JustWatching

Weekdays Thread 1/2 - 1/4

The legs for Anyone But You are extremely good:

Unfortunately, I can't say the same about The Color Purple:

Edited by Kon

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

OTOH, TCP is competing with another musical and it's a remake which turns off people who love the original or simply don't want to see the same story twice even with different cast and genre (drama vs musical). Why WB thought that releasing 2 such movies at the same time was a good idea iss beyond me casue even if you calculate different demos they do cross over to a large degree being the same genre. And since Wionka is much more holiday friendly, it siphoned the muscal demand.

The Color Purple's problem seems to be a lack of strong interest outside of one demo and even some Black audiences take issue with it. Wonka not being there probably wouldn't improve things much. One is a family movie and one really isn't. TCP is a heavy PG-13 and not in a "fantasy CGI violence" CBM sort of way but gritty real world trigger warning stuff. If you're a musical junkie who sees everything you're seeing both, but in general it's probably not a choice between one or the other.

Movie audiences seem to be rejecting the very idea of TCP as a musical, though it was a Broadway success before. Les Misérables was grim, but it was way more popular than TCP on stage, so it had a bigger fanbase to pull from for the movie. So did Phantom of the Opera but that didn't work out.

There probably is some audience fatigue in the "non-musical movie to Broadway show to movie musical of the Broadway show" pipeline. We will see if the new Mean Girls fares any better.

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

the comment feel so funny cuz everybody believe it's TENET.

Nolan doing Peleton is even more shocking to me than him being a Talladega Nights fan. Lol does he wear a suit?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On social media, it seems like The Color Purple is really hated by black men. It's quite rare for there to be such a schism between the taste of black women & black men. Normally one gender might simply be indifferent to a movie loved by the other one, such as The Little mermaid remake, but in the case of TCP, several black men really don't like that the movie is portraying a black man as a douche (to put it lightly) which has caused radioactive WOM amongst them.

• Like 1

One of the things I keep seeing when people try to talk about the box office on social media/tiktok etc. is a fundamental misunderstanding that I don’t see addressed a whole lot. I’ve mentioned it before, but I wanted to bring it up.

I just saw a video of someone talking about how theaters were all empty this year because of bombs like Indiana Jones or Aquaman or Transformers. As opposed to last year when we had hits like EEAAO. This person said that 2023 needed more big hits like EEAAO in order for theaters to survive. 

I’m going to assume that either this person never actually looked at the raw numbers and only looked at Letterboxd, or they misunderstand how box office works. For theaters, a 150M DOM grosser and a 170M DOM grosser are solid hits. Indiana Jones was a solid, consistent performer this summer at my local theaters, and it didn’t over perform or underperform here. The reason it’s a bomb is because of its massive budget. 

But theaters don’t really care about the budget. Indiana Jones is going to sell 2-3x the number of tickets that EEAAO will sell, bring in 2-3x as many people to the concession. For theaters, they would much rather have an Indiana Jones or Transformers than an EEAAO or an Aftersun or a Saltburn. Just because smaller movies are hits relative to their budget, the budget doesn’t matter to a theater. What is the raw number of tickets being sold? That’s all that matters. 

So no, theaters weren’t more empty in 2023 than they were in 2022 or 2021 simply because there were more bombs. Many more tickets were sold, revenues were up, even though it’s still far below where we were pre pandemic. AMC and Cinemark don’t care that Dial of Destiny had a 325M budget and was therefore a bomb. It was still a 60M opener that had decent legs throughout the summer.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Agafin said:

On social media, it seems like The Color Purple is really hated by black men. It's quite rare for there to be such a schism between the taste of black women & black men. Normally one gender might simply be indifferent to a movie loved by the other one, such as The Little mermaid remake, but in the case of TCP, several black men really don't like that the movie is portraying a black man as a douche (to put it lightly) which has caused radioactive WOM amongst them.

Should have made the douchebag white. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Looking at Anyone But You's number, and comparing to the Wednesday between second and third weekends.

-Greatest Showman Wednesday was 17% of it's second weekend. ABY is 24%.

