A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

China Mulls Upping Film Quota by 10 (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-mulls-upping-film-quota-678697

Yealy quota lifted from 34 to 44 (?) 

Great news if true.

Not happening: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/11/us-china-film-idUSBREA1A0ER20140211

China dashes Hollywood's hopes for greater access in 2014

(Reuters) - China will maintain its strict quota for imported Hollywood movies this year, rejecting reports it had planned to increase access for U.S. films to the world's second-largest cinema market, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Tuesday.

The Hollywood Reporter cited a source last week saying the country's film bureau was mulling increasing Hollywood's quota in China to 44 from the current 34 films it allows each year.

U.S. studios have been taking steps to appeal to the fast-growing Chinese box office, which hit 21.8 billion yuan ($3.60 billion) last year. Production companies like Viacom Inc's Paramount Picture and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc have hired Chinese actors and set up co-productions with Chinese firms to make inroads in the mainland market.

But China's often draconian film regulators hold a tight grip over the market, controlling the inflow of foreign films in order to protect the box office share of domestic ventures.

Edited by grim22

Wednesday est":
Monkey 23m  855m
Macau 19m 331m
Dad 14m  625m
Frz  13.0m  126m(past $20M)

Frozen held pretty well from last Wed. (dropped less than 25%). And last Wed. was a holiday, right Olive?

It also has the best average per showing. WOM must be very good also in China!!!

Edited by HenryBcn

Frozen held pretty well from last Wed. (dropped less than 25%). And last Wed. was a holiday, right Olive?

It also has the better average per showing. WOM must be very good also in China!!!

Yes, last Wed was holiday and Frozen's opening day.

It gets fantastic WOM here, on the ticket-booking website, it receives a excellent 8.9 out of 10 rating by users who bought tickets online.

It has best reviews this year.

http://www.gewara.com/movie/139830172

• Like 1

Yes, last Wed was holiday and Frozen's opening day.It gets fantastic WOM here, on the ticket-booking website, it receives a excellent 8.9 out of 10 rating by users who bought tickets online.It has best reviews this year.http://www.gewara.com/movie/139830172

With less showtimes but WOM spreading do you think it can hold last weekends #s? Fri-sun

We import a trillion dollars of their crap and they limit our exports. No wonder why our economy and currency has gone to hell. I thought Frozen could do 50m + there. No chance now. Could do 100m in Japan though based on S Korea's run.

It never had a chance.

30m by sunday? Never say never

Yes, last Wed was holiday and Frozen's opening day.

It gets fantastic WOM here, on the ticket-booking website, it receives a excellent 8.9 out of 10 rating by users who bought tickets online.

It has best reviews this year.

http://www.gewara.com/movie/139830172

So I looked at the ticket-booking website above, it also shows that the film Dad, where are we going received a 8.5 out of 10.   That's a pretty high score.  I thought I remember people were saying it wasn't a good movie? 

Edited by Ay72998

So I looked at the ticket-booking website above, it also shows that the film Dad, where are we going received a 8.5 out of 10.   That's a pretty high score.  I thought I remember people were saying it was terrible? 

It's terrible because it's just an episode of reality TV show shown on big screen, people loved it though...

Still thinking no more than 35M. Tomorrow half of its showtimes will be lost. If it does 50M, I'll eat my hat!

Should be over 30 by sunday w 2weeks left. 40 locked. 50 possible w the way the dailies are holding.I hope you have a tasty hat!What will you eat when Japan does over 100m ?-)