kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He's generally an "acquired taste" filmmaker, and within those domains, his movies consistently make money. Even The French Dispatch didn't do so bad considering it came out during the height of COVID.

I saw Asteroid City yesterday with a packed audience made up of mostly older people, and I imagine a lot of that had to do with just how utterly starry it is (the cast being a mixture of A-listers, newer faces, and a whole bunch of notables who have earned their plaudits). Star power is still alive, in some capacity.

Not counting asteroid city, 6 of his 10 films weren't able to double their budget at the box office.

He's carved himself out a nice niche lane, but he isn't a draw. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Some here are eternally living the TDK era and think the world deserves to have Nolan’s Batman reruns at the box office for all eternity, with Bale eventually returning for Batman Beyond or something. A man’s dream is another man’s nightmare types of scenarios.

That sounds like my nightmare.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jonwo said:

People on here want no DC films for a decade aside from maybe Batman.

Well, I think no Brave and Bold until the Battinson series is done. Absolutely should release others though... Especially Superman Legacy. I still think if Gunn's hot streak continues that that one can do 300M+ DOM and 750M+ WW.

7 hours ago, LegionWrex said:

Elemental staying as the #2 for three weekends in a row would be actually be a really strong run considering how badly it seemed to be heading early in the month.

I wonder when the last time a movie was #2 three consecutive weekends with three different films at #1 each of the three weekends (Flash, AtSV, Indy)?

9 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Studios always seem to make comedies with super lame/predictable premises these days. I think the Hangover franchise ruined the more high concept comedies. 

I mean the original hangover was pretty wild and crazy...it was the sequels that got lame.  

Be honest a lot of sex comedies back then were pretty wild for today time.  

On 6/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, MightyDargon said:

No, they did not make Black Adam "kinda cool". They were a bunch of jobbers who accomplished nothing and got their asses beaten raw by Black Adam to make him look "dominant" in every single fight in the movie. If they get put into Gunn's DC it should NOT be using that method. 

I think Black Adam succeeded in elevating Hawkman as a cool, powerful character despite the character getting whupped in every fight and Doctor Fate is undeniably established a powerful. Two junior characters were fine but also clearly not intended to be as powerful. 

Ultimately you buy that these guys could have taken on "truly-evil-black-adam" (Sabaac) at the cost of Hawkman's life (though how much of a cost that is depends on whatever backstory they failed to establish). 

You also needed the Justice Society/League or someone like Green Lantern as the foil given story they wanted to tell. 

On 6/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, Speedorito said:

ZSJL was not “widely popular” it got less viewership than TSS (and both got less viewership than even stuff like Mortal Kombat). Die hard fans would’ve showed up to The Flash regardless, and they did. There are just very few of them.

I'm always abnormally gumpy about people citing The mortal kombat samba rating. Samba claimed it was a massive hit, well above what was conceptually plausible and, more importantly, well above what you can deduce by public statements by WB execs about ordinal rank of 2021 movies released on streaming. Samba's sample obviously just inflated Mortal Kombat's "true" viewership number which makes for plenty of goofy comparisons. 

Still could have been above ZSJL but let's not treat Samba's claim about MK seriously.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce