - Massive Sat and Sun

After Mugen Train it has truly exploded and is safe to say that it' ll continue to do so. 

I'm sure DS will have atleast 1 actual film before it ends (if nothing else prior the finale will certainly be one) so it will be interesting to see when that happens. This compilation has done shockingly good numbers outside Japan for what it is.

21 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I'm sure DS will have atleast 1 actual film before it ends (if nothing else prior the finale will certainly be one) so it will be interesting to see when that happens. This compilation has done shockingly good numbers outside Japan for what it is.

Yeah I'm thinking the next one is going to top $100M and may even break $200M if interest lives up to it. 

Considering good walk-ins may be $90M+ for Fury of Gods. Well above Morbius and on par with Dark Phoenix but below first Shazam.

With Quantumania finishing below Ant-Man and the Wasp and potentially below first Ant-Man in admissions and now Fury of Gods going below first Shazam in admissions as well we have to wonder what we can expect for GOTG Vol 3, even if remains flat from Vol 2 like Wakanda Forever from Black Panther or Love and Thunder from Ragnarok that would result in... $460M.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

21 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

If Mexico really opened 90m lc,then we can see Shazam 2 Mexico B.O bigger than China.

Yeah I'm expecting a 1-2 from UK-Mexico this time again.

John Wick 4 tickets finally on sale! Wednesday night previews at 8:00PM with a great start pointing towards a $70M+ bow

• Like 1

CANACINE posted a spreadsheet with actuals for last weekend's Top 72 movies. Some totals in lc:

Demon Slayer To the Sword  $64,659,618 
Scream 6  $38,089,042 
Creed III  $108,027,610 
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania  $319,863,982 
The Whale  $142,628,053 
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish   $507,503,254 
Avatar: The Way of Water  $1,084,592,014 
Infelices para Siempre  $101,560,599 
Top Gun Maverick  $299,132,583 
Elvis  $154,067,859 
M3GAN  $181,501,930 

Avatar 2 sold  14,363,945 tickets so far.

https://canacine.org.mx/informacion-de-la-industria/estadisticas/

• Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1