48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm sorry but that's just not what I've heard from most comic fans.Go and listen to Mark Kermode's podcast (if you don't already) from I think one or two weeks ago, there's one very specific example on there of a hardcore Dredd fan who hated the Stallone movie and loved the new one.Then also go back and read about the fan reception at comic con.Next I'm going to link you the 2000ad forums here:http://forums.2000ad...ic,34200.0.htmlI'm sorry but you're just flat out not representative of other Dredd comic fans when you say it isn't a good adaptation.....In any case that's entirely not the point I was trying to make, but whatever.

There's only one solution to your dilemma....I'm smarter than those other comic book fans. :)

And what about John Wagner?

I guess I'm smarter than him too. More fan reactions similar to mine:Etrigan:'Please stop repeating this ‘dark and gritty’ canard. Did you actually read any 2000AD comics? Dredd was not successful because it was dark and gritty. It was successful because the comic had a tongue-in-cheek British humor to it. Dredd was actually a caricature of an over-zealous cop. He would sentence a kid to jail for spitting gum on the sidewalk. And his refusal to remove his helmet- even in the shower- was a jab at how officious he was. Of course, if you didn’t grow up reading the comics- like most Hollywood writers- you wouldn’t realize this, and would see only the superficial stuff- the megacity, the guns, etc. Seeing that the Hollywood geniuses have changed Dredd’s costume doesn’t inspire confidence that they get what the character is about. Once those morons try to ‘improve’ on something already successful the results are never good.'

I guess I'm smarter than him too. More fan reactions similar to mine:Etrigan:'Please stop repeating this ‘dark and gritty’ canard. Did you actually read any 2000AD comics? Dredd was not successful because it was dark and gritty. It was successful because the comic had a tongue-in-cheek British humor to it. Dredd was actually a caricature of an over-zealous cop. He would sentence a kid to jail for spitting gum on the sidewalk. And his refusal to remove his helmet- even in the shower- was a jab at how officious he was. Of course, if you didn’t grow up reading the comics- like most Hollywood writers- you wouldn’t realize this, and would see only the superficial stuff- the megacity, the guns, etc. Seeing that the Hollywood geniuses have changed Dredd’s costume doesn’t inspire confidence that they get what the character is about. Once those morons try to ‘improve’ on something already successful the results are never good.'

Then you are a troll. If you claim yourself superior to one the creators of Dredd, then you should refrain from calling yourself a fan.

Then you are a troll. If you claim yourself superior to one the creators of Dredd, then you should refrain from calling yourself a fan.

Just like the movie I think you're taking things a bit too seriously. And I find your use of the word 'troll' amusing. Since for most people (and apparently you) a 'troll' is just someone that disagrees with them.My point the entire time has been that not all of the fans of the comic like the movie. It's been suggested that they all do.And Shpongle? Thanks for the complement. I'd be WORRIED if you found any value in anything I say. You REALLY seemed to like Prometheus for some reason (that's why you had me on ignore...I guess you got tired of being wrong) and that movie was TERRIBLE. So from my point of view your taste in films is very questionable. Go back to bed Sunshine (Or is it Cupcake? I forget).

Just like the movie I think you're taking things a bit too seriously. And I find your use of the word 'troll' amusing. Since for most people (and apparently you) a 'troll' is just someone that disagrees with them.My point the entire time has been that not all of the fans of the comic like the movie. It's been suggested that they all do.And Shpongle? Thanks for the complement. I'd be WORRIED if you found any value in anything I say. You REALLY seemed to like Prometheus for some reason (that's why you had me on ignore...I guess you got tired of being wrong) and that movie was TERRIBLE. So from my point of view your taste in films is very questionable. Go back to bed Sunshine (Or is it Cupcake? I forget).

So why claim yourself smarter than the creator of the comics? Why would a so called fan do that?

So why claim yourself smarter than the creator of the comics? Why would a so called fan do that?

