Eric Duncan

The Color Purple (2023)

The Color Purple (2023)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Went today with my wife and MIL. The verdict: no one liked it. 0 for 3. Their main complaint was that it was too long. I couldn’t disagree, this is a slog. It’s rare that I don’t like a musical, but even the song and dance numbers couldn’t hold my attention, maybe because for obvious reasons they are all gospel/blues based and it gets kind of one-note after a while.

I have not read the book or seen the original film, so I can’t comment on that aspect of it, but both my wife and MIL have. They felt it did not do the original story justice.

I will say it’s pretty to look at, the dance numbers are well-staged, the period sets are eye candy, basically from a technical perspective it is absolutely fine. But the characters and songs struggled and ultimately failed to hold my attention. I give it a C.

A very solid second adaptation though it's lacking that really special quality that would've elevated it to a higher level among movie musicals. Perhaps it's because the energetic, well-made musical numbers are often at odds with the rather dark nature of the material at times. Also could be that none of the songs themselves are particularly memorable. Spielberg's classic remains the definitive take on this story (the Whoopi cameo at the beginning made me smile).

What makes this edition soar more often than not is its tremendous cast: Fantasia Barrino fits the part of Celie in this version perfectly, Danielle Brooks is simply a force of nature who makes as strong of an impression as Oprah did in the original, Taraji P. Henson lights up the screen in all of her scenes as she does, Colman Domingo is appropriately vile as the detestable Mister, and supporting performances from Corey Hawkins, Halle Bailey, Ciara, H.E.R., and many others all add to the movie. Great production values as well. While not perfect, the many positives this has going for it allow for it to justify its existence.

B+

the first adaptation is a lower tier Spielberg to me but I couldn't stop thinking while watching this that I was probably underrating it because of how poorly everything is staged in this comparatively. it makes that movie seem amazing.