kayumanggi

PHILIPPINES BOX OFFICE thread​

54 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Very interesting. Of all movies.

IKR. No pattern at all. Viewers' Choice Philippines/Pioneer Films managed to distribute John Wick without cuts yet with Boy Kills World last month I've heard they cut scenes that really hurt the momentum of action scenes. Like in the U.S., no amount of F-words can regulate Eras Tour here too lol.

With Furiosa (It's R-13, just checked now) likely to get more money, hopefully it won't get cuts.

1 hour ago, icebearraven said:

IKR. No pattern at all. Viewers' Choice Philippines/Pioneer Films managed to distribute John Wick without cuts yet with Boy Kills World last month I've heard they cut scenes that really hurt the momentum of action scenes. Like in the U.S., no amount of F-words can regulate Eras Tour here too lol.

With Furiosa (It's R-13, just checked now) likely to get more money, hopefully it won't get cuts.

I guess they thought in POOR THINGS the scenes were integral. But it's the same thing with those movies that got cuts. I don't want my FURIOSA experience to be ruined. Will check on social media first.

• Like 1

Star Cinema collaborated with APT Entertainment and Agosto Dos Pictures to produce the highest-grossing Filipino film of all time, Rewind, which collected nearly $17M at the global box office. GMA Pictures released the movie Firefly last year, which clinched the Best Picture award in the 2023 Metro Manila Film Festival.

Rewind WW is updated to $17M (P980M)

12 minutes ago, icebearraven said:

Saving our cinema

This won't be an MMFF entry. Let's see if the box office pull is still strong despite the changing moviegoing landscape.

Kathryn Top Grossing Titles — "Hello, Love, Goodbye" (₱691M) &"The How's Of Us" (₱690M)

While, "Rewind" last reported number is ₱848M (Unofficial Est at ₱860M) ~ Filipino #1 & All-Time 3rd behind the "Avengers: Endgame" (₱1,733M) &"Avengers: Infinity War" (₱1,223M).

"A Very Good Girl" didn't do anything special but I believe being a sequel "Hello Love Again" should do really better! I know it's hard to resemble "Rewind" nos but yeah let's hope for the best!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This won't be an MMFF entry. Let's see if the box office pull is still strong despite the changing moviegoing landscape.

The first one was released on July. Rewind still showed that paying general audiences are still there.

The buzz on their current real-life relationship + goodwill from critics and audience alike from the first film + exposure from both GMA and ABSCBN networks = I'm confident about this one. The release date is good too: I don't think Wicked will be big and it has two weeks on its own before Moana 2. I'm thinking of a number now close to A Second Chance (2015). 

I'm more curious now where they will release the Vice Ganda movie if not on MMFF. October was good for Vice more than a decade ago but yeah its a different marketplace now. 

Edited by icebearraven
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, icebearraven said:

The first one was released on July. Rewind still showed that paying general audiences are still there.

The buzz on their current real-life relationship + goodwill from critics and audience alike from the first film + exposure from both GMA and ABSCBN networks = I'm confident about this one. The release date is good too: I don't think Wicked will be big and it has two weeks on its own before Moana 2. I'm thinking of a number now close to A Second Chance (2015). 

I'm more curious now where they will release the Vice Ganda movie if not on MMFF. October was good for Vice more than a decade ago but yeah its a different marketplace now. 

Don't get me wrong, if this succeeds, that would obviously be a win for local cinema. I am just exercising some caution since HELLO, LOVE, GOODBYE was a pre-pandemic movie and that the landscape has changed ever since. Kathryn and Alden's separate movie projects didn't really do well as well. The audiences are still there but mostly during December when people spend money without much thinking. If REWIND was released outside MMFF, I don't think it would have made as much. Having said that, what are your early predictions for HELLO, LOVE, AGAIN? I'll say P550M for now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Don't get me wrong, if this succeeds, that would obviously be a win for local cinema. I am just exercising some caution since HELLO, LOVE, GOODBYE was a pre-pandemic movie and that the landscape has changed ever since. Kathryn and Alden's separate movie projects didn't really do well as well. The audiences are still there but mostly during December when people spend money without much thinking. If REWIND was released outside MMFF, I don't think it would have made as much. Having said that, what are your early predictions for HELLO, LOVE, AGAIN? I'll say P550M for now.

I mean, my definition of mega success now is a run similar to A Second Chance (2015) and that film made around ₱550 million in November globally - which is exactly in line with your prediction haha

What I really want to see too are studies about our audience breakdown. Of course, there are crossovers, but I feel like the demo that catapulted Rewind (or Deleter) to success is not exactly the same as the audience that usually boosts Vice Ganda and Vice’s declining demo hasn’t returned fully yet - as kinda shown in 2022. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, icebearraven said:

I mean, my definition of mega success now is a run similar to A Second Chance (2015) and that film made around ₱550 million in November globally - which is exactly in line with your prediction haha

What I really want to see too are studies about our audience breakdown. Of course, there are crossovers, but I feel like the demo that catapulted Rewind (or Deleter) to success is not exactly the same as the audience that usually boosts Vice Ganda and Vice’s declining demo hasn’t returned fully yet - as kinda shown in 2022. 

That's a good point. We don't have that 'no? I wish we had these details. I wonder if studios have access to them because that can help them in their future productions.

21 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

That's a good point. We don't have that 'no? I wish we had these details. I wonder if studios have access to them because that can help them in their future productions.

Yeah. I don’t think they have Cinemascore/PostTrak here. Guess it’s expensive and we don’t have a lot of local major studioes. Maybe they can make Nielsen/Kantar do it idk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wt.. Suzume debut with ₱61,882,104 &Haikyu already Highest Grossing Anime Film is making no sense to me like how much did it debut with? (⁠☉⁠。⁠☉⁠)⁠!(⁠☉⁠。⁠☉⁠)⁠!

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:58 AM, Issac Newton said:

Wt.. Suzume debut with ₱61,882,104 &Haikyu already Highest Grossing Anime Film is making no sense to me like how much did it debut with? (⁠☉⁠。⁠☉⁠)⁠!(⁠☉⁠。⁠☉⁠)⁠!

The theater was absolutely PACKED when I watched this.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

The theater was absolutely PACKED when I watched this.

I meant by numbers it should be above ₱350M to have that record. I am just too surprised that it took the record in a week!

• Like 1