Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I'm driving now so I can't post anymore. I am using voice to text. I would give it a 4 out of 5. It is a good movie and it has incredible performance, very good writing but it's just depressing as anything

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

I'd just like to point out that carefully picking a camera setup that communicates exactly what you want it to say and letting the action continue through that single setup takes just as much style, consideration, and forethought as does a scene shot with a ton of setups. Simplicity is not lack of direction.

• Like 3

I'd just like to point out that carefully picking a camera setup that communicates exactly what you want it to say and letting the action continue through that single setup takes just as much style, consideration, and forethought as does a scene shot with a ton of setups. Simplicity is not lack of direction.

Exactly. The direction, framing, lighting, and the sheer ability he is able to capture the raw and heartbreaking emotion and feeling of terminal illness is just without compare. Greatest direction of the year and it isn't even close. The camera doesn't need to follow the action, let the action happen and let it radiate out to the camera and onto the screen.

Am watching Inglorious Basterds right now, and call me uncultured, but I think this movie needed to be tightened up. I appreciate the dialogue, and it truly is good stuff, but I think some of these talking scenes go on longer than necessarily

Am watching Inglorious Basterds right now, and call me uncultured, but I think this movie needed to be tightened up.I appreciate the dialogue, and it truly is good stuff, but I think some of these talking scenes go on longer than necessarily

If you think that don't go see Django. It's less tight than Basterds.
  • Like 1

Am watching Inglorious Basterds right now, and call me uncultured, but I think this movie needed to be tightened up. I appreciate the dialogue, and it truly is good stuff, but I think some of these talking scenes go on longer than necessarily

IB is a mess of a movie with three amazing, revelatory sequences.

Exactly. The direction, framing, lighting, and the sheer ability he is able to capture the raw and heartbreaking emotion and feeling of terminal illness is just without compare. Greatest direction of the year and it isn't even close. The camera doesn't need to follow the action, let the action happen and let it radiate out to the camera and onto the screen.

Sculpting in time, as Tarkovsky puts it.

Sorry I dont buy that sticking a camera in one spot for 15 minutes is great direction. Argo was much better to me. I think Amour is a good film but Affleck should have been here instead.

Sorry I dont buy that sticking a camera in one spot for 15 minutes is great direction. Argo was much better to me. I think Amour is a good film but Affleck should have been here instead.

Baumer, have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild yet?