A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Wow,I heard The three-body problem will be adapted as a movie in 2023,if this become true I believe The three-body problem easily become the Highest grossing film of all-time in China,the book series is just super popular,¥8000M is likely.

I also heard that The three-body problem series is popular in the entire world,I will expected to see the oversea gross.

Edited by Bruce

It's hard. Those key plots about the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution in the book of Three Body Problem can't be depicted in big screen. General audience believe a film adaptation can't tell the story they want though everybody is looking forward to it. Huge opening with weak legs for the movie IMO.

8 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

It's hard. Those key plots about the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution in the book of Three Body Problem can't be depicted in big screen. General audience believe a film adaptation can't tell the story they want though everybody is looking forward to it. Huge opening with weak legs for the movie IMO.

Well,the culture revolution part can change as another history event .

Also,even the wandering Earth by Liu Cixin gross near $700m in China,for Three body problem at least gross double of TWE.The popularity of two books are not at same level.Liu cixin's book is the biggest Sci-Fi IP here right now.

In China our internet media always said The three-body problem is insanely popular in the foreign country,so Probably the three body problem can gross$100-200m oversea.

Edited by Bruce

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

Well,the culture revolution part can change as another history event .

Also,even the wandering Earth by Liu Cixin gross near $700m in China,for Three body problem at least gross double of TWE.The popularity of two books are not at same level.Liu cixin's book is the biggest Sci-Fi IP here right now.

In China our internet media always said The three-body problem is insanely popular in the foreign country,so Probably the three body problem can gross$100-200m oversea.

I think Wandering Earth and Three Body Problem are different.

In terms of original books, Three Body Problem series have been more popular and higher status. Although the book of The Wandering Earth also told a great sci-fi story, general audience especially sci-fi fans didn't expect the film version could work as a sci-fi movie or retold those major plots from book until it debuted in theaters. The expectations were very low. And the movie earned huge money and great reactions even though it ignore the original story and characters from book.

But for Three Body Problem, general audience have a total different attitude on film retelling. If filmmakers of the movie just use the concept of three suns and ignore any major plot in books, people will definitely show strong resistance, because the consciousness for Three Body Problem have been formed by the books. Any news or detail incl BTS stuff will be closely examined by public. Any slight difference could cause big controversy. It's like the Bible of Chinese Sci-Fi, like what OT of Star Wars mean to die hard SW fans. And what TWE crew did is like what Marvel did for MCU with second-tier characters at beginning.

If there is a TBP movie, it will easily top what TWE made for opening box office. But the story is hard to be told as a movie. The book is too complicated to be adapted in terms of story structure (in some ways it's like DUNE). Censorship will also kill some major plots and character motivations. And yes, those can be replaced by different history events and characters, but it will make people angry and think the movie only have a title call TBP. 

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

With Wu Jing being casted on "Meg 2: The Trench", how likely had $300M China &$1000M WW has became possible?

Original one made $153M per BOM.

$1000M isn’t possible for the Meg 2 unless it makes over $600M in China. It would not increase in most other countries. Domestically I could see it dropping 50%.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MultiverseXXR said:

$1000M isn’t possible for the Meg 2 unless it makes over $600M in China. It would not increase in most other countries. Domestically I could see it dropping 50%.

Thanks for clarifying it. I haven't watched the Original one so basically I have zero knowledge about its plot/context ----___----.

Did original one had bad reception? Or something else...

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

But for Three Body Problem, general audience have a total different attitude on film retelling. If filmmakers of the movie just use the concept of three suns and ignore any major plot in books, people will definitely show strong resistance, because the consciousness for Three Body Problem have been formed by the books. Any news or detail incl BTS stuff will be closely examined by public. Any slight difference could cause big controversy. It's like the Bible of Chinese Sci-Fi, like what OT of Star Wars mean to die hard SW fans. And what TWE crew did is like what Marvel did for MCU with second-tier characters at begin

You got the point

TBP have super big fanbase in China,any different change will cause the anger of fans,so the best way to solve the problem is trying their best to make 90%+ retelling.

Acutally we don't really care about the culture revolution,that could be another history event,and most of us also understand why this should be change,so that's not a problem,what I mean is don't change another part of story which can shown on screen.

Edited by Bruce

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Thanks for clarifying it. I haven't watched the Original one so basically I have zero knowledge about its plot/context ----___----.

Did original one had bad reception? Or something else...

Medium reception I’d say, but dropping like 20-60% is the norm for sequels 

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Medium reception I’d say, but dropping like 20-60% is the norm for sequels 

Well, in that case. It's China B.O. > NA B.O. Likely be a big Wildcard with Wu Jing popularity across Mainland China..

Spoiler

Well, it's just a joke. But, it will be very funny if it outgross AG:EG (¥4250M) here as mentioned above (need $600M+ China for $1000M WW) ----___-----

On 4/19/2022 at 1:44 AM, Bruce said:

Wow,I heard The three-body problem will be adapted as a movie in 2023,if this become true I believe The three-body problem easily become the Highest grossing film of all-time in China,the book series is just super popular,¥8000M is likely.

I also heard that The three-body problem series is popular in the entire world,I will expected to see the oversea gross.

three body problem series by tencent

the netflix version also underway

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Issac Newton said:

Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 is dead from releasing in Mainland China. 😰 After anime account (@animejujutsu) accidentally recognise Taiwan as an country! 

People who can't see this post (if it gets deleted)

20220324-113533.jpg

The Chinese side are currently waiting for response from our country main account as stated in Weibo (even by MediaLink too!)

20220324-114255.jpg

MediaLink post!!!

Screenshot-2022-0324-114411.jpg

Officially Dead. 

No updates since then ----__----

Screenshot-2022-0420-191956.jpg

On 3/25/2022 at 8:52 PM, Issac Newton said:

Has moved! 

3c30cb2fgy1h0m4b5gwiej20qo11iq4u.jpg

"Lighting Up The Stars 2" 《人生大事2》confirmed before release. I think they are certain of it's success !!! 

Original one has 245K+ anticipated fans with ¥2.1M /$330K previews before general release being delayed owning to re-settle Wuhan Variants Immigrants.

007aq45rly1h1fyy95c7xj31020iitu1.jpg