YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

It is opening far enough away from DM4 so DM$ will not have much impact on IO2 box office.

i92 would have done what it is going to do, for better or worse, by the time DM4 opens.

I find it funny IO2 will have 3 weekends before DM4, while DM4 had 3 weekends before Deadpool.

Everything is in place for those 3 films to be the biggest films of the year!

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Honestly, I just want to see what it was like in the recording booth at the 49 second mark.

I feel like it's been a while since a Pixar or WDAS film has gotten this much cross promotional advertising.

Disney’s ‘Inside Out 2’ Could Hold Key to Pixar Restoring Movie Magic - Bloomberg

no paywall: Disney’s ‘Inside Out 2’ Could Hold Key to Pixar Restoring Movie Magic - Bloomberg (archive.is)

A pretty fascinating article. 

Thought this was interesting.

After Lightyear lost millions of dollars in 2022 and Elemental had Pixar’s worst-ever opening-weekend performance the following year, “there was a real and intense period of self-scrutiny and feeling like we messed up in some way,” Docter says. Executives hosted postmortems to determine how to revitalize the studio, he recalls. They arrived at mentoring Pixar’s upcoming directors to focus less on autobiographical tales—Luca had been inspired by its director’s childhood in Italy; Turning Red, by its director’s relationship with her mother; and Elemental (which did gain some momentum overseas and online), by its director’s immigrant family. Pixar would instead develop concepts with clear mass appeal, many of which—in the case of sequels and spinoffs—had already been proven.

The studio’s movies should be less a pursuit of any director’s catharsis and instead speak to a commonality of experience, Docter says. “I don’t think we can ever let ourselves off the hook of making sure that we deliver the best possible and most relatable films.”

“…Lindsey Collins to be senior vice president for development. Part of her job was to help Morris and Docter establish which Pixar stories were worth revisiting. Collins, who’s been at the company since 1997 and produced award-winning titles such as Wall-E, is advising on development for movies to be released in 2027 and beyond. That means her projects are, for now, commercially sensitive secrets, though she sometimes runs hypotheticals by her teenage children. Her son, Cash, reminds her that sequels shouldn’t feel opportunistic. “The other day, I was like, ‘What if I told you we were making an Incredibles 3?’ ” Collins says. “And he was like, ‘Money grab.’ And I was like, ‘F---.’ Sequels are a double-edged sword, because the audience can be brutal and so quick to judge. Unless they’re worthy.”“

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

“…Lindsey Collins to be senior vice president for development. Part of her job was to help Morris and Docter establish which Pixar stories were worth revisiting. Collins, who’s been at the company since 1997 and produced award-winning titles such as Wall-E, is advising on development for movies to be released in 2027 and beyond. That means her projects are, for now, commercially sensitive secrets, though she sometimes runs hypotheticals by her teenage children. Her son, Cash, reminds her that sequels shouldn’t feel opportunistic. “The other day, I was like, ‘What if I told you we were making an Incredibles 3?’ ” Collins says. “And he was like, ‘Money grab.’ And I was like, ‘F---.’ Sequels are a double-edged sword, because the audience can be brutal and so quick to judge. Unless they’re worthy.”“

come on. Incredibles 3 is definitely happening and it’s a sequel that makes sense 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

come on. Incredibles 3 is definitely happening and it’s a sequel that makes sense 

Feel like Nemo 3 would be next on the chopping block, as Bird is working on Ray Gunn right now. 

So they did delayed Elio a full year because Disney freaked out over Elemental [even if it did 500M afterall] and they decided to tested a sequel right after lol 

Hopeful the movie is great, really love the first one 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So they did delayed Elio a full year because Disney freaked out over Elemental [even if it did 500M afterall] and they decided to tested a sequel right after lol 

I mean they hastily turned Moana 2 into a movie out of fear of losing control of the Thanksgiving corridor days after Wish flopped. Also, allegedly, employees at Pixar have cited some story problems with Elio. Nothing to worry about though as happens frequently in animation and easier to turn around. I mean look at Ratatouille. 

