A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Because, so far, the international cume isn't that exciting? For most overseas markets it seems to be "been there, done that and we don't care too much anymore".

I dont how much marketing they did in the US, but here in China, as I said a few days ago, Fox is putting on the heaviest promotion ever for a foreign film on Titanic, and I do mean heaviest. Besides, IMO Titanic stroke China more shockly than it ever did to any of other countries back in 1998.

Here are some reasons I can come up for the exploding of Titanic 3D in China:1, The main movie goers here are young people between 20~40 years old. They went to see Titanic in 1998 with their parents or lovers. And now they just come back. Do you have any idea of how many couples of young lovers there are in China ? 100M+ !2, Titanic is the BIG movie with spectacular scences and love story, which is always the favourite of the Chinese audience. And all 3 Cameron movies (True Lies, Titanic, Avatar) broke the China box office since 1993. Both Titanic and Cameron (along with his other movies, even the never released Terminator ones) are legend in China.3, They are truely marketing it as an event movie in China, not just a regular re-release (in fact, very few re-releases happened here). And the marketing not only focuses on the effective 3D but also the gorgeous movie itself. I doubt how many other markets it marketed in this way.4, China has the second most 3D (about 5,000) / IMAX (70) screens in the world with about 4000+ screens available for Titanic 3D. More, 3D/IMAX screening exclusively makes the average price as high as 8.0 $.

Edited by firedeep

hello firedeep. all the US sources say that screen count for china is 2400. where do you get the info about 4000 screens? chinese sources?

Titanic 3D today sails on estimated 4,000 3D screens and 60 IMAX screens in China, with about 35% screens counts and 16,000+ shows per day.

Edited by dezorz

hello firedeep. all the US sources say that screen count for china is 2400. where do you get the info about 4000 screens? chinese sources?

Uh, welcome to the forum. :)Second new member I can welcome today... Wow. A lot of new members as it seems! Have fun!

How do they promote Titanic in China? From the director of AVATAR?

They are promoting it in EVERY way you can think of. They even made a few clips about movie goers, theater employee and filmmakers talking about their memeory about Titanic hitting China in 1998.You basically see Titanic everywhere. Websites, TV, newpapaer, everywhere. CCTV, the government-owned and the biggest TV network in China, even did a couple programs and TV shows about the film. I have no doubt that this is the biggest promotion for a foreign film in China, ever. Edited by vc2002

That 2400 info is obviously wrong. There are about 5,000 3D screens now and Titanic takes most of them.

ok. thanks.

for comparison, deadline, nikki:

´For instance, those territories with the most dramatic increases in screen counts include China (2,400 today vs 571 in 1997), Russia (796 vs 23), India (230 vs 82), South Korea (232 vs 75), and Japan (463 vs 263). In 1997, Fox released Titanic on approximately 7,000 screens for all of international (adding up the screen counts at the widest point of release in every territory). Whereas Titanic 3D will be releasing total international (including non-day and date markets) on approximately 8,600 screens.´

They are promoting it in EVERY way you can think of. They even made a few clips about movie goers, theater employee and filmmakers talking about their memeory about Titanic hitting China in 1998.You basically see Titanic everywhere. Websites, TV, newpapaer, everywhere. CCTV, the government-owned and the biggest TV network in China, even did a couple programs and TV shows about the film. I have no doubt that this is the biggest promotion for a foreign film in China, ever.

Sorry, but that's nothing special. It's exactly 100 years this ship did sink. This anniversary was covered worldwide, not only in China. A lot of TV specials and so on. Cameron and his Meridian adventure. Titanic the TV movie. Titanic auctions... It still didn't help too much.

They are promoting it in EVERY way you can think of. They even made a few clips about movie goers, theater employee and filmmakers talking about their memeory about Titanic hitting China in 1998.You basically see Titanic everywhere. Websites, TV, newpapaer, everywhere. CCTV, the government-owned and the biggest TV network in China, even did a couple programs and TV shows about the film. I have no doubt that this is the biggest promotion for a foreign film in China, ever.

exactly. :)

Sorry, but that's nothing special. It's exactly 100 years this ship did sink. This anniversary was covered worldwide, not only in China. A lot of TV specials and so on. Cameron and his Meridian adventure. Titanic the TV movie. Titanic auctions... It still didn't help too much.

As a matter of fact very few people knew this is the 100th anniversary, or even the film was about a real sinking ship. They just knew this was the film that defined a generation of movie goers, and even only for refreshing th memory of the joyful experience they had in 1998 they will be back to Titanic.China is a very unique market. Despite its poor numbers from other market, it will explode in China. Edited by vc2002

Well, the difference is that this (kind of heavy marketing) almost has never happen in China for foreign movies though its common in other countries.Everyone here knows Titanic is back. And thats rare to see.