CJohn

Frozen OS thread

I agree on the Hobbit.

Transformers I think will crack 1b only because of expanding international markets and so many Asian countries love any big budget movie about robots. Hopefully there will be enough of a domestic decrease to prevent this one from getting into the top 10 though.

Mockingjay pt. 1 is doubtful for me. The foreign haul will definitely increase and there is a quite a lot of goodwill built up from the first two films but I think Lion's Gate may have hurt their chances of a billion dollar movie when they opted to split this one up especially since the book is easily the weakest in the trilogy. WOM from part 1 may hurt Part 2's chances but probably not enough to stop that one from crossing the billion dollar threshold in 2015.

Intersteller has a outside shot too but it could just as easily gross half that imo and WOM will be a huge factor.

Also, X-Men: DoFP is an interesting wildcard. If it gets an Avengers type bump (which is possible given the huge cast tie-ins and multi-faceted nature of this sequel/prequel) then it should at least contend for the spot of number 1 superhero movie of the year which may be enough to push it over 1 Billion if all of the overseas markets also over-perform (although it will still probably fall a little short). Remember the highest grossing pre-Avengers tie-in Movie was Iron Man 2 which only hit $623m so the bump to over 1.5 billion was about 143%. A similar increase from X-Men: First Class would yield a worldwide haul in the $860m range. Of course it remains to be seen if this assemblage of X-men Franchises will even be treated with the same type of event status that The Avengers was.

Ultimately, I hope that none of these movies come close to passing Frozen because I don't see any of them being nearly as good although X-Men has the potential to be pretty solid. If Transformers passes it I will be especially disappointed   :bash:

How dear you!

I would be sad if the Hobbit doesn’t pass Frozen.

Frozen is better than all the other movie, accept The Hobbit. (Sorry but I am kind of Lord Of The Rings freak) :P

How dear you!

I would be sad if the Hobbit doesn’t pass Frozen.

Frozen is better than all the other movie, accept The Hobbit. (Sorry but I am kind of Lord Of The Rings freak) :P

The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers are quite possibly my favorite movies of all time and in addition to the LOTR trilogy I have read the Hobbit and The Silmarilion at least twice so I'm a huge tolkien freak too but I have to say I have been quite disappointed with this Hobbit trilogy especially since it is my favorite book in the series. Unless There and Back Again goes back to the way the LOTR movies were I will not be rooting for it to pass Frozen. I'll still see it at midnight pretty much no matter what but I will be sad if it sucks which I think is probably a forgone conclusion at this point  :(

I think it will be quite some time before another animated movie outearns Frozen WW. Finding Dory is probably the only forthcoming release that looks like it could do so, but even there it seems a tall order. It's not even assured of $1B WW.

TF4 stands the best chance of hitting $1b this year. Hobbit TABA could do it, but I'm not sure it's going to see a large rise above Smaug. HTTYD3 and Mockingjay 1 are both pretty fringy.

I don't think any film before Avengers 2 will outgross Frozen. 

• Like 1

The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers are quite possibly my favorite movies of all time and in addition to the LOTR trilogy I have read the Hobbit and The Silmarilion at least twice so I'm a huge tolkien freak too but I have to say I have been quite disappointed with this Hobbit trilogy especially since it is my favorite book in the series. Unless There and Back Again goes back to the way the LOTR movies were I will not be rooting for it to pass Frozen. I'll still see it at midnight pretty much no matter what but I will be sad if it sucks which I think is probably a forgone conclusion at this point  :(

To be honest I realy liked the fire Hobbit an unexpected journey, DoS was to action crowded and over exstanded. So I hope the next one will have the same feeling like The Fellow Ship of The Ring (best of the LOTR, than ROTK, TTT in my opinion.) I hope Peter will show us his real qualities again (character development and nice action scene’s when the movie needs it, not the whole time….), because last Hobbit movie I saw 3 time: 2D, 3D, IMAX. Btw I have red the books too and I didn’t like the Hobbit as a book, not as impressive as the LOTR. But that just my opinion. :P

To be honest I realy liked the fire Hobbit an unexpected journey, DoS was to action crowded and over exstanded. So I hope the next one will have the same feeling like The Fellow Ship of The Ring (best of the LOTR, than ROTK, TTT in my opinion.) I hope Peter will show us his real qualities again (character development and nice action scene’s when the movie needs it, not the whole time….), because last Hobbit movie I saw 3 time: 2D, 3D, IMAX. Btw I have red the books too and I didn’t like the Hobbit as a book, not as impressive as the LOTR. But that just my opinion. :P

I hope Jackson can get it together too but neither of these first two movies resonated with me much at all. Like you said the action was way over the top and the movie felt cartoony at points due to the excessive overuse of CGI. Imo films have been boated to this point because the little 300 page book clearly didn't have enough material to fill 3 quality movies but maybe they can still salvage this last one. The gritty realistic style of LOTR is also missing and I fear that trend will continue. As a diehard Rings fan it is somewhat sad to say but I would much rather re-watch Frozen (for me the 8th time) than see either AUJ or DoS ever again. Here's hoping the finale is vastly improved but there is still almost no way it'll beat this imo.

