Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

10 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

No wonder Rowling is onboard with the reboot idea. She wants people to forget about the previous actors. 

This shit is so weird. It's like Rowling is actively trying to destroy her own reputation. I guess since she is a billionaire she thinks she can act however she wants.

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

No wonder Rowling is onboard with the reboot idea. She wants people to forget about the previous actors. 

Is she? That's not the sense I got from the big WSJ article which both pointed out this can go ahead no matter what Rowling says and they intended to reduce her creative involvement. It seems genuinely unclear to me what Rowling's opinion of the reboot is apart from being willing to do the minimal positive pr stuff. She was clearly not happy with FB3 stuff from WB.

After reading that piece, I can imagine actions fitting Rowling being somewhat disgruntled 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

18 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Is she? That's not the sense I got from the big WSJ article which both pointed out this can go ahead no matter what Rowling says and they intended to reduce her creative involvement. It seems genuinely unclear to me what Rowling's opinion of the reboot is apart from being willing to do the minimal positive pr stuff. She was clearly not happy with FB3 stuff from WB.

After reading that piece, I can imagine actions fitting Rowling being somewhat disgruntled 

How could she be disgruntled? It was her idea to make a series supposedly about "Fantastic Beasts" into Dumbledore's origin!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

This shit is so weird. It's like Rowling is actively trying to destroy her own reputation. I guess since she is a billionaire she thinks she can act however she wants.

I would hate like hell to be her PR person........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

How could she be disgruntled? It was her idea to make a series supposedly about "Fantastic Beasts" into Dumbledore's origin!

I  think that was in reaction to the somewhat tepid response to the first FB movie.

But IMHO It did not work;.

I honestly think she said everything she wanted to say about the Wizarding World in the Potter novels, and now she is just milking the cash cow. I Give Tolkien a lot of credit for knowhing when to quit, he actually started a seqeul to Lord of the Rings, after a chapter saw it was going noplace wan was just a not very good thriller, and quit.

I think your argument is essentially just that JKR deserved to less creative freedom after being pretty undeniably responsible for the unique flaws of Fantastic Beasts 2 (FWIW I agree) but that's just a very different claim. This is just an inherent point of conflict because people can understand the mechanics of studio meddling without being compelled to agree with it.

14 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Fantastic Beasts 3 has all the hallmarks of something the studio sliced and diced to death due to a fundamental lack of trust in the film (starting with Rowling being forced to bring on a cowriter and continuing onto the film being delayed and retooled to serve as a soft finale). I'd say FB2 & 3 are both bad films but are bad in very different ways. The former show's Rowling struggling to transform her novel quirks into a screenplay (while also having what I agree is a dumb reorientation of the subfranchise). The later is just a film that was thrown into a blender by the studio where set pieces are saved but anything connecting them has been heavily messed with. 

The "original creative head" of any film like this will be reasonably angry at the studio over the forced changes (especially as they seem designed to just deliver a minimum viable product that gives them an off ramp for the franchise after the film). Momoa's apparently still angry about how Conan was recut by the studio and that's valid even if I doubt Momoa's right to think there's a good & profitable cut of the film the studio ignored. 

Rowling also was clearly either was told by WB to not promote FB3 or actively refused to promote the film beyond a minimal level. The former option clearly would make Rowling unhappy and the later would be evidence of disgruntledness. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Led by Dune: Part Two and Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, Warner Bros has crossed the $1B mark at the international box office, becoming the first studio to reach the milestone this year. Getting there in just 15 weeks, this also sets a new speed record for WB, besting the 17 weeks it took in 2018. The full international estimate through today is $1.04B.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 1

Didn't know where else to put this, but since he talks about mainly WB films...

I do think he means well with everything he's done. But sometimes his views are just way off base with what the characters should be.

• Like 2

Guy has earned it, it is what it is. TRAP looks like a huge breakout incoming that's has 2 comeback for director and star in 1 film, both of whom seem to be in WBs pocket.

Well done Zaslav. Well done.

• Knock It Off 2

It’s beyond me why WB is not fast tracking another Conjuring movie, as well as another Annabelle and another Nun. Those movies are so cheap to make and they are printing money.

52 minutes ago, James said:

It’s beyond me why WB is not fast tracking another Conjuring movie, as well as another Annabelle and another Nun. Those movies are so cheap to make and they are printing money.

I think they want to pace them out rahter then  bring out too many in to short a time.

1 hour ago, James said:

Conjuring Universe entries usually came out about 1.25ish years after the last one, so we still have time. Of course there are some outliers (ACH only 10 months after The Nun). 

Only main issue is now, Conjuring 1 & 2 we're able to successfully generate spin-off characters. 3 had nothing audiences really gravitated to any spin-off character. 

Conjuring 4 should be filming soon and hopefully some more can come out of the franchise, but some series aren't made to last forever. 

Edited by crazymoviekid

On 4/11/2024 at 8:49 PM, Mojoguy said:

Oh, she can. She has plenty of what is called Fuck You Money. Provided you don't care what you do with your  image.

And Rowling has done severe damage to her image.