-If we apply the third weekend to Wednesday ratio from TGS, ABY will have a third weekend of $11.1, or a 27% from last weekend.

I'm not proposing we're going to see a historic increase like that. We're likely dealing with a similarly leggy film that is doing better on weekdays. But I think a flat hold or modest increase is certainly a realistic outcome.

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2024/01/global-box-office-2023-total-barbie-super-mario-bros-oppenheimer-international-china-1235694955/

Global Box office of 2023 : 33,9B (+30% vs 2022 , -15% vs 2017-2019)

US/Canada : 9B (+21% vs 2022, -21% vs 2017-2019)

China : 7,7B (+83%, -6%)

India : i think because they don't have numbers

Japan : 1,48B

UK/Ireland : 1,36B

France : 1,35B

Germany : 1,01B

Korea : 970M

Mexico : 940M

Australia : 670M

Italy : 550M

Spain : 540M

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Lmao people are still mad at that after all these years? Give me a break.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

I think Anyone but you is far way from something you can call a phenomenon.

It started very low and now thanks to Christmas is showing good legs and increases.

It's fun to Watch where It can go and to see a movie grewing up in a second weekend. But It needs way Better numbers and statistics to be called something even near to a phenomenon imo. 

Statistics you say? How about this, pulling from the best second weekend hold list

Change from Opening Fri or Sat (12/23) to third Sat (in January)

• Greatest Showman: $3.54 --> $5.85 = +65%
  • Puss in Boots*: $3.80 --> $5.98 = +57%
  • We Bought a Zoo*: $2.98 -->$3.81 = +28% [prob +50% removing previews]
  • Jumanji WTJ: $14.77 --> $15.82 = +7%
  • Cheaper by Dozen 2*: $3.90 --> $3.93 = +1%
  • Passengers*: $4.46 --> $3.81 = -15%
  • Night at Museum: $12.59 --> $10.49 = -17%

*Used Fri 12/23 for releases where Xmas Eve fell on Sat

Given that ABY's second Wed is already above its opening Saturday ($2.15M vs $1.77M), its going to wind up in the top 3, if not at the very top. And even if you use TFri ($2.28M) as the baseline comparison point, will still likely wind up in/near the Showman/Puss range

Now various genres behave differently pre- and post-Xmas, so this isn't a totally fair comparison, and we'll have to wait and if/how much it falls off once the holiday period fully ends (a fair amount IMO, as the teens and college kids driving these sales go back to school). But the short term run has been mighty impressive (and at least to me, certainly unexpected)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Anyone But You good legs just the beginning of the year of Powell. Twisters is making one billion dollars and he'll win an Oscar for this Hit Man movie.

Before we all get too excited, around this time last year, people were predicting 2023 to be the year of Jonathan Majors.

Here's hoping that Glen Powell is a normal chill dude and not a raging abusive maniac.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

Before we all get too excited, around this time last year, people were predicting 2023 to be the year of Jonathan Majors.

Here's hoping that Glen Powell is a normal chill dude and not a raging abusive maniac.

ok eeyore damn.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Statistics you say? How about this, pulling from the best second weekend hold list

Change from Opening Fri or Sat (12/23) to third Sat (in January)

• Greatest Showman: $3.54 --> $5.85 = +65%
  • Puss in Boots*: $3.80 --> $5.98 = +57%
  • We Bought a Zoo*: $2.98 -->$3.81 = +28% [prob +50% removing previews]
  • Jumanji WTJ: $14.77 --> $15.82 = +7%
  • Cheaper by Dozen 2*: $3.90 --> $3.93 = +1%
  • Passengers*: $4.46 --> $3.81 = -15%
  • Night at Museum: $12.59 --> $10.49 = -17%

*Used Fri 12/23 for releases where Xmas Eve fell on Sat

Given that ABY's second Wed is already above its opening Saturday ($2.15M vs $1.77M), its going to wind up in the top 3, if not at the very top. And even if you use TFri ($2.28M) as the baseline comparison point, will still likely wind up in/near the Showman/Puss range

Now various genres behave differently pre- and post-Xmas, so this isn't a totally fair comparison, and we'll have to wait and if/how much it falls off once the holiday period fully ends (a fair amount IMO, as the teens and college kids driving these sales go back to school). But the short term run has been mighty impressive (and at least to me, certainly unexpected)

I appreciate the post. My back of the envelope calcs certainly point this towards the very special category, but I always enjoy when you bring the detailed stats.

