The Toymaker

Do you want to see James Bond portrayed with a different ethnicity?

Do you want a black James Bond?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a black James Bond?

2. 2. Do you think that a black Bond would make 007 bomb at the box office?

It's impossible to have evidence to prove something that hasn't happened yet and will never happen. I can only go on my feeling, and my feeling tells me that the general audience would not be happy if Bond were black.It's also good to know that you have zero evidence in your defence.

• Like 1

It's impossible to have evidence to prove something that hasn't happened yet and will never happen. I can only go on my feeling, and my feeling tells me that the general audience would not be happy if Bond were black.It's also good to know that you have zero evidence in your defence.

Oh it most certainly is possible to put up a reasonable argument about how something will turn regardless of if it happens or not. Just look at the Box Office Derby, people make predictions all the time based off all kinds of reasoning. And if a film is cancelled it doesn't mean the reasoning they used somehow doesn't exist anymore, its just it will never be able to be tested and shown to be true or false. So stop being a total pussy and avoiding the question and answer this.What evidence do you have that a black bond will piss off a lot of people?Lemme guess "Because race affects everything!"

If bond was black, it would piss off a lot of the general audience.

It might "piss off" some, but I doubt it would "piss off" a lot. A change doesn't have to piss people off to have an effect on attendance. Simple apathy can do the job. A lot of people were pretty apathetic about another Batman film. Which was proven by it doing less than half of Spider-Man's attendance. They seemed to get over it with the sequel though. Now there wasn't a change in the race of the main character, it was just a change in tone.However, I think if the film was excellent, people would eventually come around to the idea of a Bond with a different ethnicity. It could take two films for them to fully accept it, but quality is quality and if he pulled off a memorable Bond, there's no reason it couldn't get to the 250m+ range by at least the third film, maybe even the second. Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

That's because the Asian just isn't very attractive.

Still, they changed her race and fans more than accepted it, not because she was more beautiful, but because she was a better(or at least more charismatic) actress.

People have very short term memories too. When Daniel Craig was cast their was a bit of an uproar that he was the first blonde bond. Most people didn't care in the slightest after the movie came out and they discovered that it was really quite good.I'm sure a black bond will be quite jarring at first, but if the movie is good, people are not going to stay home en masse because he is now a darkie.

• Like 1

It might "piss off" some, but I doubt it would "piss off" a lot. A change doesn't have to piss people off to have an effect on attendance. Simple apathy can do the job. A lot of people were pretty apathetic about another Batman film. Which was proven by it doing less than half of Spider-Man's attendance. They seemed to get over it with the sequel though. Now there wasn't a change in the race of the main character, it was just a change in tone.

However, I think if the film was excellent, people would eventually come around to the idea of a Bond with a different ethnicity. It could take two films for them to fully accept it, but quality is quality and if he pulled off a memorable Bond, there's no reason it couldn't get to the 250m+ range by at least the third film, maybe even the second.

And doing this would make them lose out on quite a lot of money. Its just seems pointless to me. There are too many white people that can play Bond so well that there is no point in even changing race...

Still, they changed her race and fans more than accepted it, not because she was more beautiful, but because she was a better(or at least more charismatic) actress.

Fans accepted it because she isn't a big character, James Bond is.

People have very short term memories too. When Daniel Craig was cast their was a bit of an uproar that he was the first blonde bond. Most people didn't care in the slightest after the movie came out and they discovered that it was really quite good.I'm sure a black bond will be quite jarring at first, but if the movie is good, people are not going to stay home en masse because he is now a darkie.

Blond hair is a little different to being a completely different race...

Why?We have seen Felix and M change Gender and Colour before, why not Bond? Do you think people are still hung up about Colour like they were in the 50s?

Because bond is one of, if not, the most famous movie character there is, M and Felix are minor character so a race change really isn't going to matter. I don't think it's as bad as it was in the 50's, but it still wouldn't be a great idea from a business point of view. There are so many good white candidates for bond that it makes this whole conversation actually kind of pointless. There really is no need in changing. Also its the brits that wont take a race change too kindly, I have no idea how Americans would react. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1