It's called a joke.But I'm allowed to disagree with the creator about what the essence of his character is. For one thing even in the early years before he went on his 35 year run many people had their hands in Dredd. It's not just Wagner.And anyone who is honest with themselves about the character would realize it's not all about the ultra violence...Walter the Wobot...Otto Sump...Umpty Candy...all very silly stuff.Comic book movies are often so desperate to be taken seriously that they remove a lot of what made the comics fun in the first place. All in the sake of 'it would be too hard to pull off with live action'. If it's so hard make your own violent future cop that can star in your movie. Leave Dredd alone.Maybe I should state this again....I'm not saying Dredd is a horrible movie. It just came off to me as a random future cop movie with very little Dredd in it. That is all. Edited by Adm56

Don't hate on Shpongle please! :PAlso Prometheus was a good film so there!

Although for balance I should say that I don't see anything about your posts that would make me go so far as to put you on ignore. The only problems I have with your posts are that I seem to disagree with you heavily on at least two films that I really liked. I also don't like that you made as if Dredd was a bad adaptation when you would have found with a little research that most fans of the comic disagree with you.

Just out of interest what are some of your favourite films? I want to see if we disagree so heavily on everything. (This probably isn't the place for this discussion but...meh).

Here are a sprinkling of my favourites:

[*]Blade Runner

[*]Collateral

[*]The Shawshank Redemption

[*]Gladiator

[*]Eternal Sunshine...

[*]No Country for Old Men

[*]LotR triology

Although for balance I should say that I don't see anything about your posts that would make me go so far as to put you on ignore. The only problems I have with your posts are that I seem to disagree with you heavily on at least two films that I really liked. I also don't like that you made as if Dredd was a bad adaptation when you would have found with a little research that most fans of the comic disagree with you.

Just out of interest what are some of your favourite films? I want to see if we disagree so heavily on everything. (This probably isn't the place for this discussion but...meh).

[*]Blade Runner

[*]Collateral

[*]Gladiator

[*]Eternal Sunshine...

[*]LotR triology

Dredd was a bad adaption TO ME. I don't think I implied that everyone agreed with me. :)

I don't really think of movies as being part of a personal top ten list or anything. But from your list I like Blade Runner (much more visually interesting that Dredd :) ) and REALLY like Shawshank and No Country for Old Men. I appreciate the LOTR movies but I don't watch them often due to the time investment involved. I also like most of Alex Garlands work...I just think he missed the point with Dredd.

Gladiator I didn't really like. I think the action sequences would have been much better if they were given room to breathe a bit. Too much shakey cam from a foot away from the actors IMO.

Recent movies I enjoyed include the Avengers (No Citizen Kane but it was FUN) Cabin in the Woods (also not perfect but FUN). Hopefully Looper will be good. I also like long walks on the beach and Breaking Bad.

But don't mind me....I even like Jane Austen films. Sense and Sensibility is really good. Although it may not be gritty and violent enough for audiences today. :)

• Like 1

Dredd was a bad adaption TO ME. I don't think I implied that everyone agreed with me. :)I don't really think of movies as being part of a personal top ten list or anything. But from your list I like Blade Runner (much more visually interesting that Dredd :) ) and REALLY like Shawshank and No Country for Old Men. I appreciate the LOTR movies but I don't watch them often due to the time investment involved. I also like most of Alex Garlands work...I just think he missed the point with Dredd.Gladiator I didn't really like. I think the action sequences would have been much better if they were given room to breathe a bit. Too much shakey cam from a foot away from the actors IMO.Recent movies I enjoyed include the Avengers (No Citizen Kane but it was FUN) Cabin in the Woods (also not perfect but FUN). Hopefully Looper will be good. I also like long walks on the beach and Breaking Bad.But don't mind me....I even like Jane Austen films. Sense and Sensibility is really good. Although it may not be gritty and violent enough for audiences today. :)

Gladiator had one over me on me before I even watched it since I have a degree in Ancient History and love the Roman Empire. Also I love Russell Crowe & Joaquin Phoenix in that film.I don't like 'lists' either, but I do have a bunch of films that I think of whenever I'm asked what my favourites are.I loved the Avengers but agree it's no masterpiece. I like to think I'm pretty open minded about what films I watch, although I haven't seen any Jane Austen films. I did however see Anna Karenina at the weekend, and it was pretty good!I really need to see Cabin in the Woods, and I'm also hoping to see Looper.No beaches within easy distance of me, although I do like walking on them when I can. :P

[*]Blade Runner

[*]Collateral

[*]Gladiator

[*]Eternal Sunshine...

[*]LotR triology

Excellent list, though only Gladiator, Shawhank, and Bladerunner are in my top 10. :P