AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This would be a great strategy in 20-30 years ago, when most of the tickets were purchased over the counter. Imagine if you arrived at the theater just to find out the movie you want to watch is selling out, but let's say you don't want to waste your trip, more often than not you will just end up watching whatever the movie that is available there and then.

This used to be the approach how smaller movie counterprogram big giant blockbuster through spillover effect but this is no longer the case since people can easily get movie ticket online, aiming for exact movie they want, leaving the chance to discover something they would otherwise not watching to almost zero.

While it's true that the "spillover effect" may not be what it used to be, I think it does matter still to a certain extent, it's just moved online like ticketing has. Yes, you can plan ahead, but you can also be pickier about seating placement, and if you can't get a good seat for your first choice movie but still want to have a "night out" you might prefer to get tickets for better seats at a different one. Especially true if you're a large group, where a movie might not be technically "sold out" but you'd still have a hard time getting seats together in a good spot.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AniNate said:

Just to illustrate how little Apple's film ventures mean in the grand scheme of things, their stock price just hit an all-time high. I know on a box office forum people like to think big movie investments have dramatic impacts, but the reality is they really are a big enough company that they can afford to throw away $100 million on a mid romcom. Not to say they might be inclined to make that same decision again, of course.

Well, to be honest Apple TV is just a sideline for Apple. It is not of the items they depend on to bring in the big bucks.

Thay are like SONY in that they are primarily a electronics company; movies and tv are a sideline.

1 hour ago, KelsieWarner said:

Exciting weekend ahead! I'm curious to see how 'Longlegs' and 'To the Moon' perform at the box office. Predictions seem pretty solid, but there might be some surprises. What are you all expecting?

Uh a little late to the party?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There was the Copa America final which may very well have taken away a lot of the Latin audiences

Consequently this may also have been a reason why Twisters flubbed in LatAm in its opening frame. Euro and Wimbledon finals were also this past weekend, not an ideal time to release big movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Consequently this may also have been a reason why Twisters flubbed in LatAm in its opening frame. Euro and Wimbledon finals were also this past weekend, not an ideal time to release big movies.

Yep, yesterday was perhaps the busiest sports day of the year (globally speaking of course, but honestly with the Olympics I’m not even sure that’s true)

Posted (edited)

I think given just how big Deadpool is looking and that the opening ceremony is the same weekend as Deadpool, the impact may be offset by the spillover effect at least in North America. But anyway the strategy I'm sure for everything notable is to maintain interest through August, since the pickings are looking much slimmer there. The novelty of the Olympics tends to wear off by the second weekend if you're not a huge junkie about them.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)

Jason Bourne might be a good precedent to look at. It opened the week before Suicide Squad and the Olympics and had a 2.75 multiplier off its opening weekend. Twisters would need to open to around 70-75 mil to reach 200mil if it has similar legs. That was the PG-13 Suicide Squad though and word-of-mouth wasn't that good for Jason Bourne, so I'm still not certain if Deadpool will be quite the same situation.

Avengers Infinity War held 53% against Deadpool 2. I know... fourth weekend and double features but it did also manage another $80 million after that point. 

Edited by AniNate