Titanic

Frozen

Jurassic Park

Alice in Wonderland

Lion King

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Finding Nemo

The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring

Inception

I think you missed a few  :P

I did miss the original Harry Potter and LOTR. Both franchises have so many movies now I tend to forget there was an original movie to start their franchises. B)

I think it will be quite some time before another animated movie outearns Frozen WW. Finding Dory is probably the only forthcoming release that looks like it could do so, but even there it seems a tall order. It's not even assured of $1B WW. TF4 stands the best chance of hitting $1b this year. Hobbit TABA could do it, but I'm not sure it's going to see a large rise above Smaug. HTTYD3 and Mockingjay 1 are both pretty fringy. I don't think any film before Avengers 2 will outgross Frozen.

Finding Nemo numbers are inflated by 3D re-release. I don't think Dory will reach1b. Toy Story should be comes to the end. The only animated franchise that have a possible good developement is Desplicable Me with Minions spin off or a new story based on Gru family. If there are no surprises, Frozen can be beaten only by Frozen 2.

Frozen itself wasn't very foreseeable until its release though.

The success might not have been foreseeable but it was getting made at least so there was some chance for it. TS4 isn't even scheduled to be made yet and there's no guarantee that it ever will be so idk how an argument can be made for it. 

Oh, nice list, Henry I. I hope we get the chance to fill it out further. I believe it's the highest grossing animated film in history in Denmark, for instance, though I don't know what the admissions are like. And it seemed like the Australian performance was quite impressive relative to population.

• Like 1

From the Australian box office thread, someone said the average ticket price is about $12.20, which would give Frozen about 2,545,750 admissions. The country's population is estimated at 23,435,007. So that'd be a ratio of 10.86%.

For Denmark, assuming the exchange rate hasn't changed drastically in the past four months since it was released, the average ticket price of 90 kr is about $16.61. That would account for about 467,650 admissions. It's population is estimated at 5,627,235, so the ratio is 8.31%

For the UK (plus Ireland and Malta), the average ticket price is 8 pounds, or about $13.33 for 4,847,150 admissions. The population is estimated at 68,745,767 for 7.05%.

However, this is a really rough calculation on my part. I can't claim any expertise on the markets in any of these countries. The UK could be really suspect, since there's three countries (sort of) and two currencies involved.

• Like 1

From the Australian box office thread, someone said the average ticket price is about $12.20, which would give Frozen about 2,545,750 admissions. The country's population is estimated at 23,435,007. So that'd be a ratio of 10.86%. For Denmark, assuming the exchange rate hasn't changed drastically in the past four months since it was released, the average ticket price of 90 kr is about $16.61. That would account for about 467,650 admissions. It's population is estimated at 5,627,235, so the ratio is 8.31% For the UK (plus Ireland and Malta), the average ticket price is 8 pounds, or about $13.33 for 4,847,150 admissions. The population is estimated at 68,745,767 for 7.05%. However, this is a really rough calculation on my part. I can't claim any expertise on the markets in any of these countries. The UK could be really suspect, since there's three countries (sort of) and two currencies involved.

As I understand it UK consists of England, wales, scotland and northern island. Republic of island is recognized as a seprate country. Also the pound is the only currency. Wiki has UK population at around 63million

As I understand it UK consists of England, wales, scotland and northern island. Republic of island is recognized as a seprate country. Also the pound is the only currency. Wiki has UK population at around 63million

Yes, but the market counted on BOM is the UK, Ireland, and Malta. Just like the Domestic market is the US and Canada. Or New Zealand is really New Zealand and Fiji.

Yes, but the market counted on BOM is the UK, Ireland, and Malta. Just like the Domestic market is the US and Canada. Or New Zealand is really New Zealand and Fiji.

Cool I didn't know that but I guess it makes sense since the film markets in the other two would be pretty small.

Japan vs South Korea

Weekend (3-days vs 2-days)
  South Korea   Japan   Diff %

Week 1  $ 7.622.257 $7.531.463  - 1,19%
Week 2  $ 9.061.559 $8.530.751  - 5,86%
Week 3  $12.829.792 $8.569.604  -33,21%
Week 4  $ 8.926.334
Week 5  $ 5.817.992
Week 6  $ 2.894.684
Week 7  $ 1.741.385
Week 8  $ 747.960
Week 9  $ 296.489