kayumanggi

THE WILD ROBOT | 09.27.2024 | Universal | Chris Sanders to direct | official trailer 2 on page 7

Transformers One Bows To $39M Global Box Office (deadline.com)

Also new this session, Universal began staggered international release on DreamWorks Animation’s The Wild Robot, with eight markets grossing $6.9M, including $4M from China. Excluding China, the performance is in line with Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, and above Migration, Elemental and The Bad Guys.

China was the top opener with $4M and a 9.6 on both Maoyan and TPP, the best scores ever for the studio on any of its titles in the market. 

In Australia, Wild Robot took advantage of staggered school holidays for a $2M start including $800K from previews and at No.1 in the market. Reviews and audience reactions have been outstanding.

Malaysia opened to $400K including previews, in line with Puss 2 and above Trolls and Migration. Norway opened a week before the rolling fall school break with $200K at No.1. This is above Bad Guys and well above Puss 2 and Migration excluding previews.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Saw it yesterday.

Honestly this is an instant classic. On par with the very best of Dreamworks animation with the original Shrek and How To Train Your Dragon. They have a winner on their hands here so hopefully it performs. Should win best animation ahead of Inside Out 2.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Almost $7M from only 8 regions is honestly not bad at all. It's certainly a good sign for things to come when it opens in the rest of the world next weekend. I'm pissed over Transformers failing, so I really hope people show up for this movie at least. I can't see it until it opens in mid-November in my area, so I'll just cheer from the sidelines.

Honestly it’s totally gonna make more money than transformers, but looking at the current numbers makes me think it might also fail? I mean the damn looks a lot more expensive than TFOne that’s for sure 

Wild Robot is 20% higher in Austrailia atm (2mil vs 1.6mil iirc) and they both opened on the same day, and in China it’s also 20% higher than TFOne, but TFOne has only had previews and early access in China so far.

What other countries did it release in aside from China and Austrailia?

Edited by CheeseWizard

Budget's probably somewhere in the $100mil range, that's where Dreamworks movies have been hovering around recently.

With good WOM and evidently what looks like solid international turnout, should be good to make that back. My ambitions for it remain much higher ofc.

The budget will be 90 mill or so. Around Puss In Boots numbers. The art style is just more appealing to you and others but this does not look like an overly expensive project. The style is very beneficial for keeping budgets down since they don't need to animate thousands of strands of fur on every animals back. AniNate posted the breakdown yesterday with the countries from Deadline. 

56 minutes ago, wattage said:

The budget will be 90 mill or so. Around Puss In Boots numbers. The art style is just more appealing to you and others but this does not look like an overly expensive project. The style is very beneficial for keeping budgets down since they don't need to animate thousands of strands of fur on every animals back. AniNate posted the breakdown yesterday with the countries from Deadline. 

Fair enough. Wild Robot does look pretty af though

57 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Budget's probably somewhere in the $100mil range, that's where Dreamworks movies have been hovering around recently.

With good WOM and evidently what looks like solid international turnout, should be good to make that back. My ambitions for it remain much higher ofc.

That’s kind of my worry atm, idk if it is having solid international turnout, cus it looks like it’s on par with TFOne when comparing the markets they share. It’s a decent bit better in austrailia, practically tied in Malaysia and is likely going to be outpaced in China once TFOne actually comes out 

In Australia, Wild Robot has 2 million, TFOne has 1.6 million 

In China, Wild Robot has 3.7 million, TFOne has 3.2 million

In Malaysia, Wild Robot has 392,000, TFOne has 388,000  

I might be wrong on the Malaysia one cus I got the info from here and converted it but still

in the few markets they’re sharing, Wild Robot doesn’t look like it’s doing much better than TFOne is.

Edited by CheeseWizard

Australia and Malaysia are pretty normal openings for new IP animated movies. Opened better than Elemental in both territories. The issue with TFOne is it's not a new IP so really good legs don't seem as likely. 

China is admittedly not real good but does seem prime to take off as a word of mouth hit there as well. Animated movies have largely managed to succeed with minimal China assistance recently.

Edited by AniNate

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Australia and Malaysia are pretty normal openings for new IP animated movies. Opened better than Elemental in both territories. The issue with TFOne is it's not a new IP so really good legs don't seem as likely. 

China is admittedly not real good but does seem prime to take off as a word of mouth hit there as well. Animated movies have largely managed to succeed with minimal China assistance recently.

Fair enough then. Hopefully unusually good WOM gives TFOne at least some pair of legs. Though WOM is going crazy af for both atm 

The projected final gross in China is 5-6m.   The movie dropped 90% from Sunday to Monday dropping to 7th place.  10 new films are releasing for the Chinese Holiday.  I dont think Wild Robot will be playing in many theaters on 10/1 when National Day Holiday starts in China.

4 hours ago, JimmyB said:

The projected final gross in China is 5-6m.   The movie dropped 90% from Sunday to Monday dropping to 7th place.  10 new films are releasing for the Chinese Holiday.  I dont think Wild Robot will be playing in many theaters on 10/1 when National Day Holiday starts in China.

It's fairly on trend with animated films and would've been great for WOM to carry it if there weren't a ton of films coming out for the holiday, which is why I said to reign any expectations in the other day. My hope is it holds on to a decent amount of screens over the weekend when Transformers comes out so the 3 day can be good and it can cling to a few screenings on Monday. We'll see whats going on with the daily allocations when we get closer.