A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

That would still be damn good - wouldn't that edge out Croods?KFP2 made USD $92M in China. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the all-time highest gross for an animated film in China? And that would have been shocking even if KFP2 *hadn't* been a domestic disappointment. (And I remember that KFP1's $26M was also a major shock in 2008, to the point where even the Chinese government film bureaucrats and others were asking "How did they make a more successful, more 'CHINESE' animated film than us?!" So the Panda franchise already had a history of surpassing expectations in China.)HTTYD2 getting more than $90M would have IMO been more WTF than Pacific Rim doing $100M or Need for Speed doing $67M. I'd love it to happen, but even in my wildest dreams pre-release, I never even considered it remotely possible.(I do, however, think KFP3 has a chance to be at least as big as KFP2. Not sure how much BIGGER, I don't want to get overly optimistic about any more DreamWorks sequels at this point. But it's a Chinese co-production, so it will probably get a very good slot and plenty of breathing room away from Star Wars.)

Edited by TServo2049

That would still be damn good - wouldn't that edge out Croods?KFP2 made USD $92M in China. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the all-time highest gross for an animated film in China? And that would have been shocking even if KFP2 *hadn't* been a domestic disappointment. (And I remember that KFP1's $26M was also a major shock in 2008, to the point where even the Chinese government film bureaucrats and others were asking "How did they make a more successful, more 'CHINESE' animated film than us?!" So the Panda franchise already had a history of surpassing expectations in China.)HTTYD2 getting more than $90M would have IMO been more WTF than Pacific Rim doing $100M or Need for Speed doing $67M. I'd love it to happen, but even in my wildest dreams pre-release, I never even considered it remotely possible.(I do, however, think KFP3 has a chance to be at least as big as KFP2. Not sure how much BIGGER, I don't want to get overly optimistic about any more DreamWorks sequels at this point. But it's a Chinese co-production, so it will probably get a very good slot and plenty of breathing room away from Star Wars.)

KFP2 did more than $99m.

(I do, however, think KFP3 has a chance to be at least as big as KFP2. Not sure how much BIGGER, I don't want to get overly optimistic about any more DreamWorks sequels at this point. But it's a Chinese co-production, so it will probably get a very good slot and plenty of breathing room away from Star Wars.)

SW7 ? If KFP3 and SW7 were released at the same time (which of course wont happen), then SW7 is doomed ...  In reality, KFP3 probably will open in early January after the New Year holiday. And assuming SW7 US release date wont be pushed back, it will be released in late Feb, after the winter holiday.