A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

China’s box office jumped 52.9% in the first six months of 2023 with ticket sales of $3.7bn (RMB26.3bn), marking the first such year-on-year increase since the Covid-19 pandemic.

It does not mark a complete recovery as the figures remain 15.7% down on the same period in pre-pandemic 2019. But robust growth was seen in June with takings of $581.8m (RMB 4.13bn), up 115% on 2022 and down a mere 0.8% on 2019. The results almost equalled pre-pandemic levels for the first time, according to data provided by Artisan Gateway.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:49 AM, The GOAT said:

Some movie about a crazy broad is going full Wolf Warrior. 

Will this affect the Mission Impossible 7 here? 

Wolf Warrior is the good comparsion,the social impact of “Lost in the Stars” is same as that.I’d count the movie as “female version’s Wolf Warrior”,the Wolf Warrior awaken common people’s patriotic awareness and Lost in the Stars awaken Chinese women’s “women power/ right “awareness,and also with the not-bad quality,that’s why they are succeed.

Edited by Sophia Jane

Guys I wanted ask a strange question, for about a couple of months I've been playing this indie game for mobile phones which is called Sky and it's made by an American company, but I recently found out that the majority of the players are from China (followed by Japan) so I wanted to know if anyone here knows about it  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, MG10 said:

Guys I wanted ask a strange question, for about a couple of months I've been playing this indie game for mobile phones which is called Sky and it's made by an American company, but I recently found out that the majority of the players are from China (followed by Japan) so I wanted to know if anyone here knows about it  🤷‍♂️

You mean 光.遇?That is the game made by the Chinese man called Chen Xinghan,and that game is very popular among the otaku in China,maybe only after Glory of King ,PIBG,Genshin impact..etc.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

You mean 光.遇?That is the game made by the Chinese man called Chen Xinghan,and that game is very popular among the otaku in China,maybe only after Glory of King ,PIBG,Genshin impact..etc.

Ah yeah that's the game, and after checking he was indeed the founder of the company together with Kellee Santiago who instead is from Venezuela

And I'm glad to hear the game is so popular at least in China, it's very enjoyable and relaxing but it seems to have a low number of downloads in Europe

Another ¥50M previews for "Never Say Never" - totalling up to ¥421M // "Lost In The Stars" drop less than 50% from Last WED - ¥110M / ¥2675M. 

Tomorrow, "White Storm 3" &"Never Say Never" expecting a bit more for Never Say Never then WS3 (which have ¥3M Previews today)

Any who gives 79K previews?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

THU Forecast

¥86.70M - Lost In The Stars

¥58.64M - Never Say Never

¥48.32M - White Storm 3 

I am expecting NSN to be another LitS. Well let's see.

So many locals making insane money right now. Any idea will they hurt MI7 somehow?? And any another big Chinese release or potential breakout that open during MI7 weekend or week after?

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Oppenheimer seems to purge in China. From Writer's source - it's been in waiting list and Censors seems to give more pass to romance films.

Writer's source didn't accuse Censors but questioning Universal mediator relevance.

No wonder they don’t let it release in China. Movies about US military always gets banned like Maverick. China maybe has softened their regulations to Hollywood and change some of their movie regulators since then but still it’s nearly impossible to let US documentary war movie gets release.

17 minutes ago, Claudio said:

So many locals making insane money right now. Any idea will they hurt MI7 somehow?? And any another big Chinese release or potential breakout that open during MI7 weekend or week after?

I feel WTS (Maoyan/Taopiaopiao) unusual.

Oh My School! opens on the same day as MI7 (WTS 188K vs 134K). PS window is opened for OMS (MI7 should open today in 2 hrs per my source)

The Biggest Competition will be on 20 July with Creation Of Gods (WTS 294K &OD PS ¥1.28M) & Next Day i.e. 21 July with 超能一家人 (WTS 923K &OD PS started while ago ¥729)

I would call it a free 7-Days run until Creation &超能一家人 (Both likely cannibalising each other) but I am more afraid of 超能一家人 which was the most anticipated movie of 2021 Spring Festival until "Watergate Bridge" entered the scene and they were forced to pull out. It's like wow that it took 2 years to find a release date.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I feel WTS (Maoyan/Taopiaopiao) unusual.

Oh My School! opens on the same day as MI7 (WTS 188K vs 134K). PS window is opened for OMS (MI7 should open today in 2 hrs per my source)

The Biggest Competition will be on 20 July with Creation Of Gods (WTS 294K &OD PS ¥1.28M) & Next Day i.e. 21 July with 超能一家人 (WTS 923K &OD PS started while ago ¥729)

I would call it a free 7-Days run until Creation &超能一家人 (Both likely cannibalising each other) but I am more afraid of 超能一家人 which was the most anticipated movie of 2021 Spring Festival until "Watergate Bridge" entered the scene and they were forced to pull out. It's like wow that it took 2 years to find a release date.

Well, looks like MI7 got *not so good* release date. Fingers crossed the movie also resonates with audiences and grow good legs to thrive between the competition.