Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

I feel like this weekend really shows the importance of theatrical releases vs straight to streaming (not just for Pixar but in general) because it feels like Soul (which won two Oscars), Luca, and Turning Red have been really overlooked with all of the β€œPixar is back” articles. A lot of people watched them on Disney+, but they just feel a bit invisible, even compared to Lightyear and Elemental. A lot of these straight to streaming films just come and go.

Yep, that's exactly why I consider streaming the modern day "direct to video". Even if you get some genuinely good content on streaming, itΒ feels disposable. Most streaming stuff is cheap (not necessarily budget wise but quality wise) so the good stuff just gets lumped in with that and, more importantly, there was no experience attached to it. You didn't have to do anything but turn on your tv. Even if it's good, it doesn't end up being memorable because you didn't have to go out of your way to see it or have any kind of communal experience with itΒ 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

I feel like this weekend really shows the importance of theatrical releases vs straight to streaming (not just for Pixar but in general) because it feels like Soul (which won two Oscars), Luca, and Turning Red have been really overlooked with all of the β€œPixar is back” articles. A lot of people watched them on Disney+, but they just feel a bit invisible, even compared to Lightyear and Elemental. A lot of these straight to streaming films just come and go.

Β 

Because Lightyear and elemental came out after those movies, and a lot of supposed taste makers weren't high on Elemental. So the narrative was still "Pixar is slumping" for many.

Β 

Heck, even one unenthusiastic reception is enough for some to say they're slumping.

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Β 

As much as the whole culture has changed, I think it'd be worthwhile for studios and theaters to try to force moviegoing back into being an American tradition.

• Like 2

Going from Incredibles to Cars and then to Ratatouille was enough for people to say Ratatouille was a "return to form"

Β 

From a box office perspective this is a very decisive return to form

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

I remember the energy at my theatre for the Super Mario Bros opening weekend. All the families and birthday party groups, kids laughing everywhere... If you plop your kids down in front of the tv at home to watch it for the first time, chances are it's going to be way less fun and memorable for them, even if they enjoy the movie. What's fun and memorable about sitting at home and watching it (at least the first time)? It's the same thing kids do any other day.

Β 

Same goes for adults with something like Top Gun: Maverick. Put the exact same movie on streaming and I doubt everyone is talking about it like they were, anymore than "that new Top Gun movie on Paramount Plus was pretty good".

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Funny enough, not sure how many have been here long enough to remember, but the original "crumbling" meme came from the Inside Out OW thread 9ish years ago.Β 

Β 

For context: some pro-Marvel user was upset that JW opened higher than AoU and was convinced that it would collapse after its opening weekend and end up with a lower domestic total. In the Inside Out OW thread, they claimed that JW was "crumbing" and would finish below 450 domestic.Β 

Β 

So..... kind of fitting that people bring that meme back this weekend. Kind of a nice full-circle moment if you ask me.Β 

Was it BKB?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If inside out were coming out right after Turning Red, I don't think there would've been as much "Pixar has lost it" baggage attached. I'm sure they wish they could've led with this movie for their triumphant return to theaters.

• Like 3

I've missed a lot in the past few weeks....or months....but I'm glad IO2 is balling out. I remember getting a lot of shit (not here) for saying it could increase 50% over IO OW. Cheers to some big numbers!

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

I got overhyped but still $155M is massive. Gotta also give credit to the original movie on that one. And see? When a result is good I rightfully call it good, so we can end this "waaaaah you're just concern trolling" bullshit.

Β 

Also, vindication for when people bitched at me for saying an $85M OW would have sucked and seeing all the excuses people were making for how that somehow would have been good haha.Β 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I got overhyped but still $155M is massive. Gotta also give credit to the original movie on that one.Β 

Β 

Also, vindication for when people bitched at me for saying an $85M OW would have sucked and seeing all the excuses people were making for how that somehow would have been good haha.Β 

Β 

Shut the fuck up

• Heart 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I got overhyped but still $155M is massive. Gotta also give credit to the original movie on that one. And see? When a result is good I rightfully call it good, so we can end this "waaaaah you're just concern trolling" bullshit.

Β 

Β 

This is tremendously antagonistic. I rarely comment on the etiquette of other users here, but this is getting pretty unbearable. Reel it in, please.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Even here in rural Texas our Saturday afternoon show was probably about 70% full. Not sure I've ever seen that particular theater that full. Kiddos definitely enjoyed it and the film was a great trip out. First theatrical viewing of the year for us. Now to see if we can make it back before Thanksgiving or if Wicked/Moana 2 will be our next go around.Β 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Side note, it's nice to make 50 pages in a weekend thread and have it NOT be due to Fanboy wars and doom posting. Nice reprieve, the sites been hard to engage with of late temperature and attitude wise.Β 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:50 AM, Legion Again said:

Gonna have to give credit to @HummingLemon496Β on this one β€” no we weren’t. That would have sucked

Great minds think alike :)

Β 

I swear you're the only person on here who admits when bad numbers are bad instead of "no wait this bad number is actually really good because of X, Y, and Z." I appreciate the honesty and. . .(yes) lack of copium.Β 

Β 

leo-toast.gifΒ steve-amp-tony-finally-reuniting-in-the-

Β 

Ya know. . .I tried to tell people but was met with the most physically painful excuses possible. I couldn't be more glad that the numbers are speaking for themselves.Β 

Β 

And also, thanks for giving the Knock it Off reaction to the "shut the fuck up" guy haha

Edited by HummingLemon496

21 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Β 

please stop, at this point it’s getting genuinely ridiculous that you keep harping on this. Enough.

19 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah he fucked up with that $620M+ prediction, his updated his range is $550-585M

Β 

Β 

Still seems high, I think 500-530m, This is a sequel so there is more fanrush.