Moviedweeb

Favorite Box Office Runs

THG was fun to watch, huge explosive opening followed by truly unexpected legs, but the most fun I has watching a boxoffice run was when I was tracking The Help in comparison to Bridesmaids. The way their runs ran so closely from their opening weekend then just about exactly matched week to week for their entire runs was unreal. Their opening weekends were only 200k apart and they stayed amazingly close week to week with both finishing over 169 mil and less than 600k apart and both had better than 6x multipliers from opening weekend. Never seen 2 movies in the same year have such nearly identical runs, especially movies with such large grosses.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding's run is equally mind-boggling without the adjustments. I remember seeing the film stick around in my town for two entire months after it first opened in early June and thinking it was extremely odd (it was originally scheduled to play for one week), and then it cracked the top ten, started climbing, and stayed there until late November. It would finally close in my town in February of the following year - probably due in part to the fact that it had just been released on VHS & DVD. I was left speechless to see the movie not only outlast, but also outgross some of the year's big movies.

I think my favorite was Avatar because it just kept going and going and going and going. And this was after it somewhat disappointed on OW and some overzealous bloggers were LOLing at James Cameron.http://perezhilton.com/2009-12-21-avatar-has-a-disappointing-opening-weekend/While others looked at the bigger picture http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Avatar-s-Opening-Weekend-Box-Office-Doesn-t-Matter-16239.html

• Like 2