JustWatching

Weekdays Thread 1/2 - 1/4

I think Anyone but you is far way from something you can call a phenomenon.

It started very low and now thanks to Christmas is showing good legs and increases.

It's fun to Watch where It can go and to see a movie grewing up in a second weekend. But It needs way Better numbers and statistics to be called something even near to a phenomenon imo. 

Edited by vale9001

56 minutes ago, M37 said:

I dunno man, who takes them in the summer weekdays when they’re out of school for months? 

Swim team coaches and summer camps...especially the latter.  It's amazing how many summer camps use movies as the weekly "field trip."  It's why some kid movie ALWAYS has to do decently in summer...but it's gotta be animated and "safe" for all ages...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JustWatching said:
- (1) Wonka Warner Bros. $3,155,000 -31% -61% 4,051 $779 $147,523,534 20
- (3) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Warner Bros. $2,230,000 -37% -63% 3,787 $589 $87,505,070 13
- (4) Anyone But You Sony Pictures $2,150,000 -10% -18% 3,055 $704 $32,221,658 13
- (6) The Color Purple Warner Bros. $915,000 -37% -76% 3,203 $286 $49,039,897 10
- (-) Napoleon Sony Pictures $78,000 -11% -59% 750 $104 $60,841,185 43

What a hold again for ABY , I saw on BOM for a stat , if ABY increase next weekend which is possible at this point , it will be the first time ever for a movie (opening with more than 2000 theaters) to increase on 2nd and 3rd Weekend

Is this ABY , after TCP, can double Aquaman 2 and be in the top 3 this weekend.

Wonka has the same decrease than Jumanji 2 (-32%) , Ferdinand (-33%) , a little higher than Coco (-28%) , i think he will make a 30% drop this weekend and a 15,5M-16M a little better than expecting

Edited by Grand Cine
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustWatching said:
- (1) Wonka Warner Bros. $3,155,000 -31% -61% 4,051 $779 $147,523,534 20
- (3) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Warner Bros. $2,230,000 -37% -63% 3,787 $589 $87,505,070 13
- (4) Anyone But You Sony Pictures $2,150,000 -10% -18% 3,055 $704 $32,221,658 13
- (6) The Color Purple Warner Bros. $915,000 -37% -76% 3,203 $286 $49,039,897 10
- (-) Napoleon Sony Pictures $78,000 -11% -59% 750 $104 $60,841,185 43

Anyone But You is showing extremely good legs, which makes me pretty curious about its box office this weekend.

On the contrary, the legs of The Color Purple seem to be terrible. We can just hope the weekend is better.

Looks like people really into some horny moment in the cinema. It is time to reboot deep throat and have it release during No Nut November and legs out to destroy dick December. TikTok will go wild for that. 

Maybe it is about time people start getting nostalgic of golden age of cinematic adult content back in 1970s.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Anyone But You is showing extremely good legs, which makes me pretty curious about its box office this weekend.

On the contrary, the legs of The Color Purple seem to be terrible. We can just hope the weekend is better.

ABY has no direct competition. The only other romance movie THG is winding down its run. OTOH, TCP is competing with another musical and it's a remake which turns off people who love the original or simply don't want to see the same story twice even with different cast and genre (drama vs musical). Why WB thought that releasing 2 such movies at the same time was a good idea iss beyond me casue even if you calculate different demos they do cross over to a large degree being the same genre. And since Wionka is much more holiday friendly, it siphoned the muscal demand.

35 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

-                    

embarrassing

Le Miserables gets it to 66

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

ABY has no direct competition. The only other romance movie THG is winding down its run. OTOH, TCP is competing with another musical and it's a remake which turns off people who love the original or simply don't want to see the same story twice even with different cast and genre (drama vs musical). Why WB thought that releasing 2 such movies at the same time was a good idea iss beyond me casue even if you calculate different demos they do cross over to a large degree being the same genre. And since Wionka is much more holiday friendly, it siphoned the muscal demand.

The demographics between Wonka and TCP don't really cross so much. The Color Purple main demographic is African American (69%), while this audience is pretty small for Wonka (9%). So, I really doubt Wonka hurts TCP at a significant level.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think Anyone but you is far way from something you can call a phenomenon.

It started very low and now thanks to Christmas is showing good legs and increases.

It's fun to Watch where It can go and to see a movie grewing up in a second weekend. But It needs way Better numbers and statistics to be called something even near to a phenomenon imo. 

a movie like Pretty Woman didn’t have TikTok and it adjusts to 445 million domestic. All this shows me is that despite far more ways to raise awareness of your movie these days, far less people go to the movies 

re: Anyone But You

Audiences are clearly still there for these things, the Conglomerates just have to … and I know they hate this … try. Put the effort in.

No Hard Feelings got to $50 million despite lacking positive buzz and ultimately being pretty awful. If that movie had the goods, it probably would have been a smash. Even in boom times, the biggest comedies were rarely hits just by virtue of being comedies, they were hits because people loved them.

All it takes is one filmmaker to tap into something like Wedding Crashers or The Hangover and the oh-so-convenient “actually audiences only want the pre-sold IP that we control, please refer to our existing menu” narrative will start to change. 

Edited by MisterLibby

Just now, John Marston said:

a movie like Pretty Woman didn’t have TikTok and it adjusts to 445 million domestic. All this shows me is that despite far more ways to raise awareness of your movie these days, far less people go to the movies 

"Far more ways to raise awareness" is completely meaningless. It just fragments advertising which renders it way less effective especially when a fuckload of people directly opt out of said advertising through adblocking.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It’s been that way for a good while mate.

Damn, Anyone But You has the best hold by far today out of all the movies. I wonder where it'll end at.

Colour Purple also gets a "damn", but for the opposite reason. Dropping below $1M so soon is embarrassing, especially when its opening day was $18M. And the worst is still yet to come as it'll be destroyed overseas.