Issac Newton

THE FIRST SLAM DUNK | $110.3M Japan | $168M OS | $278.3M WW

Europe-based theatrical-only distributor Piece of Magic Entertainment (POM) has launched POM Anime, a subsidiary for anime titles; and has acquired the strand’s first title, Japanese hit The First Slam Dunk.

POM Anime will distribute The First Slam Dunk in 35 territories, with plans to release the film in late summer 2023 across Scandinavia, Poland, the Baltics, Greece and the central European region.

• Like 1

Releases in Chile in August 3d. Presales start in July 5th

Fun fact: We have a Tenis player called Hanamichi Carvajal, he and all his siblings are named after Slam Dunk characters. He is currently taking a break from tenis and studying in the US. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

The biggest chain in the country is doing presales in an ungodly number of screens. The second largest is doing a more traditional presale with a few showings in each theater. Third largest (and easier to track) hasn't started yet. 

In any case, it seems it will be given the Dragon Ball Super treatment: a full wide blockbuster release.

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I was thinking DBS: Hero or DBS Resurrection F numbers, but with presales like that it could match Broly (Sadly, I don't think we ever got to know the full final LATAM numbers for any of these movies)

Edited by salvador-232
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

I was thinking DBS: Hero or DBS Resurrection F numbers, but with presales like that it could match Broly (Sadly, I don't think we ever got to know the full final LATAM numbers for any of these movies)

LATAM Yearly Books does give Numbers for the Topmost - I got Dragon Ball Super Broly &Demon Slayer Mugen Train Numbers from them. I think SLAM DUNK will also be recorded if it's able to give perform at the level of Broly but Yeah numbers for Suzume or Original Anime Film doesn't have any traces at all (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Peru &Colombia are known rest untraceable until Sony gave regional total these days)

BTW, I am extremely happy that LATAM showed up for SLAM DUNK!!

• Heart 1

I will also track the presales on the third largest chain (Cineplanet), though all my comps would be from before the pandemic. There is just so less info from Chile BO nowadays. 😔

They really should start tracking properly anime movies' grosses in Latin America. In Chile at least, distributors have successfully built a niche audience that has made Anime movies a consistent commercial success, one of the managers of the second largest chain (Cinemark) highlighted anime as one of the most successful genres post-pandemic. (Anime itself isn't really a niche in Chile or in any Latin American country, the popularity is very widespread, however people are very conditioned to watch it free in piracy websites). In fact, Suzume was a prime example of this, it had a semi-wide release (one screen at every theater in the country), had restrictions on discount in the first week (generally reserved for blockbusters but applied more and more to anime films given their frontloadness and success), showed some legs and I'm sure it ended being more successful than half of the Hollywood movies released here. And that was an original film (albeit from a known director) without a massive fanbase like DBS, Kimetsu no Yaiba or Slam Dunk.

I think that in a few years Japanese studios could compite toe to toe with Hollywood here IF they significantly shorten the time it takes for movies to arrive to Latin America (and that includes dubbing). Otherwise, rampant piracy will continue to be too big of a hustle. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

The biggest chain in the country is doing presales in an ungodly number of screens. The second largest is doing a more traditional presale with a few showings in each theater. Third largest (and easier to track) hasn't started yet

In any case, it seems it will be given the Dragon Ball Super treatment: a full wide blockbuster release.

Their website (cineplanet.cl) crashed the moment they published on IG that presales were available lmao. Luckily, I was able to get the available seating before that. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Heart 1

Chile Presales- one day before release

21 showtimes for OD | 3785 seats available | 1569 tickets sold. 

Other presales I tracked (Before pandemic, movie chains say that movies are now more presale-heavy)

Spoiler
  1. Avengers: Endgame: 46.843 (Estimated) 
  2. The Lion King: 6865
  3. Toy Story 4: 4030
  4. Joker: 3975
  5. Captain Marvel: 3964 
  6. Spiderman Far From Home: 3725
  7. Detective Pikachu: 851
  8. It: 752
  9. Shazam: 621
  10. X-Men Dark Phoenix : 439
  11. Alita Battle Angel: 225 
  12. Aladdin: 209 

It is frustrating because the chain I track is clearly under-indexing. The other chains have like 10x the number of showtimes and plenty of sellouts and near sellouts, but Cineplanet didn't do any promotion until this last week. In any case, over 40% of capacity sold is still really good, but not Broly-levels good. 

Hopefully the distributor release actuals over the weekend. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Heart 1

Cinemark and Cineplanet (50% of the market between them) underestimated demand. They put 1-2 showings a day in each location like an standard anime film when it is behaving like a Blockbuster. Cine Hoyts/Cinépolis (~40% share) is reaping the rewards because they gave it the blockbuster treatment. 

Sadly, this will limit a lot its potential. I really think it could have opened to 1M USD had it been given a wide release by all the chains. 

• Sad 1

The First Slam Dunk defeated Barbie and Oppenheimer (and The Meg lol) on Thursday, it was the n°1 movie in Chile with like half of the showings of Barbie. Insane. 

The chains that had it on limited release added showings over the weekend (something very rare) to satisfy demand. 

So this movie indeed was a Dragon Ball like event in Chile, but not in the rest of LATAM. I don't think is because of difference in popularity, I think is because the successful audience building for anime films that has been done here that I explained a while back. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1