Eric the Marxist

Spoilers | Deadpool & Wolverine (2024) Spoiler Thread

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

I enjoyed the first two Deadpools thoroughly and I'm usually an easy mark for self-aware metatextual comedy, so I was pretty surprised that I ended up sitting stone-faced through most of the running time. I'm glad it's evidently connecting with audiences (and my crowd seemed to have a good time with it based on the reactions), but I felt like it was a warmed-over effort to wed the previous films' subversive style with the MCU's M.O., and in the process, the humor feels less effective (and repeated so many times that it feels less effective as the run time advances) and it never feels like they get the balance of R-rated gore and humor with hidden charm in the characters and their emotional arcs that the previous two films nailed so well.

It was a C for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Loki is one of the best series of this decade, never mind one of the best entries of the MCU. If there is one MCU series to watch, that’s Loki. It’s this century’s equivalent to Back to the Future, incredibly symmetrical and beautiful storytelling exploring the MCU as canvas to explore some deep and heavy themes. 

Also Jessica Clemons at New Rockstars just released a video about what I was talking about, the relation of Deadpool, Thor crying and Loki.

It’s one of my favorite moments in D&W for what it means to the future of the MCU. I really love the idea of Loki understanding Deadpool and using him to help his brother, at same time helping Deadpool to achieve his high purpose. In a film that it’s all about what matter and what doesn’t, Wade’s arc, Loki’s and Thor’s is bound to cross paths. 

Just watched what I think it’s a companion video to this one and it’s wild how me and the New Rockstars crew seem to be on the same page when it comes to theorizing the importance of Deadpool - and maybe this version of Wolverine - moving forward into the MCU and its ‘sacred timeline’. A mixture of Lokiand Kang being the ones responsible to bringing Deadpool and maybe this Wolverine into the fold makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe with Kang being responsible to what it lead them to tragedy and Loki being the one that gives them a new lease in life, once again playing with the themes of the Loki series. 

Also, I really like Jessica’s theory of how the humans killed the X-Men. Imagine a version of that world that the FOH’s and Bastioj succeeded at their plans and there you go. 

Lovely interview with Laura aka X-23 aka Wolverine. If the rumors of Marvel angling Shawn Levy to direct Young Avengers are correct, maybe if he brings his Stranger Things with him it might be a slam dunk. The Young Avengers having an Wolverine before the Avengers in the MCU sounds fun.

So this was hilarious and also horrible? This is probably marvels most forced, weakest villain ever and that's saying something.