kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

Speaking of "That guy" I saw a post that he made on the Reddit Box Office Thread before it disappeared that he was going to post his opening weekend projections for Deadpool and Wolverine, but instead was just going to let the industry see for itself how it was going to do. From what I remember of the tweet he said "expect some record-breaking numbers next weekend." 

He basically did the same thing with Inside Out 2 and for as much as EmpireCity is a condescending douchebag, he was accurate in predicting that Inside Out 2 did in fact become a record-breaking success. 

Of course, we won't know what Deadpool and Wolverine will do until next weekend and I know this is words coming out of someone who is not reliable when it comes to these kinds of things, but I just wanted to point it out in this thread. 

If he is somehow right again (though always takes what he says with a massive grain of salt) and Deadpool and Wolverine is headed for some record-breaking numbers, then we're gonna be in store for something that we haven't seen since Spider-Man: No Way Home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Speaking of "That guy" I saw a post that he made on the Reddit Box Office Thread before it disappeared that he was going to post his opening weekend projections for Deadpool and Wolverine, but instead was just going to let the industry see for itself how it was going to do. From what I remember of the tweet he said "expect some record-breaking numbers next weekend." 

He basically did the same thing with Inside Out 2 and for as much as EmpireCity is a condescending douchebag, he was accurate in predicting that Inside Out 2 did in fact become a record-breaking success. 

Of course, we won't know what Deadpool and Wolverine will do until next weekend and I know this is words coming out of someone who is not reliable when it comes to these kinds of things, but I just wanted to point it out in this thread. 

If he is somehow right again (though always takes what he says with a massive grain of salt) and Deadpool and Wolverine is headed for some record-breaking numbers, then we're gonna be in store for something that we haven't seen since Spider-Man: No Way Home.

I can see Deadpool and Wolverine opening $200+ million domestic, but the 2nd weekend drop might be more than 50-60%.

Edited by Migs20242

22 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

That's vague but I assume just means he expects 200M+ OW DOM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

12 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

I can see Deadpool and Wolverine opening near $200 million domestic, but the 2nd weekend drop might be more than 50-60%.

Well... Yeah. But, the weekday numbers before said drop should be outstanding. But it would be shocking if it didn't drop at least 50%. It will be frontloaded. All CBM with these kinda pre-sales are, no?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Thanks 1

Not the ideal comparison but it does look like Dead Reckoning will be the daily pattern Twisters follows at least for its first week. Will probably be at around $108-$110mil by Thursday.

A non-disastrous drop to $35 mil for the Deadpool weekend puts it at $145mil. A 4x multiplier off that weekend would get it to $250mil domestic. Advantage it does have over Dead Reckoning is much higher nominal opening, so theaters won't be so quick to drop it even if it does get wrecked next week. DR proceeded to lose over a thousand theaters the week after Barbenheimer and then 700 more the week after that, and I don't believe Twisters will meet a similar fate.

• Like 2

At the beginning of the year I had Twisters in my back pocket as a potential populist nominee for Best Picture. I know reviews aren't the best so it's not likely but man would I love if that actually happened, so that I can claim clairvoyance.

Picture

Cinematography

Film Editing

VFX
Sound

At the very least it should be good to go for the last two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Not the ideal comparison but it does look like Dead Reckoning will be the daily pattern Twisters follows at least for its first week. Will probably be at around $108-$110mil by Thursday.

A non-disastrous drop to $35 mil for the Deadpool weekend puts it at $145mil. A 4x multiplier off that weekend would get it to $250mil domestic. Advantage it does have over Dead Reckoning is much higher nominal opening, so theaters won't be so quick to drop it even if it does get wrecked next week. DR proceeded to lose over a thousand theaters the week after Barbenheimer and then 700 more the week after that, and I don't believe Twisters will meet a similar fate.

Biggest advantage is it's the #2 option and not the clearcut #3 option.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

At the beginning of the year I had Twisters in my back pocket as a potential populist nominee for Best Picture. I know reviews aren't the best so it's not likely but man would I love if that actually happened, so that I can claim clairvoyance.

Picture

Cinematography

Film Editing

VFX
Sound

At the very least it should be good to go for the last two.

Oh, man. I enjoyed it but was extremely letdown by the sound design and sound in general. VFX as well but not like sound. The other 3 would be shocking, especially BP. It's a winning movie with a big heart for sure. That's what I liked... It didn't need to have incredible sound/vfx to ne impressive overall. 

They could've had so much more fun with the sound and VFX though. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think it will be at $116m-$120m by THU. MI7 weekdays were weak as Barbenheimer was sucking the air out of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I think it will be at $116m-$120m by THU. MI7 weekdays were weak as Barbenheimer was sucking the air out of it.

Difference between Twisters and Dead Reckoning was that Barbenheimer was 2 massive movies that came out on the SAME day, so MI was always doomed to collapse. Twisters is facing only one big move and the R rating will limit its audience as well.

There will also be lots of spillover business when Deadpool showtimes sell out, so Twisters could benefit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Awesome DOM OW for Twisters. Seems like a surprising number for it. 👍🏻 🌪️

Also on a minor side note, Simba has taken down Katniss Everdeen! With TLK (1994)’s $424.7M DOM lifetime gross over Hunger Games: Catching Fire’s $424.6M. 🦁

Still crazy that the 2011 re-release made nearly $100m DOM 

• Like 1

Really wish I had stuck to my guns on Twisters being a Walkup monster /Late Bloomer. I let the trackers and the eh presales reports influence me. Shawn and BO Pro both  stuck with it and they were right.  So great to see it happen. It feels like the rest of the year should be really good and we can be out of the doom and gloom theatrical is dead or dying thing for a while.