A Marvel Fanboy

The A List

Julia Roberts ?A List ?In 2012 ?That s a good one.I ll add that there is another factor about a list is how well you do overseas and I am telling you, a lot of actors are disqualified if you take the overseas factor into accountOut :Sandra Bullock is a major star only in the USa, The BlinD Side was not even released in theaters in France.Same for Adam Sandler, he is a nobody outside of USA.The only A list superstar as far as actresses go is Angelina Jolie but you know why, it has almost nothing to do with her job as an actress.Worldwide, I would say the most popular actor in the world is Will Smith, he can open a movie, globally, which very few actors can.Anyway, this discussion is a bit complicated since everybody has a slightly different definition of A List.

I agree about DDL and especially Meryl Streep I mean not only is she insanely sought out for ( at her age at that ) but she has had consistent BO success ... she is actually the most consistently lucrative actress in the last 10 years I would say No blockbusters nor action roles ( duh ) but a lot of films with strong success Jennifer Lawrence being called A- list is ridiculous ... Emma Stone too but if she keeps picking roles like she has she'll be there Witherspoon has fallen off lately but she was on an insane hot streak that she is now still considered A-list even though she hasn't had much success last few years As for the guys its relatively easy Depp,Smith,Cruise,DiCaprio,Pitt,Downey,Washington and Clooney Crowe used to be there bot not anymore ... Jackman is knocking but can't quite enter ... Wahlberg and Bale are one step away but they need that one big break ... though Wahlberg needs one or two solid openings for his films and he's in

DDL isn't A-list in the terms we think of it. He pretty much exists outside of "lists" because at this point in his career he makes 1 film every five years and picks every role as a way to challenge his skills. Nothing to do with box office or anything like that.Meryl Streep I can agree is A-list in a sense because of her string of female-centered hits in the past 6 years (DWP, Mamma Mia, Julie and Julia, It's Complicated, Hope Springs). She pushed a universally-panned Iron Lady to 30 million and a Oscar win.

Julia Roberts ?A List ?In 2012 ?That s a good one.I ll add that there is another factor about a list is how well you do overseas and I am telling you, a lot of actors are disqualified if you take the overseas factor into accountOut :Sandra Bullock is a major star only in the USa, The BlinD Side was not even released in theaters in France.Same for Adam Sandler, he is a nobody outside of USA.The only A list superstar as far as actresses go is Angelina Jolie but you know why, it has almost nothing to do with her job as an actress.Worldwide, I would say the most popular actor in the world is Will Smith, he can open a movie, globally, which very few actors can.Anyway, this discussion is a bit complicated since everybody has a slightly different definition of A List.

Worldwide-wise, only WS and TC, based on what you said, not even Depp or Pitt or Leo.

I agree about DDL and especially Meryl StreepI mean not only is she insanely sought out for ( at her age at that ) but she has had consistent BO success ... she is actually the most consistently lucrative actress in the last 10 years I would sayNo blockbusters nor action roles ( duh ) but a lot of films with strong successJennifer Lawrence being called A- list is ridiculous ... Emma Stone too but if she keeps picking roles like she has she'll be thereWitherspoon has fallen off lately but she was on an insane hot streak that she is now still considered A-list even though she hasn't had much success last few yearsAs for the guys its relatively easyDepp,Smith,Cruise,DiCaprio,Pitt,Downey,Washington and ClooneyCrowe used to be there bot not anymore ... Jackman is knocking but can't quite enter ... Wahlberg and Bale are one step away but they need that one big break ... though Wahlberg needs one or two solid openings for his films and he's in

Before Ironman, Downey is a C-list. Clooney can not open a movie well really, but somehow he is always considered A lister.

Firedeep did you make that list based on what was said in this thread? If so I don't think Sandler should be there. Can he open a sci-fi movie or a musical I doubt it.

But what is wrong with comedies exclusively ? He dont need to lead an action movie.One can also be A lsiter, a super star, being in comedies only.

Ok, this is bothering me, certificated is the wrong word to use. It's a past-tense verb, not an adjective, and it specifically deals with physical certificates.The correct word to use here is certified, since that's an actual adjective in addition to its past-tense verb use.

• Like 1

Ok, this is bothering me, certificated is the wrong word to use. It's a past-tense verb, not an adjective, and it specifically deals with physical certificates.The correct word to use here is certified, since that's an actual adjective in addition to its past-tense verb use.

Thanks for the correction. :)