Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

41 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

"Peak MCU"

Multiverse of Madness doing only 955 isn't peak MCU, it's Peak DCEU. Last time a movie which opened over 160 million and missed 1 Billion was Batman vs Superman, and that's the club Dr Strange has joined.

I don't think people are concerned about MCU being in downward trends currently, box office underperformance of current movies is concern but bigger thing is that eventually if they continue like this then they WILL go down.

Add China and Russia and Dr Strange 2 gets way over 1 billion.

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

"Peak MCU"

Multiverse of Madness doing only 955 isn't peak MCU, it's Peak DCEU. Last time a movie which opened over 160 million and missed 1 Billion was Batman vs Superman, and that's the club Dr Strange has joined.

I don't think people are concerned about MCU being in downward trends currently, box office underperformance of current movies is concern but bigger thing is that eventually if they continue like this then they WILL go down.

But remember that's without China and Russia, and maybe more markets..I'm not sure.

With all those you can add at least another $175M to the worldwide gross which would be over $1.1B. Maybe that's still a little soft for what was supposed to be a major Marvel event but you get the drift.

EDIT: Clearly this was already addressed.

Edited by Verrows

45 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

MoM wasn't released in these places in the opening weekend too.

It did 450 million opening weekend, that's not an excuse, 1 Billion was there for the taking easily, just the movie wasn't good at all.

Infact weekend itself would've been close to 500 million if movie was good, with Domestic itself going over 200.

Fair point. I definitely won't argue that it didn't underachieve and leave money on the table. There's been no shortage of discussion on how the MCU is dropping the ball a bit in Phase 4. For me though I see that more in the domestic legs and OW multi than in the worldwide total, which is the definition of "fine" to me.

52 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Want to see other sats to get a sense of this being a strong marvel sat vs a weak vet effect — various holidays have sometimes been muted post-pandemic.

I'm not nearly the expert many here are so this is just my opinion, but I chalk it up to Vets Day not having the impact people think. It isn't really a holiday.

24 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Fair point. I definitely won't argue that it didn't underachieve and leave money on the table. There's been no shortage of discussion on how the MCU is dropping the ball a bit in Phase 4. For me though I see that more in the domestic legs and OW multi than in the worldwide total, which is the definition of "fine" to me.

955 million for Dr Strange 2 is more than fine.

955 million for "DR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS" after WV, NWH is disappointing.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

955 million for Dr Strange 3 is more than fine.

955 million for "DR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS" after WV, NWH is disappointing.

OS markets definitely seem to be waiting for the MCU to blow them away, whereas the domestic market is a little more forgiving still. 

Look how they showed up for Top Gun: Maverick, a film I figured the rest of the world wouldn't care about.

Edited by Verrows

4 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

955 million for Dr Strange 3 is more than fine.

955M for MOM wasn't bad or disappointing but the fact it could have done like 20% more is disappointing.

That said TB is ofc an idiot 😛 but he is right about poor state of MCU phase 4.

3 minutes ago, Verrows said:

OS markets definitely seem to be waiting for the MCU to blow them away, whereas the domestic market is a little more forgiving still. 

Concern for MCU is that Dr Strange was the prime candidate to do so.

It could've been your Phase defining movie before KD & SW.

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

955M for MOM wasn't bad or disappointing but the fact it could have done like 20% more is disappointing.

That said TB is ofc an idiot 😛 but he is right about poor state of MCU phase 4.

Dude you were thinking about 230 OW for Dr Strange, 200 for Thor 4 and 240 for BP2.

MoM number is fine in isolation but when you take into account that its PS was pointing towards 200M+ opening until poor reviews and WOM hit and the poor legs, yeah it's disappointing because it could've been a billy grosser easily. Something can do well and still be disappointing because it could have done better.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 4