It's felt like we'd see something break out with a holiday calendar that was missing the usual 800 lbs gorilla, but I doubt many people had this film as the breakout.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Looking at Anyone But You's number, and comparing to the Wednesday between second and third weekends.

-Greatest Showman Wednesday was 17% of it's second weekend. ABY is 24%.

-If we apply the third weekend to Wednesday ratio from TGS, ABY will have a third weekend of $11.1, or a 27% from last weekend.

I'm not proposing we're going to see a historic increase like that. We're likely dealing with a similarly leggy film that is doing better on weekdays. But I think a flat hold or modest increase is certainly a realistic outcome.

Passengers as a comp would project to ~$11.5M (5x) from Wed, and even Pitch Perfect 3 (4.5x) to like $9.5M. I do think it will trend closer to the latter based on demo skew, and also that Night Swim might steal some of its younger, female-leaning audience, but the top 4 holdovers last year all had at least a 5x. That would still be an increase from last weekend's NYE-impacted $8.75M

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DAJK said:

One of the things I keep seeing when people try to talk about the box office on social media/tiktok etc. is a fundamental misunderstanding that I don’t see addressed a whole lot. I’ve mentioned it before, but I wanted to bring it up.

I just saw a video of someone talking about how theaters were all empty this year because of bombs like Indiana Jones or Aquaman or Transformers. As opposed to last year when we had hits like EEAAO. This person said that 2023 needed more big hits like EEAAO in order for theaters to survive. 

I’m going to assume that either this person never actually looked at the raw numbers and only looked at Letterboxd, or they misunderstand how box office works. For theaters, a 150M DOM grosser and a 170M DOM grosser are solid hits. Indiana Jones was a solid, consistent performer this summer at my local theaters, and it didn’t over perform or underperform here. The reason it’s a bomb is because of its massive budget. 

But theaters don’t really care about the budget. Indiana Jones is going to sell 2-3x the number of tickets that EEAAO will sell, bring in 2-3x as many people to the concession. For theaters, they would much rather have an Indiana Jones or Transformers than an EEAAO or an Aftersun or a Saltburn. Just because smaller movies are hits relative to their budget, the budget doesn’t matter to a theater. What is the raw number of tickets being sold? That’s all that matters. 

So no, theaters weren’t more empty in 2023 than they were in 2022 or 2021 simply because there were more bombs. Many more tickets were sold, revenues were up, even though it’s still far below where we were pre pandemic. AMC and Cinemark don’t care that Dial of Destiny had a 325M budget and was therefore a bomb. It was still a 60M opener that had decent legs throughout the summer.

True. Theaters wouldn't care about the movies being profitable for studios. At most, they would care about studios stopping to produce the movies that bring big ticket sales.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Looks like people really into some horny moment in the cinema. It is time to reboot deep throat and have it release during No Nut November and legs out to destroy dick December. TikTok will go wild for that. 

Maybe it is about time people start getting nostalgic of golden age of cinematic adult content back in 1970s.

Why don't you see it first before making silly comments like this? 

• Knock It Off 1

59 minutes ago, Kon said:

True. Theaters wouldn't care about the movies being profitable for studios. At most, they would care about studios stopping to produce the movies that bring big ticket sales.

Theaters wished The Marvels was a hit instead of being one of the biggest flops of all time. Nearly empty Marvels showtimes means theaters don't get money.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

My predictions for this weekend :

Wonka : 15,5M

Migration : 12M

Aquaman 2 : 10,5M

Anyone But You : 10M

Night Swim : 9,5M

The Boys and the Boat : 5M

TCP : 4,5M

Ferrari : 2,6M

HG : 2,1M