Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

3 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Haven’t thought about it much yet, don’t usually care much about 4th weekdays or whatever. Low 3s I guess

Inside Out 2 did $3,810,347 on 4th Monday, which had $537,948,505 overall.

I'm sure Deadpool and Wolverine will have much weaker weekdays now that summer is wrapping up, but with still practically no  big R-rated competition until Joker 2 in October (unless you count Speak No Evil?), $650M is back on the table and more possible now compared to last week. 

It shows how strong word-of-mouth is on this movie. The fact that it only fell 44% despite losing all of its remaining PLFs to Alien: Romulus is a great example of this word-of-mouth that'll carry the film for much longer than just a few weeks. 

Inside Out 2 is still probably gonna be the #1 movie of the summer (and 2024) but it doesn't diminish what is still an absolutely incredible run for a movie that wasn't even guaranteed to be as big of a hit as it is now. 

Like I said before, we all thought Despicable Me 4 would be the biggest and the only guarantee hit movie of the summer, but I'm sure we're all happy that we were proven wrong as it means that we got two $1B+ grossers for this year. 

34 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Disney at least made a smart decision and cancelled The Acolyte. Apparently, it had the lowest finale viewership of any Star Wars streaming show.

live action star wars streaming show. But yeah, wouldn't that have been priced into the show's opening? Even ignoring quality debates, across both star wars and marvel there's a real distinction between major and minor IP adaptations. This was perceived as not major and it was against Ahsoka and Andor, the latter of which clearly grew audience in season and out of season. 

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I think if they release Spider-Man 4 on Dec 18, 2026 it can make $600M+ DOM especially if they are smart and tie it into Doomsday/SW

What is Sony doing about the live action Spiderverse/villainverse? I really think the post Endgame agreement gave them some ability to increase crossovers. If they're still invested in that it could be a sticking point in how exactly they position it relative to Doomsday/SW

Do we know what's going on with the PLFs on Labor Day weekend? I'm wondering what IMAX is going to be mandating, if anything. Beyond the 4DX event for Twisters it's kind of up in the air.

3 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Already said this in another thread but if Deadpool & Wolverine got Mufasa's date it probably would've entered the top 5 of all time domestic, beating out Top Gun: Maverick's $718.73M. But I guess you can use this "this blockbuster would've made more in December" logic for basically any movie. 

I think if they release Spider-Man 4 on Dec 18, 2026 it can make $600M+ DOM especially if they are smart and tie it into Doomsday/SW

Wondering if it'll be the live action Spider-Man that year or if Spiderverse manages to come out. I'm unsure on the production on both of those for various reasons. 

Edited by wattage
Typo

6 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Disney at least made a smart decision and cancelled The Acolyte. Apparently, it had the lowest finale viewership of any Star Wars streaming show.

No surprise there

OW: 6th biggest

2nd wknd: 8th

3rd: 12th

4th: 11th biggest (removing Sniper and Revenant nonsense)

5th weekend real 11th place would be 20M, has some chance to rise back up to 9th (requires beating Barbie’s 21.03M).  

6th weekend could very well rise back up to 6th biggest (and biggest for MCU for the 1st time) requiring 17.1 to beat BP   

7th weekend the party will be over as it drops out of top 20 (albeit with a chance to land around IO2/TDK/TA/CM zone for top 25)

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

@NGGKroze or u/NGGKroze from Reddit was completely correct when he made this comment in reference to Deadpool & Wolverine beating $643 million domestically

Do you just spend your afternoons browsing Reddit accounts?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Do you just spend your afternoons browsing Reddit accounts?

No, I specifically remember this one thread like two months ago when I saw it I thought "No way it makes $643M+ DOM" but now it might actually happen so I went back to it

Edited by HummingLemon496