kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm actually fuming that Japan likes this more than AWOW. Like WTF? Underwater effects were absolutely LAUGHABLE.

I did tell earlier that big names and director, can't drive box office. You need reception and that's what Avatar 2 lack. 

Anyways good hold, and likely seems to go find if Jonas end up like China/Korea in Japan, then everything will be fine until July 13.

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I did tell earlier that big names and director, can't drive box office. You need reception and that's what Avatar 2 lack. 

Anyways good hold, and likely seems to go find if Jonas end up like China/Korea in Japan, then everything will be fine until July 13.

But why? It's a superior movie to TLM lets not pretend it isn't. So why is this mid movie received better? I know that Japan is crazy about musicals but c'mon! Over AWOW is just absurd!

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But why? It's a superior movie to TLM lets not pretend it isn't. So why us this mid movie receved better? I know that Japan is crazy about musicals but c'mon! Over AWOW is just absurd!

That's still unlikely. June doesn't have major openers and that's why this week Holdovers are strong whether it's Mario, TLM or any local release (yeah excl. ATSV &Flash)

To understand the present scenario of Hollywood. There is a article by Mark Schilling (taken in reference from book "アメリカ映画に明日はあるか" authored by Hiroo Otaka (@Hiroo_Otaka))

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2023/06/23/films/hollywood-films-decline-japan/#Echobox=1687488093

91-Ty-Xxv-Hp-HL-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80-FMwe

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But why? It's a superior movie to TLM lets not pretend it isn't. So why is this mid movie received better? I know that Japan is crazy about musicals but c'mon! Over AWOW is just absurd!

But TLM hasn't passed AWOW in Japan? It had one good hold after a harsh drop last week, but where it finishes remains to be seen. I haven't seen any sign that it is noticeably better received either. 

Overseas / global

Mermaid has earned $229.1M overseas and $499.3M globally.

It’s looking likely to only finish with around half of, or less than half of, the global earnings of:

• 2017’s Beauty and the Beast ($1.26B)
  • 2019’s Aladdin ($1.05B)
  • 2010’s Alice in Wonderland ($1.02B)
  • 2016’s The Jungle Book ($967.7M)
  • 2019’s The Lion King ($968.5M)

The top overseas market totals for Mermaid are:

1. U.K. ($29.5M)
  2. Mexico ($20.4M)
  3. Brazil ($15.5M)
  4. Japan ($14.4M)
  5. Italy ($12.7M)
  6. Australia ($12.7M)

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

TLM hasn't overcome AWOW in Japan.

That said, The Little Mermaid brand seems to be pretty popular in Japan. I think Tokyo Disney Resort has a section dedicated to this movie.

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

TLM hasn't overcome AWOW in Japan.

That said, The Little Mermaid brand seems to be pretty popular in Japan. I think Tokyo Disney Resort has a section dedicated to this movie.

Yes, Tokyo Disney Resort does have a TLM section. Ariel was also the face character with the longest meet and greet line when my family visited in late 2017.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

The top overseas market totals for Mermaid are:

1. U.K. ($29.5M)
  2. Mexico ($20.4M)
  3. Brazil ($15.5M)
  4. Japan ($14.4M)
  5. Italy ($12.7M)
  6. Australia ($12.7M)

Oh shit, we are gonna be surpassed by Australia

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm actually fuming that Japan likes this more than AWOW. Like WTF? Underwater effects were absolutely LAUGHABLE.

This isn't even true? TLM won't beat AWOW in Japan, not in gross anyway...but it's more of a case of both doing bad anyway...

On 6/26/2023 at 12:42 AM, Valonqar said:

AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER touched a very sensitive topic that is whaling. Japan is/was just one of three/four countries that hunt whales for commercial purposes and has been heavily criticized for it. I do not know how this being an important part of the movie affected people's perception of it. Whether this affected the movie's run or not, the drop from AVATAR is just hilariously bad.

From being the third most important territory for AVATAR it went down to twelfth for THE WAY OF WATER.

202.6M China
174.4M France
170.6M Japan
156.6M Germany
147.6M United Kingdom
116.1M Russia
108.3M South Korea
107.3M Spain
103.9M Australia
093.7M Italy
057.8M Brazil
043.8M Mexico

246.0M China
157.1M France
148.2M Germany
108.0M South Korea
093.3M United Kingdom
063.8M Australia
059.6M India
056.0M Mexico
054.5M Spain
048.0M Italy
046.0M Brazil
032.5M Japan

On 2/17/2023 at 10:59 PM, kayumanggi said:

$1113.3M THE LION KING

$695.1M ALADDIN

$759.5M BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Makes these overseas performances very impressive. TLM's worldwide number won't pass any of these.

• Like 1