Eric is Smiling

Predator: Badlands | November 7, 2025

43 minutes ago, Nero said:

If hunky men fight and appear all the time it's not boring but when girl appear in 2nd movie it becomes stale. Lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Hunky men didn't appear all the time, only in Predator and partially Predators, each movie had different set of characters, there's nothing wrong with asking for a tough woman for a change instead of another girly girl in a row. Franchises set certain expectations of who their heroes are supposed to be, it's more appealing when characters fighting Predator don't look ridiculous.

Edited by Firepower

Okay but Elle Fanning is a badass and a great actress, so this whole weird and gross and sexist “girly girl” schtick you’re doing? We don’t need it. So please stop. I can already tell you’re gonna act weird with this movie like you did with Romulus and Gladiator 2 and like…the bit’s old. We don’t need this energy. So stop. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eric is Smiling said:

Okay but Elle Fanning is a badass and a great actress, so this whole weird and gross and sexist “girly girl” schtick you’re doing? We don’t need it. So please stop. I can already tell you’re gonna act weird with this movie like you did with Romulus and Gladiator 2 and like…the bit’s old. We don’t need this energy. So stop. Thanks. :)

I'm not gonna watch this movie, I'm not big Prey fan. Elle is fine actress, but she's no badass, she's the exact opposite of Ripley/Sarah Connor type. There's nothing weird, sexist or gross in pointing out that people can be very different and certain types don't suit certain roles very well, that's how casting works, like Jonah Hill would look ridiculous in Arnold's role in Predator and I don't think you'd argue with that.

Hey, I actually think Gladiator 2 is gonna be a success because of super random market, I don't have that many complaints about it.

But whatever, I said what I wanted to say.

I'm not sure what Elle Fanning has ever done that would qualify her as a "badass," exactly. That seems like describing Jay Baruchel circa 2008 (when he was also in his mid 20s) as a badass, or the Asa Butterfield of today. I mean, anyone *could* give a go at playing a badass and maybe it'd work out well, but there's not really any obvious badassness on display in regards to any of the three celebrities mentioned.

I'd like for her to be great in the role and for the movie to be a good time, which time will tell, but it isn't like they got Charlize Theron, or someone else who's already proven their action movie bonafides, and questioning her action credentials would obviously be rather suspect.

• Like 1

I'm with Firepower on this. Yep, for the most part predators were defeated by brains in previous movies, but it's silly to suggest that physical strength doesn't matter at all. Why it's controversial to say that someone like Katy O'Brien would be better fit for this? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cinema pal said:

I'm with Firepower on this. Yep, for the most part predators were defeated by brains in previous movies, but it's silly to suggest that physical strength doesn't matter at all. Why it's controversial to say that someone like Katy O'Brien would be better fit for this? 

You can criticize her role after watching the movie. Who knows she might bulk up or use some weapons or brain smart? Anime is better in this regard even skinny dude/girls can fight and be badass instead of just being bulky or what not. 

4 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Physically what's the difference between Elle Fanning and Sigourney Weaver?

You're not going to top the testosterone of the original predator movie so why try?

Terminator/Alien/Predator all have a long tradition of femme fatales. And it mostly works.

Again, I don't see any meat head fighting a predator topping the first one. Special forces getting annihilated one by one. The face off and booby traps at the end. It was the perfect manhood opus. Anything similar is getting overshadowed.

Shane Black tried and failed. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Physically what's the difference between Elle Fanning and Sigourney Weaver?

She's taller and less skinny. Why do you ask, I wonder? Considering Ripley avoided xeno antil the final 5 min of the movie and then just threw that screaming pig into space after pushing a button. Alien didn't try to kill her because she was strong warrior in a sport competition. And btw Prey had several close range fight scenes, wich looked kinda silly and unbelievable cause it requiered much strength. The film was ok, I just don't want another 2 hours of plot armor, no thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I mean, I do feel like anime really isn't the best defense. They don't really have to concern themselves with believability much and sex appeal is definitely a factor.

Predator is itself fictious character. What's believable about that? My point was u don't really need bulky guys to show that only they can fight against predator. Like take Bruce Lee for example or how that samurai fight happened in predator movie. That kinda stuff can be done easily 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

You're not going to top the testosterone of the original predator movie so why try?

Terminator/Alien/Predator all have a long tradition of femme fatales. And it mostly works.

Again, I don't see any meat head fighting a predator topping the first one. Special forces getting annihilated one by one. The face off and booby traps at the end. It was the perfect manhood opus. Anything similar is getting overshadowed.

Shane Black tried and failed. 

The main female characters in the Terminator/Alien/Predator franchises are strong, capable, flawed, determined and all kinds of other things, but they aren't women who use seduction, mystery, beauty, or in any way play up traditionally "feminine" angles to further an agenda, so I don't think "femme fatale" would really apply.

And Predator knocking it out of the park nearly 40 years ago doesn't mean strong male leads (which shouldn't automatically mean some Schwarzenegger-esque physique) should be retired. Wouldn't that also apply to Alien/Aliens/The Terminator/T2? I mean, they had such iconic female leads that can't be topped, so why bother?

Edited by Mandatory
  • Like 1

They want to bring in more of the female audience by making the MC a young woman.

Alien has female leads from the start.

Also the Final Girl trope is popular and exists in horror for a reason. It feels more rewarding when a woman beats the killer/monster.

• Heart 2

Moderation

Yeah, we're done with this sexist nonsense. None of you have any idea what the movie is about, none of you have any evidence that proves that women being in a Predator movie means it's a disaster, none of you have any evidence that Elle Fanning is horrible casting. So this sexist garbage is not needed.

Anybody who is still complaining about Elle Fanning on the basis of "she's a girly girl" or "she's not badass enough" or any other sexist dogwhistles (yes, you are being sexist, don't even try to argue otherwise) will see a thread ban. I know some of you might be very upset over this, but if you don't like how things are run, feel free to go elsewhere. We're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk about this new Predator movie. It makes no sense to hang out in a place you hate.

If anybody has an issue with what I'm saying, please talk to me privately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

She's taller and less skinny. Why do you ask, I wonder? Considering Ripley avoided xeno antil the final 5 min of the movie and then just threw that screaming pig into space after pushing a button. Alien didn't try to kill her because she was strong warrior in a sport competition. And btw Prey had several close range fight scenes, wich looked kinda silly and unbelievable cause it requiered much strength. The film was ok, I just don't want another 2 hours of plot armor, no thanks. 

lmao