CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Sk frozen admission (Thu)

Daily: 55,405

Tot: 9.23m

Considering the daily average this week was around 75-80k it's a bit of a drop. new releases "pompei", "american hustle" and "jjirashi" are impacting admission numbers. 

Frozen should reclaim number one spot over the weekend though.

• Like 1

Our new acapella cover of Let It Go from Disney's Frozen is here! We filmed this in the middle of the Australian summer on some salt pans. The video isn't as good as we wanted, but its more about the music! It would mean so much to us if you could share the video around on other forums/social networking sites, and you can also upvote us on Reddit here. Feedback is very welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAEE6PkgGpA

• Like 1

SK friday box office Frozen daily admissions: 65,487Total admission: 9.3mTotal gross $69.58mNumbers up by around 10k from yesterday. Presales are #1 for the weekend. I think 200k on sat and another 200k on sunday will set things up nicely for 10m admissions :)

• Like 1

SK friday box office

Frozen daily admissions: 65,487

Total admission: 9.3m

Total gross $69.58m

Numbers up by around 10k from yesterday. Presales are #1 for the weekend. I think 200k on sat and another 200k on sunday will set things up nicely for 10m admissions :)

Posted Image

• Like 1

By the following Sunday, sure. Can hold and do 11m is the question. Still very possible.

Nonstop, 12 years a slave and monuments men releasing next week, added to the 3 new releases this week makes that unlikely :( as much as I'd like it to happen. Edited by Rsyu

All 3in a completly different demographic. Shouldn't affect it.

Well I'm not sure about monuments men or 12 years a slave but non stop at least is expected to do well. Also a key part of frozen's success here in SK is based on how well it's doing among adults not just among movie going family size units. that part of the demography will be hit quite hard. Pompei, american hustle and jjirashi(local) aren't really frozen's demographic either but they hit admission numbers noticeably this past couple of days

Yea predicting 100m minimum for a Hollywood movie in Japan is just crazy.

100m for a non pixar movie in japan is optimistic to say the least. I'd say anything close to MU numbers in japan would be a huge success! I expect it to do better than SK if possible though  :D

Edited by Rsyu

Yea predicting 100m minimum for a Hollywood movie in Japan is just crazy.

Well what's your number then? Easy to go around and talk trash. Sounds knowledgable. Give me a number and see who is closer. My prediction is based on a set of statistical facts. Whats "crazy" based on? Edited by mfantin65

Well what's your number then? Easy to go around and talk trash. Sounds knowledgable. Give me a number and see who is closer. My prediction is based on a set of statistical facts. Whats "crazy" based on?

What statistical facts?

What's your prediction?

Japanese grosses are so unpredictable for original films that I prefer not to even try, keeping in mind that often go in a completely different direction than the entire rest of the world or even past Japanese precedent. If I really had to guess I'd say 55M, but there is basically no gross that would truly surprise me.

Japanese grosses are so unpredictable for original films that I prefer not to even try, keeping in mind that often go in a completely different direction than the entire rest of the world or even past Japanese precedent. If I really had to guess I'd say 55M, but there is basically no gross that would truly surprise me.

55m is your prediction then. Very well.No gross will surprise you but 100 is crazy. Using statistics and trends you can predict, albeit uncanny at times. To not try as you say gets you nothing.I predicted 50m for china and most thought that was impossible. Its happeningTesla going to 200 is crazy, but i predicted it. Thats my job. Edited by mfantin65

55m is your prediction then. Very well.No gross will surprise you but 100 is crazy.Using statistics and trends you can predict, albeit uncanny at times. To not try as you say gets you nothing.Tesla going to 200 is crazy, but i predicted it. Thats my job.

I never said 100M is crazy, I basically said the opposite, and that almost no Japanese grosses surprise me any more. If Frozen made either 20M or 130M in the UK I would be shocked, but in Japan I could see either happen.

And you still haven't mentioned what any of those facts or statistics are.

Edited by Tower

What do u think Lego does DOM?

I never said 100M is crazy, I basically said the opposite, and that almost no Japanese grosses surprise me any more. If Frozen made either 20M or 130M in the UK I would be shocked, but in Japan I could see either happen. And you still haven't mentioned what any of those facts or statistics are.

Confused posts. My badPast and current data and trends.

Facts

Japanese box office for recent WDAS releases

Tangled: $31M

WiR: $29M

princess and the frog: $4M

winnie the pooh: $4M

For a country with a film-going population as big as Japan those numbers aren't really a good performance. Pixar is way more popular than disney there. MU grossed $90M finding nemo did $102M and even cars 2 managed $38M

So going on past facts, 100M for frozen is a bit optimistic. I'm not saying that it won't happen (before frozen disney was really unpopular in SK too and just look what happened) but it isn't what you'd call a lockThere's no way of knowing to what extent frozen will break out in the Japanese market. 

How did you come up with 100m anyway?

Edited by Rsyu

Japan has a huge range. I'd probably put the lower bound at about 45 million, equal to what it's likely to earn in China. The upper bound is probably 130 million, on par with Toy Story 3. It probably needs about 60 million to get to 1.1 billion WW. But that's actually in line with other territories, at double Tangled/WiR.

• Like 1