JustWatching

Weekdays Thread 1/2 - 1/4

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Lol did anyone have Anyone But You outcrossing The Color Purple on their bingo card a month ago? Because we might have to start considering that possibility.

Also, this is one unique instance where our faith in the tracking team led us astray. Under normal circumstances, without prior knowledge of Xmas day presales, I would not have thought TCP might become a 150M+ grosser, and would have predicted something closer to 70-80M.

Why would it be obviously closer to Fences than Hairspray? TCP has a number of things working for it on paper. Even with penalties for adult movies post-covid this is just a bad number for the type of lavish tentpole film this is.  

37 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Why would it be obviously closer to Fences than Hairspray? TCP has a number of things working for it on paper. Even with penalties for adult movies post-covid this is just a bad number for the type of lavish tentpole film this is.  

In terms of tone, The Color Purple is closer to Fences than Hairspray. Despite the musical numbers, there's still a lot of very heavy drama. Also, Fences was a major studio Oscar hopeful with a primarily Black cast and a Christmas Day release, so it wasn't unreasonable to use as a reference point for the box office.

There's frontloading and there frontloading, even posters who saw the signs didn't think it would be record setting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

In terms of tone, The Color Purple is closer to Fences than Hairspray. Despite the musical numbers, there's still a lot of very heavy drama. Also, Fences was a major studio Oscar hopeful with a primarily Black cast and a Christmas Day release, so it wasn't unreasonable to use as a reference point for the box office.

There's frontloading and there frontloading, even posters who saw the signs didn't think it would be record setting.

Yeah, that's all fair. The anti-Fences-as-comp case I was thinking about revolved more around scale than tone. Fences just has that obvious "this is adapting a play" tells where you're ultimately set in a single, relatively sparse location (the house) while TCP's marketing gave clear signposting of the scale of the film you can make on a $90M budget. But yeah, Fences is an obviously reasonable comps.

The BO response has been really interesting. Despite "objective" scores, we're seeing a straight up rejection of the film and I'm still trying to put together my specific takeaway.

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The BO response has been really interesting. Despite "objective" scores, we're seeing a straight up rejection of the film and I'm still trying to put together my specific takeaway.

Don't spend $90-100 million on a musical that needs multiple trigger warnings? At least not in this economy. I say that and then watch an R rated Joker 2 be a big hit.

Obviously The Color Purple is an entirely different situation from a comic book property. There was clearly a miscalculation in the level of audience interest; development for this version was first reported in 2018 and that was a lifetime ago for moviegoing habits and cultural trends. Back then there were more moviegoers overall, being an awards push with good reviews provided a bigger box office boost, and more of the audience probably took chances on things outside of their comfort zone.

With TCP in particular the divisiveness of the story seems more widespread than it was 5 years ago and audiences are more comfortable about voting with their wallets.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1