kayumanggi

THE WILD ROBOT | 09.27.2024 | Universal | Chris Sanders to direct | official trailer 2 on page 7

New clip and Kiss the Sky MV with additional new footage

Does spoil what I think is gonna be a major emotional arc in the film, so fair warning there

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Definitely can tell the HTTYD team is behind this, for better and worse. Dialogue has more of a "Hiccup's friends" energy to it than I was hoping but I guess that's what you have to do to grab mainstream family auds these days.

First public TIFF screening is on Sunday, seems like a lot of critics have seen it already though so embargo might be lifting earlier.

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Definitely can tell the HTTYD team is behind this, for better and worse. Dialogue has more of a "Hiccup's friends" energy to it than I was hoping but I guess that's what you have to do to grab mainstream family auds these days.

First public TIFF screening is on Sunday, seems like a lot of critics have seen it already though so embargo might be lifting earlier.

It is the only animated movie that Can take over inside out 2 in best animated feature if it doesnt do well then the academy will default to animated Pixar  movie because i doubt an r rated indie movie will beat it ( a memoir of a snail )

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Just not sensing it will break out with the General audience the way it needs to to make big bucks.

Why it is based on a Big Book and it looks good 

Quorum isn't ideal but reviews/wom are likely gonna be the tipping point here. No other big family movies until Wicked so plenty of room to leg out.

Presales start tomorrow, would be nice if some immediate demand shows up but not holding my breath

53 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'd be impressed if this could beat IO2 on the award circuits, but I won't hold my breath.

The awards circuits generally are more favorable to movies like this, I'm assuming what it's gonna be like based on the trailers but I'll wait until I finally see it for full judgement. Animated sequels, even if they make a ton of money, aren't the favorites historically so that's a point against both Inside Out 2 and Moana 2 even with the insane amount of money one has made and the other will make. As long as this one makes decent money it has a good shot. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wattage said:

The awards circuits generally are more favorable to movies like this, I'm assuming what it's gonna be like based on the trailers but I'll wait until I finally see it for full judgement. Animated sequels, even if they make a ton of money, aren't the favorites historically so that's a point against both Inside Out 2 and Moana 2 even with the insane amount of money one has made and the other will make. As long as this one makes decent money it has a good shot. 

Yeah, Boy and the Heron winning over Spider-Verse 2 despite that having similar raves and a lot more money at the box office tells me that the Academy would prefer to award something less repetitive when they get the chance, and this seems like a perfect chance.

Launching this at TIFF was such a brilliant move. When it comes to non-sequel/brand animated movies post-COVID, the only ones to open above $20M have been Encanto, The Bad Guys, and Elemental. Families have become a lot more skittish about taking their kids to something that's not based on or directly following up something they already love, so hopefully this early word gets more of them to check it out, and maybe even the kind of curious adult audience that checks out Pixar movies. Regardless of how it opens, it looks like WOM and a total dearth of family options between this and Moana 2 should give it some good legs.