Kind of peeved they’ll blame anyone but Iger and Chapek shafting their movies and instead taking it out on “autobiographical” takes. Luca and Turning Red dominated streaming and tbh pretty sure the latter was shaping up to be a hit before getting pulled to the Plus. Elemental had an awful OW but even with no real family competition was the first mainstream animation in summer to do a 5x multiple since Shrek back in 2001. And you can’t chalk it up to every new family film blows up on streaming as there’s reasons why Wish, Lightyear and Strange World didn’t connect on the Plus either.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3

Turning Red gets shoved to streaming, which affects interest for Elemental as well, even though it recovers at the BO, especially OS, and later on Disney+ But apparently these movies aren't "relatable enough"? Docter seems to be influenced by GriftTube

33 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Where does it say that in there? Seems like the article just going with the same strike rationale on the Elio delay. 

I do hate that it seems like personal original content is being discouraged when it never got a fair shake, although I also suspect the article is twisting direct quotes to fit its narrative, especially with how much it focuses on the Elemental opening weekend as a negative when I'm certain a lot of the blame for that can be placed on Lightyear killing brand enthusiasm.

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Turning Red gets shoved to streaming, which affects interest for Elemental as well, even though it recovers at the BO, especially OS, and later on Disney+ But apparently these movies aren't "relatable enough"? Docter seems to be influenced by GriftTube

Also like I think if Disney folded and not had the psychological need of a tentpole every three weeks of the summer and put Elemental in a safer spot it’d do somewhat better and even then the legs were strong.

There’s no reason Elemental had to come right after Mermaid and Across and open the same day as The Flash. That was always a bad idea even if it were top tier.

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

If Docter was influenced by Grifttube, he wouldn't have approved these movies in the first place.

This, from the Bloomberg article, is discouraging.

Executives hosted postmortems to determine how to revitalize the studio, he recalls. They arrived at mentoring Pixar’s upcoming directors to focus less on autobiographical tales—Luca had been inspired by its director’s childhood in Italy; Turning Red, by its director’s relationship with her mother; and Elemental (which did gain some momentum overseas and online), by its director’s immigrant family. Pixar would instead develop concepts with clear mass appeal, many of which—in the case of sequels and spinoffs—had already been proven.
The studio’s movies should be less a pursuit of any director’s catharsis and instead speak to a commonality of experience, Docter says. “I don’t think we can ever let ourselves off the hook of making sure that we deliver the best possible and most relatable films.”

Like they're admitting that they're going to make blander movies. Just because they sent 3 Pixar movies to streaming.

Still looking forward to what Domee Shi will offer next, though.

Just now, YM! said:

Also like I think if Disney folded and not had the psychological need of a tentpole every three weeks of the summer and put Elemental in a safer spot it’d do somewhat better and even then the legs were strong.

There’s no reason Elemental had to come right after Mermaid and Across and open the same day as The Flash. That was always a bad idea even if it were top tier.

oh stop it. Where else would it go? Same weekend as Ruby Gillman? Mission Impossible Week? Barbenheimer weekend?

I really don't think you need to look any further than Lightyear for blame for Elemental's bad opening. I also think the audience reception for Elemental is in turn a boon to interest in Inside Out 2.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, YM! said:

Luca and Turning Red dominated streaming and tbh pretty sure the latter was shaping up to be a hit before getting pulled to the Plus.

They did very well for their first two years, but things like Moana and Encanto are on another level.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

oh stop it. Where else would it go? Same weekend as Ruby Gillman? Mission Impossible Week? Barbenheimer weekend?

Move Elemental to Fourth of July weekend or the weekend right after Flash so you get some PLFs. Gillman likely moves in response to MI weekend or September if it’s the Fourth of July and still dies a gruesome death. Indy 5 goes to the holiday so Disney has something over 100m that quarter and maybe slightly more (not enough to save it but enough to make it less embarrassing. And even if Indy moves, MI likely goes to Fourth of July weekend which hurts Flash, Across and other action movies more. Holds more or less stay the same but you get a higher OW in return.

Edited by YM!
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Would they do it without Brad Bird? And the cast is so old. I don't deny people will gobble it up though.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

They did very well for their first two years, but things like Moana and Encanto are on another level.

Turning Red was no Encanto yes but was the second most streamed movie of 2022. Elemental was fourth of 2023 with just three months of being on Disney+.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

Turning Red was no Encanto yes but was the second most streamed movie of 2022. Elemental was fourth of 2023 with just three months of being on Disney+.

Yes, Elemental, Turning Red, and Luca had similar streaming ratings on Nielsen, which I guess supports the idea that the streaming Pixars could have been box office hits.