kayumanggi

SOUND OF HOPE: THE STORY OF POSSUM TROT | 07.04.2024 | Angel

The film tells the story of Bishop and First Lady Donna Martin living in the town of Possum Trot in East Texas. Based on a true story, it follows how the couple, along with 22 families, adopted 77 of the most difficult to place children in their town’s local foster care system and ignited a movement to protect vulnerable children that continues today.

Angel Studios Acquires 'Possum Trot' | Exclusive (thewrap.com)

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 9:52 PM, misterpepp said:

Angel pulled a Sony and re-named this "Sound of Hope: The Story of Possum Trot".

I wonder why...

Maybe people thought it was a sequel to Sound of Freedom?

Edited by poweranimals

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is also seeing free tickets push. I wonder if that can help like Freedom last year. But it did not work for Cabrini. 

Probme with Hope is it does not have a chance of hell of attracting the action movie crowd that Freedom did.

Even a lot of the  ultru macho right wing males who turned out for Freedom will not turn out for this.

This will do usual numbers for Faith  films.

Edited by dudalb

This is also seeing free tickets push. I wonder if that can help like Freedom last year. But it did not work for Cabrini. 

For context, they generated $1.1M in theatrical PiF tickets for Cabrini (or really cabrini + other films in theaters in q1) [and this number did not exceed PiF redemptions]. On the other hand, while $1.1M isn't Sound of Freedom, it's probably increased final gross by 3-4% if we assume half of that money actually increased turnout from cost conscious consumers. 

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This will do usual numbers for Faith  films.

That wouldn't be great given the film's 16M budget. 

Don't know how this would translate but I also wonder if Angel puts extra muscle into this film given that they've recently officially lost rights to the tv show The Chosen, which represented a massive portion of their revenue (only 20% in 2023 as they launched a theatrical project and lost some chosen rights and but 90% of revenue in 2022). This film isn't as important as David but they're actively engaged in a $20M round of new funding. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Didn't help Sight or The Shift either.  Angel Studios is looking like a one hit wonder

3 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Didn't help Sight or The Shift either.  Angel Studios is looking like a one hit wonder

I feel like they need to do a lighter yearly slate with bigger, quality productions. This releasing a bunch of Hallmark style Christian movies isn't going to work (this coming from a person of faith). I know that route carries more risk but these films like Sight and what not just don't have much of an audience, even among the Christian community.