A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

The Man from Macau just moved to Jan 24 from Jan 31, which will be 8 days before holiday week.  Clearly Bona dont want direct competition with The Monkey King after all. But that is not a choice. Same mistake by Enlight for putting I Want You on Dec 27. The popular TV show adapated musical should open on Dec 24 to benifit the Christmas boost.

Sony Columbia have officially greenlighted Stephen Chow's KungFu 3D. The 2004 blockbuster will be re-released in 2014 in 3D, a guaranteed hit.

Can't wait for TF4 breaking 300m$ next year :)

2014 seems to a small year for both local films and Hollywood ones. 

Edited by firedeep

Friday:

Firestorm ----------33m-------------- 76.4m
NML ----------------9.8m-------------- 187m
Four 2--------------  6.5m------------- 140m
TWS-----------------4.8m---------------202.3M
Gravity--------------- 2m ------------------423.6m
CF--------------------------------------168.6m
Epic-------------------------------------38.7m
Welcome to the Punch--------------4.7m

GRAVITY hit $70M?

Sweet!

Saturday:

Firestorm ----------48.4m-------------- 125m
NML ----------------17.6m-------------- 205m
Four 2--------------  11.2m------------- 145m
TWS----------------- 8m ---------------210M
Gravity--------------- 4.1m ------------------428m
CF-------------------------------------- nearly 170m
Epic------------------------------------- 40m

So around 164m OW for FIRESTORM, very good. 300m should happen even WOM is very average.

Personal Tailor officially opens next Thursday but will have wide previews 18pm on Wednesday. It is the only major comedy for all audience of the whole winter season, which means very loose competition. Should open big and play strong. 800M is floor. 

Btw, distributors for Up in the Wind are Perfect World and Edko, producers include Perfect World (the main investor), CFC and Huayi (supporting investor). Personally I see this one be another Love is not Blind.

Robocop current official date is Feb 6th (not 12th as I put up earlier), one week earlier than its US release. 2.6 is the last day of Chinese new year holiday, which will help a little. Has 200m+ potential.

Offcially date for Hobbit 2 will be annouced later this night. Earlier Feb 8th was my guess but it should be quite close.

Ender's Game 1.7, Jack Ryan 1.17 remain the same, as well as Free Birds.

As always, there can always be any change at any time ...

As written earlier, Media Asia and Emperors As the Light Goes Out, the only release this winter for both the two, moved to 1.3 from 1.7. Media Aisa is bit slow at the moment. They used to be a more positive player than Edko. But now they are totally falling behind. In 2014 the biggest non-state owned distributor probably will be Le Vision, as they have the strongest release line while both Huayi and Enlight will have a smaller year than usual. Think it again, 2014 will be small and pacific year for both local films and Hollywood ones, though year for theater operators, while 2015 huge for almost every studio, domestic or foeign. lol.

It comes out on Christmas Eve. It'll be big, but bar a miracle I don't see it beating Personal Tailor. But after CZ12 Jackie might be resigned to being #2 in December.

Incidentally Personal Tailor doesn't seem to be getting any real IMAX screenings here in Qingdao. It's showing on the two IMAX screens here, but they're not billed as IMAX showings and they're charging the regular non-IMAX ticket price. It seems they're just showing the normal DCPs on the IMAX screens, instead of "real" IMAX versions. Both of our IMAX screens are in Wanda cinemas and Wanda is co-producing/co-presenting Police Story 2013, so I assume they don't want to give any real IMAX screenings to Personal Tailor.

Edited by Bob Violence