iceroll

Which new fall shows are you anticipating the most? (NBC and CBS)

Which new TV shows are you anticipating the most next season? (NBC and CBS)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. From NBC:

• 1600 Penn
    • Animal Practice
    • Chicago Fire
    • Crossbones
    • Do No Harm
    • Go On
    • Guys With Kids
    • Infamous
    • Next Caller
    • The New Normal
    • Revolution
    • Save Me
    • Nothing from NBC
  2. 2. From CBS:

• Elementary
    • Friend Me
    • Golden Boy
    • The Job
    • Made in Jersey
    • Partners
    • Vegas
    • Nothing from CBS

• Community Manager

Well isn't CBS's audience really old skewing? Maybe they won't click with the show. I think Partners is like the first CBS show to have such a prominent gay character.

It's number two in the demo. That's more young-skewing than ABC/CW/NBC.

It comes in number two, but that doesn't mean it's young-skewing. Look at last season's data: http://tvbythenumber...27-2012/136000/

Here are the stats:

18-49 Rating

FOX: 3.2

CBS: 2.9

NBC: 2.5

ABC: 2.4

CW: 0.8

Total Viewers (18-49 rating as a % of total viewers)

CBS: 11.64m (24.9%)

FOX: 8.89m (43.87%)

ABC: 8.37m (28.7%)

NBC: 7.34m (34.1%)

CW: 1.7m (47.1%)

And this season CBS had the Superbowl too, so that definitely skewed the 18-49 rating up by a few decimal points. There's no doubt that the majority of CBS viewers are 50+, some of their shows even get 80-90% of the audience being 50+. It's the oldest skewing broadcast channel by far.

Edited by iceroll

• Community Manager

Yeah, it's audience skews old, but that's not telling the whole picture. That gives the impression that young people don't watch CBS, when they indeed do. A lot of them do and that's who CBS cares about, just like any other network.

• Community Manager

Skew mathematically means a bias towards something. CBS's audience is the opposite of young-skewing, which is the point I was making.

Young Viewers: (average, based on demo: http://tvbythenumber...edition/147028/)ABC: 3.03 millionCBS: 3.66 millionCW: 1.01 millionFOX: 4.04 millionNBC: 3.16 millionPercentage:ABC: 36.20%CBS: 27.49%CW: 59.41%FOX: 45.44%NBC: 43.05%So, yes. CBS does skew older but simply because it just gets a bigger audience overall (Only network with over 10 million average). But this has given people the wrong impression, that only old people watch CBS and therefore they don't care about the demo. Their biggest shows (NCIS, Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, 2 Broke Girls, How I Met Your Mother) are all doing just as well in the demo as FOX's hits do-some even better. They have the number one drama in the demo, not just viewers. The FOX Chief recently stated that CBS is going to win in the young demo because FOX no longer has American Idol be such a juggernaut. I think I misspoke when I said "more young-skewing", but there should be no reason to think that CBS is just for old farts when it's attracting the second biggest young audience total.

And this season CBS had the Superbowl too, so that definitely skewed the 18-49 rating up by a few decimal points.

Actually the Superbowl was on NBC, and only reason it beat ABC. One of the reasons CBS is expected to win this season is because it has the Superbowl:http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/16/easy-guess-cbs-to-win-adults-18-49-ratings-crown-in-2012-13-for-the-first-time-in-20-years/134534/ Edited by Water Bottle

The highly anticipated premiere of Revolution garnered a huge 4.1 18-49 rating, making it the highest rated drama debut in three years (since ABC's V, 5.2) and the highest rated NBC drama debut in 5 years (Bionic Woman, 5.7). It was up 39% from a 2.5 for last week's preview of The New Normal in the time period and up a whopping 156% from the premiere of the shortlived The Playboy Club last season (1.6.). It is also up 8% from the premiere of Smash on February 6, 2012, which also hadThe Voice as a lead-in.

A lot of people were also anticipating Revolution it seems.

• Community Manager

Why? Did you not like it? You want it to fail? I haven't seen it yet, so no opinions now.

I want it to succeed. The pilot does leave a lot to be desired. I predict it will fall because reception to the show hasnt been good. It's rare to read comments on sites that are positive.