A Marvel Fanboy

The A List

MEN

1.Leonardo DiCaprio (pretty much #1 at this moment by headlining so many big hits that are not franchise properties)

2.RDJ (He's huge but lately just plays his famous role)

3.Brad Pitt (as consistent as dicaprio without relying on franchises)

4.Johnny Depp (same as RDJ but i think he is on his way out. I think Transcendence will flop hard)

5.Will Smith (He past his prime but still a big star, even After Earth didn;t lose money)

6.Tom Cruise (Also past his prime, still has the M:I franchise but his other movies doing just ok but nothing exceptional)

7.George Clooney (He doesn't have many big hits becauses he chooses smaller films and carries them to succcess. As far as prestige goes he's #1, he's the mayor of Hollywood)

8.Adam Sandler (not as consistent as he was some years ago but still makes hits)

9.Tom Hanks (After a few years off he came back this year in a big way with Captain Phillips and Saving Mr Banks)

10.Denzel Washington (never had a huge hit, but he is pretty consistently succesfull for ages)

pretty close

11.Ben Affleck (He's already a-lister director but with Fincher's Gone Girl and SupermanvsBatman he could be also A list as an actor)

12.Christian Bale (He's making money in the right projects, AH helps him a lot)

13.Matthew McConaughy (He might win an oscar and has a potential blockbuster next year with Interstellar)

14.Bradley Cooper (He's been in many succesful movies for years, hasn't headlined a hit yet)

15. Michael Fassbander (He been in many succesful movies for years, hasn't headlined a hit yet)

16.Channing Tatum (He exploded last year but his big star vehicle White House Down flopped hard)

17.Hugh Jackman (star of the X-Men franchise, can be a draw in the right movie)

18.Russell Crowe (can be a draw in the right movie)

WOMEN

1.Sandra Bullock (after Gravity I think she is as huge as Roberts was in the 90s)

2.Jennifer Lawrence (Her performance is integral to THG mega success, oscar, 2 back 2 back award winning big hits, Hollywood is head over heels in love with her.)

3.Melissa McCarthy (has three big comedy hits in a row)

4.Meryl Streep (pretty consistently succesful at the boxoffice since Devils wears Prada)

5.Julia Roberts (she's like Tom Cruise on a smaller scale. Doesn't have huge hits anymore but she was such a big superstar for so long that her movies continue to do ok)

6.Anne Hathaway (She's been in many succesful movies for a decade and even if Les Mis was a supporting role, her performance and oscar glory was a big factor in its success. Also has Interstellar)

pretty close

6.Natalie Portman (Black Swan technically made her a legit star but has done only supporting roles and indies since)

7.Jessica Chastain (her 2 leading turns in ZDT and Mama did very well, awards darling, Interstellar will help her a lot)

8.Amy Adams (been in many succesful movies over the years, awards darling, she hasn't headlined a hit yet)

9.Emma Stone (been in succesful movies over the years, more of them supporting but she starred in Easy A)

10.Rooney Mara (That's more wishful thinking. GWTDT made her known to the public but she's still way behind the above actressess in terms of star power. I hope in 5 years from now she will be a huge star, she's amazing)

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

The Rock is very famous and helps a lot as an addition in franchises like Fast&Furious and GIJoe but as a leading man i think he is definately not a-list.

Wahlberg on the other hand even though he wasn't the biggest draw in some of his hits (Ted, Fighter) he is pretty consistent for over a decade and i think he is A list.

My definition of a box office A-lister is an actor or actress who can carry a mid to big budget movie so many of the actors on your list and most actresses on your list are not A-listers. Rooney Mara is hardly an A-lister by any definition outside of name recognition. Amy Adams is an A-lister based on her awards nominations but that's pretty much it.Same goes for Jessica Chastain. Ben Affleck has never carried any movie as an actor that he hasn't directed as well. And so on.

The Rock is very famous and helps a lot as an addition in franchises like Fast&Furious and GIJoe but as a leading man i think he is definately not a-list.

Wahlberg on the other hand even though he wasn't the biggest draw in some of his hits (Ted, Fighter) he is pretty consistent for over a decade and i think he is A list.

The Rock is an A-lister. period. Studios seek him out to headline movies and pay him big bucks. If that's not the very definition of an A-lister then I don't know what is.

• Like 1

My definition of a box office A-lister is an actor or actress who can carry a mid to big budget movie so many of the actors on your list and most actresses on your list are not A-listers. Rooney Mara is hardly an A-lister by any definition outside of name recognition. Amy Adams is an A-lister based on her awards nominations but that's pretty much it.Same goes for Jessica Chastain. Ben Affleck has never carried any movie as an actor that he hasn't directed as well. And so on.

I said all of those are pretty close except Mara who isn't but I hope she makes it one day. I meant that they are well known, been in succesful movies but they still lack a movie hit based solely on their name. The are one or two big roles away to become A-list.

Here is the thread to discuss current hottest actors/actresses in Hollywood, the A-list.

Actors:

Johnny Depp [Certificated]

Will Smith [Certificated]

Tom Cruise [Certificated]

Leonardo DiCaprio (#1 70s) [Certificated]

Robert Downey Jr. [Certificated]

Brad Pitt [Certificated]

Adam Sandler [Certificated]

Denzel Washington [Certificated]

Christian Bale [Certificated]

Mark Wahlberg [Certificated]

Matt Damon [Certificated]

Hugh Jackman [Certificated]

Russell Crowe [Certificated]

Ben Stiller [Certificated]

Bradley Cooper [Disputed]

Michael Fassbender [Disputed]

VinceVaughn [Disputed]

Owen Wilson [Disputed]

Chris Hemsworth (#1 80s) [Disputed]

Ryan Gosling [Disputed]

Chris Pine [Disputed]

Nicolas Cage [is he no more ?]

Robert Pattinson [Dismissed for only been in the Twilight movies]

Shia LaBeouf [Dismissed]

Charlie Sheen [Dismissed for being a TV actor ]

Actresses:

Meryl Streep [Certificated]

Angelina Jolie [Certificated]

Natalie Portman (#1 80s) [Certificated]

Reese Witherspoon [Certificated]

Cameron Diaz [Certificated]

Sandra Bullock [Certificated]

Jennifer Aniston [Certificated]

Charlize Theron [Certificated]

Keira Knightley [Dismissed by Fishnets ]

Anne Hathaway [Certificated]

Jessica Chastan [Disputed]

Milena Kunis [Disputed]

Katherine Heigl [Disputed]

Scarlett Johansson [is she now ?]

Kristen Stewart [Disputed]

Emma Stone [Disputed]

Emma Watson [Disputed]

Jennifer Lawrence (#1 90s) [Disputed]

Chloe Moretz [Dismissed for being too young ]

So according to this, Anne Hathaway is an A lister yet JLawrence isn't? I call bullshit on this list. She's more of an A lister than Witherspoon or Portman.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

So according to this, Anne Hathaway is an A lister yet JLawrence isn't? I call bullshit on this list. She's more of an A lister than Witherspoon or Portman.

To be honest, I think Hathaway and Portman both look better than Lawrence.

JLaw is legit A-list. To be honest, I think right now she is tied with Sandra Bullock and Angelina Jolie at the top of the list. Scarlett Johansson's problem (?) is that she is an Indie actress at heart so she is going to pick offbeat movies more often than not. Movies like that rarely make money and this hurts her claim to A-list status.