kayumanggi

JOHN WICK IV | 253.0M overseas | 440.2M worldwide

Just now, TalismanRing said:

They always use the latest conversion rate which is bullshit but that's how movies start making less even though they're making more.  :circles:

I've been wondering actually, how do studios convert the gross they receive back to USD? Do they do it immediately on the day the ticket was bought during presales? On the day the movie was screened? Once a week? Right at the end of the run? In the case of something huge like Avatar you'd even need a team of goddamn Forex traders to optimize your profits and tell you when it's the best time to trade your Nigerian Naira back into American greenback lmao

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They always use the latest conversion rate which is bullshit but that's how movies start making less even though they're making more.  :circles:

But it only happens with JOHN WICK IV and not with the other movies. 🤔

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I've been wondering actually, how do studios convert the gross they receive back to USD? Do they do it immediately on the day the ticket was bought during presales? On the day the movie was screened? Once a week? Right at the end of the run? In the case of something huge like Avatar you'd even need a team of goddamn Forex traders to optimize your profits and tell you when it's the best time to trade your Nigerian Naira back into American greenback lmao

I assume it's regularly scheduled & contractual and I doubt they wait until the end of the run. Even if there weren't rate fluctuations they'd be losing interest on that money - a lot of which they're paying interest on as loans.

• Like 1