kayumanggi

PHILIPPINES BOX OFFICE thread​

On 3/5/2024 at 11:22 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Hopefully we can watch this in the UK soon. We just got Shake Rattle and Roll extreme on Netflix here, think me and the fiancé will start that in the next day or two

REWIND is now available on Netflix Philippines. You might get it there soon. I'm not really a big fan of the movie. I thought MALLARI and GOMBURZA were better.

9 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Perfect Million ($1M/P56M)

... Decent. Should still enjoy the ticket boost from IMAX/special screens until Godzilla v Kong. Thinking of a final number between $1.5-1.8M

Also, why is Box Office Mojo/The Numbers getting weaker and weaker on intl updates - particularly on WB releases in PH?

• Sad 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:32 AM, kaijukurt said:

Some updates:

431487349_818937566939452_56356749575573

and Dune 2 with only a 35% 2nd weekend drop! (c/o Deadline).

I want to be happy for this, but I just can't. The landscape here has changed. I don't know if it's because of streaming or high ticket prices or both, but this year would be lucky to have a $5M movie this year.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I want to be happy for this, but I just can't. The landscape here has changed. I don't know if it's because of streaming or high ticket prices or both, but this year would be lucky to have a $5M movie this year.

Also, TikTok & buzz. 

It has arguably been giving people (friend groups, couples, etc.) more options to spend their money elsewhere for "experience" or reasons to just stay at home. 

But when works in movies favor, TikTok has been helpful to them too. 'Insidious' last year was likely fueled by midnight screenings as the "thing" that month. Barbenheimer and MMFF too.

And to be fair, animated movies aren't really a hot ticket here (unless you're Frozen 2 or a Disney sequel) and 'Dune' has limits here. The slate this year hasn't been exciting too, our local A-listers have been experimenting in their films, and we really got hurt by the fall of Marvel/Disney live-action adaptations. But if the likes of 'Godzilla x Kong' or 'Deadpool' only does so-so then this market is joever lol.

Lastly, I'm all in for our local studio Viva for releasing films in theatres almost weekly but damn at this point I think it's not doing theatres any help PR-wise. 

For $5M: My bets are Inside Out 2, Joker 2, Moana 2, Deadpool & Wolverine. Social media has been on fire with these films. 

With potential: Venom 3, Twisters (long-shot lol), and if that Vice Ganda-Jun Lana movie turns out to be accessible 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, icebearraven said:

Also, TikTok & buzz. 

It has arguably been giving people (friend groups, couples, etc.) more options to spend their money elsewhere for "experience" or reasons to just stay at home. 

But when works in movies favor, TikTok has been helpful to them too. 'Insidious' last year was likely fueled by midnight screenings as the "thing" that month. Barbenheimer and MMFF too.

And to be fair, animated movies aren't really a hot ticket here (unless you're Frozen 2 or a Disney sequel) and 'Dune' has limits here. The slate this year hasn't been exciting too, our local A-listers have been experimenting in their films, and we really got hurt by the fall of Marvel/Disney live-action adaptations. But if the likes of 'Godzilla x Kong' or 'Deadpool' only does so-so then this market is joever lol.

Lastly, I'm all in for our local studio Viva for releasing films in theatres almost weekly but damn at this point I think it's not doing theatres any help PR-wise. 

For $5M: My bets are Inside Out 2, Joker 2, Moana 2, Deadpool & Wolverine. Social media has been on fire with these films. 

With potential: Venom 3, Twisters (long-shot lol), and if that Vice Ganda-Jun Lana movie turns out to be accessible 

But the brand in particular was big here.

2.56M KUNG FU PANDA [2008]

4.60M KUNG FU PANDA [2011]

Also, in the previous years, even if the movies were terrible, they still made money. Now, it's a struggle even for the good ones.

Streaming is the main culprit, imo. If you are a family of four, you need P1600 on tickets alone. That's enough to pay a Netflix family subscription for 3 months.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

But the brand in particular was big here.

2.56M KUNG FU PANDA [2008]

4.60M KUGN FU PANDA [2011]

Also, in the previous years, even if the movies were terrible, they still made money. Now, it's a struggle even for the good ones.

Streaming is the main culprit, imo. If you are a family of four, you need P1600 on tickets alone. That's enough to pay a Netflix family subscription for 3 months.

I agree that streaming & inflation really made a dent here - particularly in animation. It's like a literal "divide everything by 3-4" on grosses. 

I'll just add an asterisk that Dreamworks (even Illumination for some reason) also have been arguably getting diminished results here even pre-pandemic. HTTYD franchise peaked at $4M in 2019. No data for KP3 tho. 

This is why I'm a biiiit confident with Inside Out 2 and Moana 2 and they have that long gap that benefits Pixar films. Not Frozen 2 level - but enough to close the grosses to pre-pandemic numbers of Toy Story 4 ($4M) or Incredibles 2 ($5M) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, icebearraven said:

... Decent. Should still enjoy the ticket boost from IMAX/special screens until Godzilla v Kong. Thinking of a final number between $1.5-1.8M

Also, why is Box Office Mojo/The Numbers getting weaker and weaker on intl updates - particularly on WB releases in PH?

