Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

In theory, you want HBO to have big successful shows, because that then lets them do smaller shows. Who knows how it will turn out in practice though

HBO has always had big successful shows, and their business model/prestige has kept them successful, even to the point where WBD rolls in HBO subscribers into their streaming operations to make those operations look profitable to shareholders.

I’m not against IP-based shows on HBO. Some of their biggest shows like Big Little Lies, The Last of Us, and most obviously Game of Thrones are based on well-known properties. It would just suck if there’s less space/money/resources in the future for shows like Barry, Succession, The White Lotus, etc. because they want to try to cash in on Harry Potter and DC (again) because their previous attempts to make them work in theaters flopped.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

HBO has always had big successful shows, and their business model/prestige has kept them successful, even to the point where WBD rolls in HBO subscribers into their streaming operations to make those operations look profitable to shareholders.

I’m not against IP-based shows HBO. Some of their biggest shows like Big Little Lies, The Last of Us, and most obviously Game of Thrones are based on well-known properties. It would just suck if there’s less space/money resources in the future for shows like Barry, Succession, The White Lotus, etc. because they want to try to cash in on Harry Potter and DC (again) because their previous attempts to make them work in theaters flopped.

I really miss the HBO produced History based Miniseries..."Band of Brothers" "John Adams" (still the single best thing I have seen in movies or TV about the American Revolution) "The Pacific" etc.

Thank heaven Apple picked up "Masters of the Air" after HBO Passed on it despite the huge sucess of "Band Of Brothers" and "The Pacific" produced by the same Hanks/Spielberg company.

I would even bet that "The Sopranos" would be a hard sell for HBO nowdays since it does fit in  well what they consider their target audience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I really miss the HBO produced History based Miniseries..."Band of Brothers" "John Adams" (still the single best thing I have seen in movies or TV about the American Revolution) "The Pacific" etc.

Thank heaven Apple picked up "Masters of the Air" after HBO Passed on it despite the huge sucess of "Band Of Brothers" and "The Pacific" produced by the same Hanks/Spielberg company.

I would even bet that "The Sopranos" would be a hard sell for HBO nowdays since it does fit in  well what they consider their target audience.

John Adams was outstanding! I watch that in full once every couple years.