I will say that the cinema condition getting so poor that Philippines which used to the biggest box office in SEA Countries — is now struggling to make numbers like Vietnam (which was a invisible market a decade back)

This deplorable condition is same as the Korea (awful films &high tix price) atleast good that Korea market has a government body (KOFIC) regulating the numbers (Last year, it was discovered that the Korean Market inflate their film numbers with ghost screening=screenings at late night with no visual audiences and interfering with the work with KOFIC)

In case of Philippines, there isn't even any body to regulate the numbers. Numbers are so poor that Distributor don't even release the numbers. Like how many PR did we had last year on foreign films (The Little Mermaid, Insidious: The Red Door, Mario, Nun II, and Flash?)

Atleast good that MMFF is conducted to some how push the local films but cinema isn't a 2 weeks game how will the rest of the year, cinema will survive without a good film pulling numbers.

It's time to fix this issue soon or its may never recover at all

Philippines, Hong Kong (they just reached at the level of 2011, Christmas, CNY holidays had harsh decline) &Korea are never going to recover if they don't come up with a solution to these existing problem 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I will say that the cinema condition getting so poor that Philippines which used to the biggest box office in SEA Countries — is now struggling to make numbers like Vietnam (which was a invisible market a decade back)

This deplorable condition is same as the Korea (awful films &high tix price) atleast good that Korea market has a government body (KOFIC) regulating the numbers (Last year, it was discovered that the Korean Market inflate their film numbers with ghost screening=screenings at late night with no visual audiences and interfering with the work with KOFIC)

In case of Philippines, there isn't even any body to regulate the numbers. Numbers are so poor that Distributor don't even release the numbers. Like how many PR did we had last year on foreign films (The Little Mermaid, Insidious: The Red Door, Mario, Nun II, and Flash?)

Atleast good that MMFF is conducted to some how push the local films but cinema isn't a 2 weeks game how will the rest of the year, cinema will survive without a good film pulling numbers.

It's time to fix this issue soon or its may never recover at all

Philippines, Hong Kong (they just reached at the level of 2011, Christmas, CNY holidays had harsh decline) &Korea are never going to recover if they don't come up with a solution to these existing problem 

Suspension of amusement tax for local films (2025-2028) is a start but they're gonna need more than this

Star Cinema ('Rewind', 'A Very Good Girl', 'Partners in Crime') seems like they have a 3-month theatrical window before hitting Netflix. I don't have yet an opinion if it's a good distance or not.

This deplorable condition is same as the Korea (awful films &high tix price) atleast good that Korea market has a government body (KOFIC) regulating the numbers

Shoutout to Maid in Malacanang. Why didn't they moved forward with the third one lol I tracked the second film's first two days and there's a clear drop from sales

1 hour ago, icebearraven said:

Suspension of amusement tax for local films (2025-2028) is a start but they're gonna need more than this

Good to know about the act

Star Cinema ('Rewind', 'A Very Good Girl', 'Partners in Crime') seems like they have a 3-month theatrical window before hitting Netflix. I don't have yet an opinion if it's a good distance or not

A Very Good Girl did just above P100M (yeah that's a rarity now but I expect more from Kathryn given with her Box Office Queen status. I wonder how "Elena 1944" will do. Vice Ganda didn't participate in MMFF gave Rewind a very good breakout

Outside MMFF, we have three good totals from A Very Good Girl, Five Breakups and a Romance & Political Twister - Martyr or Murderer

Shoutout to Maid in Malacanang. Why didn't they moved forward with the third one lol I tracked the second film's first two days and there's a clear drop from sales

Won't work twice <⁠(⁠ ̄⁠︶⁠ ̄⁠)⁠>

What to do you think about this film

5 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

If the majority of our cinemas weren't operated by mall tycoons, I'm sure a lot of them would've closed by now. 

My God, this is sooo true. They would have died during the pandemic, but no, they even had their cinemas renovated haha. I think that's also one of the reasons why there was an increase in ticket prices. It's just that life is so hard for people now and going to the movies is not their priority plus the fact that they can just watch at home and wait for the titles on streaming.

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

My God, this is sooo true. They would have died during the pandemic, but no, they even had their cinemas renovated haha. I think that's also one of the reasons why there was an increase in ticket prices. It's just that life is so hard for people now and going to the movies is not their priority plus the fact that they can just watch at home and wait for the titles on streaming.

That's why it pissed me off that my local theatre increased prices WITHOUT renovating

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Good to know about the act

A Very Good Girl did just above P100M (yeah that's a rarity now but I expect more from Kathryn given with her Box Office Queen status. I wonder how "Elena 1944" will do. Vice Ganda didn't participate in MMFF gave Rewind a very good breakout

Outside MMFF, we have three good totals from A Very Good Girl, Five Breakups and a Romance & Political Twister - Martyr or Murderer

Won't work twice <⁠(⁠ ̄⁠︶⁠ ̄⁠)⁠>

What to do you think about this film

'Under Parallel Skies' Director Sigrid Bernardo is GOOD in this genre. 

• Thanks 1